Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: [.40d] Relentless Assault (version 1.21!)  (Read 64601 times)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
[.40d] Relentless Assault (version 1.21!)
« on: October 16, 2009, 10:16:38 pm »

This is a .40d mod and will not work in the current version of DF!

Changes for version 1.21:
-Gremlins slowed down a little, bones made more valuable
-Treant weapons removed, innate damage nerfed, size and damblock boosted
-Giant size slightly boosted, equipment slightly lightened
-Spears added to frogmen
-Names created in worldgen more customized
-Significant megabeast boosting
-Minor worldgen modifications

ver 1.2: Gremlins added, treants no longer sever on breaks, lower damblock, added weak bludgeoning weapon, giants always and ogres sometimes wear plate mail, giants wear greeves, more megabeast boosting, minotaurs only use two-handed weapons, triggers based on production, again, werewolves have 0 damblock, major worldgen modifications

ver 1.1: Treants equipped but slightly gimped, giants use enormous weapons, giant and ogre thieves use enormous daggers, giants boosted, minotaurs fixed, maces gimped, scimitars/flails/morningstars boosted and enlarged, werewolves gimped (but werewolf weapons boosted), harpies removed (they never really worked anyway), triggers based on population.

ver 1.0: Added minotaurs, megabeast modifications, fixed a bug with the treants, standardized triggers, removed mounts and assorted balancing.

ver 0.91: Cleaned up a few bad entity tags; only real consequence should be more enemies sieging in the fall.

ver 0.9: initial release
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 01:48:05 pm by nil »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Relentless Assault
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 10:17:14 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: Relentless Assault
"Legends tell of a golden age, long past, when dwarves faced only the goblins.  We traded peacefully, they say, with the humans and even the elves...  sounds like bullshit to me!"

Relentless Assault adds 8 new civilizations and heavily modifies all four non-dwarven stock civilizations.  Most civilizations are now hostile siegers.  While there is some static here, owing, I think, to the RNG and what civilizations your fortress site is close to, in general you will be attacked by progressively more dangerous enemies:

-FROGMEN-
Small and armed at most with crude wooden cudgels, frogmen are usually only a threat to very young fortresses.   But while they are the weakest of the dwarves' enemies, they're also the first, able to strike within the first year.
Spoiler: FLAVOR (click to show/hide)

-KOBOLDS-
Physically, kobolds are not much more dangerous than frogmen.  However, their copper weapons, while simple, tend to be pointy and therefore much more deadly.  Like the goblins, humans, ogres, and giants, they will kidnap babies, and their armies are sometimes led by members of other species.

-LIZARDMEN-
Lizardmen use shields, light armor, and a variety of copper weapons.  They're also bigger than previous enemies, and have a powerful bite attack that makes their wrestlers nearly as dangerous as their armed soldiers.

-GOBLINS-
Mostly the same as vanilla, except with less armor, relatively more size and a minor boost to speed.

-ELVES-
Almost all elves use bows, making them a uniquely deadly enemy.  Since they aren't able to use metal, this is an obvious strategy for them--what else would they do, come after you with wooden swords? 

-HUMANS-
Far taller than any dwarf, wearing decent armor and wielding various iron weapons, the humans would be a threat even if they were mindless beasts.  Instead, they are among the most intelligent of non-dwarven races and are able to avoid simple traps.

-WEREWOLVES-
Bigger, stronger, and in particular faster than almost anything out there, werewolves specialize in running things down and tearing them to bits.  Their extraordinary agility allows them to dodge traps as well.  Fortunately, werewolves are lightly armored and lack ranged weapons, making them easy to dispatch--provided you keep your distance.  If you must fight them in melee combat, focus on the leaders as they flee more quickly than most enemies.

-OGRES-
These are like big, dumb, ugly humans.  And I do mean big--half again the size of humans, and well over twice as big as a dwarf.  Ogres' skin is highly resistant to heat; they are even able to wade through molten rock without injury.

-TREANTS-
These tree-like beasts are nearly indestructible, massive, tireless, and able to withstand even deadly injury without faltering.  Only strong and well-armed warriors should attempt to meet them in combat, although their lack of strong attacks and slow speed will at least allow your soldiers to survive melee combat for a short time.

-GIANTS-
The only thing worse than a big tree strangling you to death is an even bigger man swinging an ax at you.  Giants wear steel armor, wield enormous weapons no other creature can even pick up, and are way, way bigger than you.  They aren't stupid, either, and will easily avoid weapon and cage traps.  Hopefully by this point you've either built effective defenses... or trained dwarves hard enough to fight an army of dudes who are bigger than whales.

Relentless Assault also includes two friendly races:

-The GNOMES will send a caravan in the summer.  They use steel equipment effectively, but are very, very small; you should support them whenever possible.  Gnomish caravans do not carry animal products, but will accept them in trade. 

-Later, you may be visited by the MINOTAURS.  Their caravan will trade exotic animals, gems, and other goods in the fall but only comes to more developed fortresses. 

Wealthy fortresses will have to contend with GREMLINS .  While small, gremlins are crafty, surprisingly tough and extremely quick, making then excellent thieves.  You may also encounter WIZARDS, humans who have mastered the arcane arts to bolster their defensive abilities and bring fire to their enemies.  Their only peers are the dragons and titans of the elder days.

The dwarves are a little smaller than they used to be, and their caravan now comes in the winter, but they are otherwise unchanged.  Enemies in general are more lightly armored than in vanilla.   In some ways this makes things easier, but it also prevents you from fueling both your metal industry and your exports with dead invader gear.  I was actually surprised how far this went to returning a feeling of scarcity to the game.  Megabeasts are now a little stronger.

Relentless Assault currently consists of 8 files.  Four of these replace existing Dwarf Fortress raws in raw>objects (creature_standard, entity_default, item_weapon and item_ammo); a backup folder is included.  Of those, only entity_default contains new entries.  Another three (item_relentweapons, item_giantarmor and creature_civgnome) consist entirely of new entries.  The last, (world_gen) includes optional (but optimal) world generation settings and can either be ignored or placed in your data>init folder.  Ninety-five percent of the effort for this mod went into getting all the civilizations to survive--it's not easy to get size 17 giants and size 3 gnomes co-exist for 300 years in a world where everyone is hostile!

-----------------------------------------------------------
KNOWN ISSUES:
-On medium maps, some civilizations may die out during worldgen.  On maps smaller than that, some almost certainly will.  Large maps are recommended.
-Do not try to generate a world with more than 60 civilizations, as it will cause infinite rejections.  There is a worldgen.txt file included in 1.2 that has a prepared world generation set.
-Due to how I implemented two-handed weapons, some giant elite hammermen and all elite minotaur warriors will be labeled "Pikemasters."
-Strangeness of an unknown origin has been observed around HFS; should not be a threat to dwarves.
-----------------------------------------------------------

As of 1.2, this mod is once again pretty difficult!  However, players can delay some of the nastiest attackers by not trading large amounts of valuable goods.  Conversely, if you buy out every caravan those particular nasty attackers will come sooner than ever!

Graphics courtesy of Chariot's Alternate Civs Graphics Sets can be grabbed there or downloaded here.  Every new civ has graphics except werewolves and treants, and they're pretty homogeneous anyway.  I'm also very interested in feedback.  If things seem too hard or too easy at a certain stage of the game, please, let me know!

Deon has put together a pre-packed version of Relentless Assault with graphics, a number of additional minor mods, and some useful utilities.  It can be found here.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 02:45:39 pm by nil »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 10:20:21 pm »

For those who prefer a manual installation, or just want to see what the hell I'm talking about:

(Version 1.1)

CHANGED ENTRIES IN CREATURE_STANDARD
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

CHANGED ENTRIES IN ITEM_WEAPONS

CHANGED ENTRY IN ITEM_AMMO

CREATURE_CIVGNOME (new file, entry could also be pasted into creature_standard)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:09:08 am by nil »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 10:21:44 pm »

more:
ITEM_RELENTLESSWEAPONS (new file, entries could also be pasted into item_weapons)

ENTITY_DEFAULT (part one of the full file)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 04:28:51 am by nil »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 10:22:46 pm »

finally!

ENTITY_DEFAULT (part two of the full file)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 03:53:24 pm by nil »

ventuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 06:02:02 am »

sound like fun... human and elves were made to be hostile sieger? Either way, downloading.

look like download site down.. im confused by your copy n paste thing, for "changed" do i delete everything and paste in it? if not, what do i delete?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 06:33:13 am by ventuz »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 02:17:03 pm »

sound like fun... human and elves were made to be hostile sieger? Either way, downloading.

look like download site down.. im confused by your copy n paste thing, for "changed" do i delete everything and paste in it? if not, what do i delete?
Yep, and the elves are way more dangerous than they've ever been before...  nothing like what comes later, but still nasty.

To do it manually, go into your raws folder, then your objects folder.  There's four files you need to change: entity_default.txt, creature_standard.txt, item_ammo.txt and item_weapon.txt.  probably a good idea to make a backup copy of them or use a fresh installation of DF.

For entity_deafult.txt, replace everything with what I have labeled as ENTITY_DEFAULT (part one and part two, they're only separate because it was too big to post in one).

For item_ammo.txt, replace the existing "ITEM_AMMO_BLOWDARTS" with what I have, leave the rest.

For item_weapon.txt, replace ITEM_WEAPON_PICK, ITEM_WEAPON_SPEAR, and ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_BATTLE with what I have, leave the rest.

And then, the tricky part.  For creature_standard.txt, add in the gnome entry (I labeled it ADDED ENTRY IN CREATURE_STANDARD).  Then, hunt down and delete the entries for dwarves, frogmen, kobolds, lizardmen, goblins, lizardmen, humans, werewolves, ogres, treants, giants, harpies, and wizards. edit:  Finally, add back in the contents of "CHANGED ENTRIES IN CREATURE_STANDARD."

Gen a new world and you should be good to go

Let me know how it goes, I'll probably be f5ing over here all day.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 03:02:22 pm by nil »

Need_More_War!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 03:18:12 pm »

This looks super fun, downloaded it, going try it out soon

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 04:03:49 pm »

Does this play to the same boss fight music from Tales of Destiny?

That aside.

Some errors with entity files and so on.

FALL isn't a valid season token, AUTUMN is.
Neither is TOWN. Replace those with CITY where appropriate, default site types and tolerate levels.

Then there's some creature file errors with these.
POSSIBLY. Might stem from my own DF folder though so yeah.

Gonna test this out for the heck of it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 04:07:37 pm by Ieb »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 04:21:37 pm »

Does this play to the same boss fight music from Tales of Destiny?
Ha, I wish.
That aside.

Some errors with entity files and so on.

FALL isn't a valid season token, AUTUMN is.
Neither is TOWN. Replace those with CITY where appropriate, default site types and tolerate levels.

Then there's some creature file errors with these.
POSSIBLY. Might stem from my own DF folder though so yeah.

Gonna test this out for the heck of it.
Nice catch!  Now that you mention it I was seeing less action in the fall than I should have been.  Interesting that the town stuff didn't cause more problems; must be that when DF doesn't recognize the site tag it reverts to cities anyway.  Fixed on my end, will update the posted copies after this post.

Not sure the creature token stuff is on my end, though; searches aren't bringing up anything and I haven't tried to do anything with graphics yet.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 04:23:02 pm »

Then it's just me.
Carry on, I'm still drunk anyway.

Vorago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 12:52:35 pm »

Hmm, gonna try this out, really like the idea of it.  As much as vanilla goblins are... beyond pathetic, was never a huge fan of most mods pretty much throwing a single new unstoppable killing machine race constructed of rage and the suffering of all dwarfkind to be one drastic extreme.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 06:51:06 pm »

Hmm, gonna try this out, really like the idea of it.  As much as vanilla goblins are... beyond pathetic, was never a huge fan of most mods pretty much throwing a single new unstoppable killing machine race constructed of rage and the suffering of all dwarfkind to be one drastic extreme.
Well, you were my target audience :).  Tell me what you think, right now I'm not positive the goblins and humans are strong enough.  Maybe the ogres too...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 06:52:47 pm by nil »

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 09:55:49 am »

Awesome.  I'll give it a shot.

SPARTA!
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Nobody1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 05:52:54 pm »

Three forts lost--well, too many casualties to keep going, anyway--to a first summer assault by Lizardmen.  I'm thinking this is not the mod to insist on trying a purely trapless defensive strategy from the outset.  That said, a lot more flavorful than the orcs, and losing is fun, after all.

Has anyone else using the manual install had issues with things that spawn at the edge of the map lacking names?  The lizardman civ screen shows plenty of named creatures, but everything that shows up on the side of the map is just "the Lizardmen", and the one migration wave I survived long enough to see (not to worry, they ran straight into withdrawing Lizardmen) had a bunch of nameless dwarves (which is much more of an issue than nameless invaders).  The only other mod I've got in is Wonderment, which is all matgloss and doesn't touch the creature or entity files.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22