Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22

Author Topic: [.40d] Relentless Assault (version 1.21!)  (Read 64887 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Relentless Assault (version 1.21)
« Reply #285 on: February 24, 2010, 05:08:36 pm »

what would impact a short world gen? I know this would preserve megabeasts, so overall it is better, don't you think so? Why would I want to run several hundreds of years?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 24, 2010, 05:26:48 pm »

Go too short and civilizations won't have enough time to build up their populations, which means smaller invasions and possibly a longer wait for them.  Also, while there will be plenty of megabeasts in a ten-year old world, they will have done little to no fighting and may/probably will have lower stats as a result.

I haven't really experimented with shorter worldgens (I wanted to stay close to the default when testing) but if I had to guess I'd bet 100-150 years would be enough.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 25, 2010, 12:37:01 am »

I get sieges every month at year 104. The only thing I changed is megabeast size x 3
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #288 on: February 26, 2010, 10:49:42 am »

I think my worldgen stopped at year 325. The first year is almost up, the caravan left a while ago.

But my fortress is still standing! Every dwarf still has a face attached to its cranium!

Ive not been seiged yet.  :'( If more months go by I will be brutally prepared, sieges will probably not pose a challenge. I thought this mod was gonna be harder. Maybe I just picked a bad spot.

Has anyone had any luck combining this with Dig Deeper for even more horrible creatures?

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 26, 2010, 11:06:35 am »

As long as you do not wall yourself in or break the path finding.. Give it a few years and I bet you will be surprised.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #290 on: February 26, 2010, 11:41:41 am »

As long as you do not wall yourself in or break the path finding.. Give it a few years and I bet you will be surprised.

Thats what I plan to avoid. With a rotating schedule, 2 of my 7 starters have been wrestler training constantly since I arrived. Before my third champion the first wave of migrants arrived so Im sure that I could put together a pretty strong militia soon. Ive also been making iron armor and weapons during this time.

Ive made a huge square in front of my fort. In there I will witness the pitched battle between me and the attackers. Hopefully it will be awesome.   ;D

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 26, 2010, 12:48:06 pm »

LOL on mine, I think I have had 80 treeents attacking at once.. was quite a sight.... Yeah... I had to pull up the drawbridge more than once to prevent death...
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 26, 2010, 04:05:38 pm »

Ive not been seiged yet.  :'( If more months go by I will be brutally prepared, sieges will probably not pose a challenge. I thought this mod was gonna be harder. Maybe I just picked a bad spot.

I believe this mod's purpose was to make it more challenging, not killer. Dig Deeper is just finding ways to kill you faster. ;)

This, on the otherhand, just punishes you for being unprepared, unlike in Vanilla. Your not going to die from a goblin siege. However, a treant siege, thats something differant.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 01, 2010, 01:57:19 am »

dig deeper doesnt kill you faster. this is way more effiecient than dd. But dig deeper is good. Im not dissing that
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Re: Relentless Assault (version 1.21 up!)
« Reply #294 on: March 02, 2010, 12:31:32 pm »

Treants effortlessly breaking through my front lines immediately after a werewolf siege

I tested version 1.21 all the way up; only made a couple tweaks from what I put up here (dropped gremlin speed down to 400, changed the innate treant attack from 1-5 to 1-2, made ogres and werewolves angier) so if you downloaded that you can just do those parts yourself or not bother.  But the newest, most complete version is now at the main download page.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Relentless Assault (version 1.21!)
« Reply #295 on: March 11, 2010, 04:35:19 pm »

Still playing RA... I have a question though: Are the frogmen and Lizardmen scripted to wait quite a bit on the edge of the map or not? Because this is what they do and most of the time, it is me who have to get them, so to  break the siege.

I'm wondering in fact if this is somehow my map which is screwed, preventing pathfinding for them, or if it is normal behavior for these races?

Because if for a reason unknown, no invader will ever attack for real (they sit on map border), I prefer to restart... Note though that there is a path, and not an overly complicated one (I have seen worse), so this don't really make sense.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 11, 2010, 07:00:25 pm »

I get this problem too.

It might have anything to do with stuff ranging from meeting zones that can't be pathed to to unusual map sizes that may be screwing up pathfinding; all these are issues with my current map, but may not apply to yours.

What I end up doing is sending out a recuit to lure the enemies in, although recently I've begun building forward towers near their spawn points so I can engage them without having to lure them into my entrance.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 11, 2010, 08:31:57 pm »

I find they wait or stop altogether if they run into any wildlife......  I also find frogmen too cowardly, I broke a seige once by maiming a single guys arm, and didn't even kill anyone...
Nom nom nom

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 12, 2010, 01:43:46 am »

I get this problem too.

It might have anything to do with stuff ranging from meeting zones that can't be pathed to to unusual map sizes that may be screwing up pathfinding; all these are issues with my current map, but may not apply to yours.

What I end up doing is sending out a recuit to lure the enemies in, although recently I've begun building forward towers near their spawn points so I can engage them without having to lure them into my entrance.

This is damn annoying. Are you saying that they want to head to a meeting zone?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 12, 2010, 02:16:44 am »

They might be, but it's only a theory.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22