Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

Author Topic: [.40d] Relentless Assault (version 1.21!)  (Read 64831 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Relentless Assault
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 07:26:13 pm »

If you want to be really mean, you could give your giants the Dire Weapons that I give the Frost Giants in Civilization Forge. That makes them even more dangerous then they would be otherwise.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 08:11:05 pm »

@Nobody - isn't that normal?  I thought most attackers were generated out of thin air.
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 08:11:41 pm »

Three forts lost--well, too many casualties to keep going, anyway--to a first summer assault by Lizardmen.  I'm thinking this is not the mod to insist on trying a purely trapless defensive strategy from the outset.  That said, a lot more flavorful than the orcs, and losing is fun, after all.
Lizardmen attacked in the very first summer?  They have second level triggers, they shouldn't be quite that quick unless you created a lot of value in the first season.  Unless maybe you have HFS?

Regardless, you don't necessarily have to feel guilty for putting up traps like you usually do; in the late game most of the enemies are trapavoid.
Has anyone else using the manual install had issues with things that spawn at the edge of the map lacking names?  The lizardman civ screen shows plenty of named creatures, but everything that shows up on the side of the map is just "the Lizardmen", and the one migration wave I survived long enough to see (not to worry, they ran straight into withdrawing Lizardmen) had a bunch of nameless dwarves (which is much more of an issue than nameless invaders).  The only other mod I've got in is Wonderment, which is all matgloss and doesn't touch the creature or entity files.
That's to be expected for the lizardmen.  It happens to any creature who doesn't speak, which is also one of the few ways to get enemies to always seige.  Frogmen, elves, werewolves and treants are the same way; they only get names (in fortress mode) when they kill.  It shouldn't be happening to dwarves, make sure they still have the [INTELLIGENT] tag.

If you want to be really mean, you could give your giants the Dire Weapons that I give the Frost Giants in Civilization Forge. That makes them even more dangerous then they would be otherwise.
I definitely considered giving them bigger weapons.  I haven't actually fought many giant sieges yet but if it looks like they need a boost its probably the first thing I'll do.

Oh, by the way, I accidentally genned a map with both this and CivForge loaded.  A few civs didn't gen (probably some sort of upper limit) and the silver xelics all died in worldgen (most of the violet ones too) but otherwise it very nearly worked.  I might have to try it again some time to see if you could actually run a fortress there.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 08:22:30 pm by nil »

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 08:26:11 pm »

I note you don't have progress_trigger_trade in the lizardmen civ entry... perhaps that is defaulting to 1 and causing an early assault? dunno.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 08:57:34 pm »

I note you don't have progress_trigger_trade in the lizardmen civ entry... perhaps that is defaulting to 1 and causing an early assault? dunno.
I actually never use the trade trigger, so if that were it you'd also be seeing Ogres and Treants showing up extra early, which definitely hasn't happened on any of my play-throughs.

I bet it's HFS; I've heard you can detect it via your architecture value in the stocks screen, it might be enough to bump you all or most of the way up to where [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:2] activates.  Of course, if there were nameless dwarves everything could have been totally fubar anyway.

Nobody1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 10:28:46 pm »

That's consistent with my results; every embark has included "Other Features" and I've got Lizardmen in the summer...and the fall...with frogmen in the winter.

Dwarves do have the [INTELLIGENT] tag, but so far I haven't gotten migrants to show up again before getting thoroughly pwned, so it may have been a one-time glitch.

Do traders not show up if a siege is on?  Neither the dwarves nor the gnomes showed up before the Lizardmen came back in second Spring to finish the job, but they definitely survived Worldgen and my Depot was accessible.

This is still crazyawesome, make no mistake.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 11:51:18 pm »

Yeah, traders won't show up during a seige.

Glad you're enjoying it!

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 12:22:54 am »

I managed to gen a Medium world with all civs extant in 1050 (beefed megabeasts for gen, 30 civs start).  Or at least the dwarf mode says all civs are extant. Lizardmen gnomes and humans are the only ones still active in recent years in legends. 

I always though being [can_civ] and [can_learn] resulted in critters ignoring the progress criteria, but I don't know why only lizardmen would show up in that case.

I genned a few more worlds with weaker megabests, they ended more around 250-350.  The gnomes tended to die off.

Maybe another friendly race would help... cuz if the gnomes go down during worldgen, you're out half of your traders which is lame. 

I did notice the Lizardmen typically pulling the elf-zerg maneuver in later years, they might need toning down.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:43:48 am by TheDeadlyShoe »

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 08:50:23 am »

Hmm. Maybe the lizardmen need a bit of changing. I started a fort, by Summer, Frogmen attacked. My miners chased them off, and killed half of them during the chase.

Then came Autumn and Lizardmen. One died in the six stonefall traps(haven't used these in forever), then the rest walked all over my miners, tore them to pieces, and then everyone else.

Maybe make them appear a bit later to the fort's life. They seem a tad tough at the moment to your Starter Seven unless you emphasize on traps a lot right off the start.

No other features in this site either than an underground river.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 08:55:32 am by Ieb »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 12:00:26 pm »

Hmm. Maybe the lizardmen need a bit of changing. I started a fort, by Summer, Frogmen attacked. My miners chased them off, and killed half of them during the chase.

Then came Autumn and Lizardmen. One died in the six stonefall traps(haven't used these in forever), then the rest walked all over my miners, tore them to pieces, and then everyone else.

Maybe make them appear a bit later to the fort's life. They seem a tad tough at the moment to your Starter Seven unless you emphasize on traps a lot right off the start.

No other features in this site either than an underground river.
Hm, they definitely shouldn't be attacking in the first year.  Are you doing lots of mining early on?  I never had this much trouble with the lizardmen, but then I've only done one playthrough.  Otherwise all I can think to do is take away the progress trigger, leaving them with just the population trigger.  Unfortunately, this would either put them out of sync with everyone else or force me to ssitch everyone to population triggers.  Rather not do that second one or else people with slow computers won't see any of the late game enemies (unless pop trigger 5 kicks in sooner than I think?).

On the other hand, just checked and they're a little bigger I thought they were, so I'm gonna go ahead and bump that down one.

Also, TheDeadlyShoe:  Could I get those worldgen seeds by any chance?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:02:06 pm by nil »

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 12:34:26 pm »

Well, lessee. Inspired by the stone layer thread, I grabbed the "stone melts at 9k temp" and put that to all layer stones. So I didn't have much stone, and certainly not that much mining.

Although at the point the lizardmen showed up, I had 65k fort value. Had made some golden mugs to trade for, so I figure with just that, it bumped the fort valuable enough for 'em to arrive.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 01:16:02 pm »

Well, the lizards are still surviving world gen at size 6 so that's definitely in, should make them more survivable.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 06:59:56 am »

Well, finally got wagons into my fort, last time I forgot to lower the bridge. Anyway.

Looks like they did bring at least one rock craft, because there's a mysterious piece of molten diorite in my depot now that's up for trade. How it got there, hell if I know, but there sure isn't "Finis" in Diorite. So my dwarves didn't bring it there.

The traders don't seem phased though. Then again, they rarely bring that many rock crafts.

Vorago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 07:47:31 pm »

Deciding to not use traps (Aside from a short drawbridge in case I need to seal my entire fort up) and so far butchered the two lizardman sieges that have come so far with a single beefed up marksdwarf firing wooden ammo and a leather clad axedwarf (His sparring buddy was holed up with a spine injury in the barracks :\).  Butchered key word, axedwarf sent one lizardman flying off a 6 Z level drop cliff with one hit, hehe.

Only real casualties so far have been to flying jerk creatures picking off dwarves running out to the ass end of nowhere to drink water before my well system was in place.

I had to change which dwarven civ I was starting off as because the default one was, right off the hop, at full out war with the elves, lizardmen and GNOMES oddly enough  O_o  Me likey trade caravens thank you very much

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 09:22:22 pm »

Deciding to not use traps (Aside from a short drawbridge in case I need to seal my entire fort up) and so far butchered the two lizardman sieges that have come so far with a single beefed up marksdwarf firing wooden ammo and a leather clad axedwarf (His sparring buddy was holed up with a spine injury in the barracks :\).  Butchered key word, axedwarf sent one lizardman flying off a 6 Z level drop cliff with one hit, hehe.

Only real casualties so far have been to flying jerk creatures picking off dwarves running out to the ass end of nowhere to drink water before my well system was in place.

I had to change which dwarven civ I was starting off as because the default one was, right off the hop, at full out war with the elves, lizardmen and GNOMES oddly enough  O_o  Me likey trade caravens thank you very much
Awesome.  Wonder what prompted the dwarves and gnomes to war, never seen that before.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22