Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Distinguishing fresh and rotten corpses  (Read 791 times)

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Distinguishing fresh and rotten corpses
« on: October 16, 2009, 05:41:46 pm »

Short version: Is there any way to set a stockpile to receive only one or the other, or otherwise handle them differently?

Long version: Here's what's happening. My ranger goes out, kills a unicorn, and thoughtfully delivers it right to the butcher shop. Then some moron runs in, grabs it, and throws it on the refuse heap outside before the butcher can get to it. I set o-r-o so the butcher just drags it back in, but it's dreadfully inefficient. I can only think of two ways to fix this, and they both have undesirable consequences. I could move the main corpse pile to the butcher, but even with the "above ground" trick it could get very messy having rotten/unusable corpses dumped there, especially after a battle. Or I could dispense with corpse piles entirely, but then I'd have to manually order any corpses in the fort dumped, plus kills my soldiers (not hunters) make, won't be returned at all. If the title question isn't possible, can anyone suggest another solution?
Akur Akir Akam!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: Distinguishing fresh and rotten corpses
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 05:57:13 pm »

Yes, there are settings on the refuse stockpiles to distinguish between these.  You can even choose the types - eg no goblins.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 09:25:11 pm »

I already looked, and now I looked again, but I'm not finding it. Can you be more specific? In the refuse category, I see three sub-categories: "Item Types", "Corpses", and "Body Parts". Item types includes pretty much every item type in the game (and some that aren't). This includes fresh and rotten raw hides, which is similar to what I want, but obviously not similar enough. Likewise Corpses and Body Parts include pretty much every creature in the game (and some that aren't), but here I find no mention of fresh/rotten status at all.
Akur Akir Akam!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 10:23:59 pm »

Yes, there are settings on the refuse stockpiles to distinguish between these.

If so, I've never seen them.

A corpse is a corpse.

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 04:51:30 am »

its in the sub menu under item types for bones/shell/skull/freshhides.

Also you can forbid all corpses. Have to be careful body parts and corpses sub menus look exactly a like so they appear to have one missing.

Another trick, dig a diagonal path into a underground garbage dump. Miasma can't traverse diagonally.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 04:53:42 am by UndergroundTree »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 11:02:36 am »

I'd put my butcher's shop next to the refuse pile. Since everything but the meat and fat is considered refuse anyways, having the butcher's shop inside with the refuse shop outside is not only inefficient, but just asking for miasma and rotten meat.

You should almost always designate your butcher's shops outside, since most of the time your dwarves won't move the chunks out of the shop.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325