Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22

Author Topic: [.40d] Relentless Assault (version 1.21!)  (Read 64850 times)

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Relentless Assault
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2009, 12:35:21 am »

Legend mode ahoy!

I've been turtled up for 3 years now in my game. No marksdwarves to kill siegers either. So far it's been good, I've managed to get through ambushes through luck.

Meaning I only lost dwarves to the elves. Damn them and their arrows. The ONE time I open the gate and send woodcutters to do their job, they have two ambush parties led by elite bowmen.

But hey, I just got a legendary armorsmith. Time to make some iron armor, and justice.

Vorago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2009, 11:07:09 am »

And oddly enough my dwarves who chewed through two waves of early lizardmen sieges got beaten up pretty soundly by frogmen  =(

OK, my best axedwarf got thrown uninjured off the drawbridge the major fight took place and I had to dig him out through my farming area to get him back in the fight, think the problem stemmed from the frogmen being FAR more tight knit and just flat out swarming my remaining military, where the lizardmen were a bit more spread out.

One frogman made it into the dining hall and punched the eyes out of a dog before I drafted all the diners into a dwarf beat down squad

I lost my cats due to freak accidents early on and vermin EVERYWHERE now, frequent sieges have been cutting off trade caravans though... need a catsplosion omg  =(

Really loving it so far, honestly other mods adding 600 more stone types always bugged the crap out of me, really digging everything so far

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2009, 12:25:32 pm »

Meaning I only lost dwarves to the elves. Damn them and their arrows. The ONE time I open the gate and send woodcutters to do their job, they have two ambush parties led by elite bowmen.
Ha, yeah, that's the thing about elves--they're always led by elite bowmen now.

OK, my best axedwarf got thrown uninjured off the drawbridge the major fight took place and I had to dig him out through my farming area to get him back in the fight, think the problem stemmed from the frogmen being FAR more tight knit and just flat out swarming my remaining military, where the lizardmen were a bit more spread out.
Yeah, I've noticed the frogs stick together pretty well too.  I think it's because they're all so lightly equipped, means that no no one is ever even a little encumbered.

Been doing a second playthough, so far the only truly nasty attack was a kobold ambush that snuck though my traps; had forgotten that they're trapavoid.  My site is on a cold patch of tundra, which has been helping--it's cold enough to give some light damage to enemies like lizardmen at the beginning and ends of the seasons.  As far as I'm concerned, this is fine--extreme cold should be a viable defense against lizardpeople.  I'm less happy with how the treants reacted, though--an instant, explosive kill (temp damage leaves a mess when applied to creatures with severs on breaks!).  I solved the same problem with the frogs earlier by making them warmblooded and giving them a little layering, but with the trees I think I'm gonna try a low COLDDAM_POINT.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2009, 12:39:45 pm »

I finally opened my gates, to test my trapbridges that flip enemies down 12 z-levels. During a werewolf siege.

I found out they're trapavoid. I lost so many champions, that it was ridiculous.
And then the tantrums began. It wasn't pretty.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2009, 01:15:14 pm »

I actually think it's more hazardous to have some enemies with trapavoid and others without than it would be to have them all be trapavoid, for exactly that reason.

Also, FYI, the biggest enemies are large enough to prevent bridges from working.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2009, 01:42:53 pm »

Yes, I figured that, but I noticed the trapavoid of werewolves when they ran over the mace-weapon traps.

"whoops".

Killed 2 legendaries on the way too, along the champs.

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2009, 11:36:37 pm »

the werewolves might be excessively deadly...  speed 400, large size, great damage on their attack.. xD

ive been refraining from saying that 'cuz most of my experience with them was when I accidentaly generated the world with ebil horses that they used as mounts. 40 werewolves riding evil horses is a cool mental image, but I think it made them much more resistant to bolts on top of their incredible deadliness in melee. 

on the other hand, they tend not to survive worldgen. *shrug*

I wish there was a midway between trapavoid and not... like.. trap-wary, get temporary trapavoid when someone near you gets hit by a trap but lose some Speed.  that would also make excessively complicated uber-traps more effective xD

PS sorry I don't have that world or its seeds anymore. 

Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2009, 01:50:31 am »

the werewolves might be excessively deadly...  speed 400, large size, great damage on their attack.. xD

ive been refraining from saying that 'cuz most of my experience with them was when I accidentaly generated the world with ebil horses that they used as mounts. 40 werewolves riding evil horses is a cool mental image, but I think it made them much more resistant to bolts on top of their incredible deadliness in melee. 

on the other hand, they tend not to survive worldgen. *shrug*

I wish there was a midway between trapavoid and not... like.. trap-wary, get temporary trapavoid when someone near you gets hit by a trap but lose some Speed.  that would also make excessively complicated uber-traps more effective xD

PS sorry I don't have that world or its seeds anymore. 
Yeah, if they had mounts that would make a big difference.  Without them they go down to bolts pretty quickly, and since they never have ranged units to fire back its a pretty reliable method of taking care of them.  I've killed a small seige of them with melee units too, but you need to be well equipped with multiple legendaries (and lucky, even the one time I pulled that off I had injures).

But the werewolves are supposed to be dangerous, they're fourth-to-last out of ten.  Definitely easier to kill than the stuff that comes after them...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 01:53:34 am by nil »

Vorago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2009, 10:17:23 pm »

Yeah, I really like elves.  Ambush parties that inspire fear and wall upon walls of arrows.  Had an elf ambush uncovered ON my drawbridge, set ny military on duty... and my omni elite marksdwarf who was chilling in the statue garden nearby basking in his awesomeness of killing an entire lizardman siege solo with wooden bolts...

Oh yes, he IMMEDIATELY takes a single elf arrow in the face, severing his throat, both eyes and mangling his BRAIN.

He was still ? from the change between standing down and off duty when he died, didn't get to fire even a single bolt  =(

Lost two axedwarves and a poor peasant who the elves beat to an inch of his life before fleeing my lands on top of my markslord but butchered the elves and hacked the unicorn their lord was riding so badly I found pieces 2 Z levels up on a wall.

SO far really loving the mod you need to have decent defensesm trap and military without it being entirely unforgivable with a single unit entering your fort becoming a complete massacre, things are tough with SOME room for hilarious mishaps.

Dwarf caravens seem to have stopped coming though, thankfully gnomes pack lots... but want a freaking Liason so I can demand CATS,,, vermin everywhere and the gnomes are failing me.  Not sure if the lack of caravans is due to me picking the 'other' dwarf civ as my home one at enbark since the primary was at war with everything,

At this point I am loving this mod so much atm that even if you never updated this again I would still play it  =D

Hope my stories aren't incrediably boring, I am still pretty noob at this,

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2009, 01:30:16 am »

Yeah, I really like elves.  Ambush parties that inspire fear and wall upon walls of arrows.  Had an elf ambush uncovered ON my drawbridge, set ny military on duty... and my omni elite marksdwarf who was chilling in the statue garden nearby basking in his awesomeness of killing an entire lizardman siege solo with wooden bolts...

Oh yes, he IMMEDIATELY takes a single elf arrow in the face, severing his throat, both eyes and mangling his BRAIN.

He was still ? from the change between standing down and off duty when he died, didn't get to fire even a single bolt  =(

Lost two axedwarves and a poor peasant who the elves beat to an inch of his life before fleeing my lands on top of my markslord but butchered the elves and hacked the unicorn their lord was riding so badly I found pieces 2 Z levels up on a wall.

SO far really loving the mod you need to have decent defensesm trap and military without it being entirely unforgivable with a single unit entering your fort becoming a complete massacre, things are tough with SOME room for hilarious mishaps.

Dwarf caravens seem to have stopped coming though, thankfully gnomes pack lots... but want a freaking Liason so I can demand CATS,,, vermin everywhere and the gnomes are failing me.  Not sure if the lack of caravans is due to me picking the 'other' dwarf civ as my home one at enbark since the primary was at war with everything,
You could always have the dwarves take care of the vermin themselves. Some small animal traps, a dedicated legendary or two and a kennel with 'catch live animal' on repeat can take care of a lot of vermin, and have something to show for it.

The dwarven caravans probably aren't coming because of badly timed seiges... I bet they'll show up eventually (hopefully!).  The gnomes should have a liason too, although he can die easily.  Gnomes without armor get stomped.
Hope my stories aren't incrediably boring, I am still pretty noob at this,
I definitely appreciate the feedback!

Got the treants working in the cold, which is great because they're my favorite seiger.  Long, drawn out brawls in which piercing weapons are nearly useless that usually end with three broken arms and a huge pile of wood. 

Also got a wizard for the first time.  I savescumed a few times to test him out, sadly, he went down pretty easily to most anything unless I totally ignored him (then he rampaged).  I'd boost them, but they're already the most powerful megabeast.  Might do some across-the-board changes.

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2009, 01:44:05 am »

I'm waiting for the graphics pack version of this to come out (sorry I know punch me in the face but I dislike ascii and need some sprites at least, im a nes kid).

All in all though it sounds exactly like what I'm looking for since I really dislike loads of traps and magma / water flood ways (those aren't required are they?).

My favorite thing and what I've been looking for is a mod that lets me just focus on having an army that can defend with out having to resort to cheap tactics. Doesn't bother me to have one armed dwarfs running around or 30 people stacked up in the barracks because at least I feel like I've earned my keep in blood.

Also Vorago you crack me up with your description of events, I think I'm going to use this line as my future sig I like it so much, "One frogman made it into the dining hall and punched the eyes out of a dog before I drafted all the diners into a dwarf beat down squad".

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2009, 07:30:27 am »

Because the enemies in this mod already exist in the world, you can use already-existing graphics packs. in fact you can just paste the graphics directory from another mod into this one. 

ps some embarks go better than others *sigh*

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

Barrel Roll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2009, 10:17:26 am »

Cool mod. I'll keep an eye out for this.

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2009, 10:23:38 am »

Awesome mod, my marksdwarves just raped the first assault of lizardmen.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2009, 01:17:46 pm »

Frogmen sieged me at the beginning of summer the first year.
My dwarfes (3 wrestlers and one axedwarf in chainmail and with a steel axe) killed of 5 while recieving moderate wounds and I could swear one broken arm, though it got magically healed the next moment o.O
Fortunately the rest fled, else my dwarfs would be in serious trouble.

Looks fun that far, I'm looking forward to future sieges  :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 01:22:17 pm by Mindmaker »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22