Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Mood  (Read 1009 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Strange Mood
« on: October 16, 2009, 07:57:13 pm »

One of my more useless dwarves just got taken by a mood. She then proceeded to claim a craftsdwarf shop where she then starts to collect her materials. Shes asking for "Forest" (2 wooden logs), "Square Blocks" (??), "Stacked Leather" (which I supplied her with 1 deer leather), however, now she isnt starting any construction. What is the block? I have plenty of glass blocks and marble blocks. Wooden blocks?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Mood
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 08:01:28 pm »

Press 't' and move over the workshop.  Whta items are currently there?  The dwarf will fetch the items in order.  "Square blocks" refers to stone blocks.  Since you have marble...  I don't know.  Maybe a dwarf's stone preference matters for that, but I don't know for sure.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 08:02:34 pm »

"Square blocks" refers to stone blocks, I think.

Correct - you need to make rock blocks from a Mason's workshop, preferably from a valuable material (if you have any).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 08:06:35 pm »

I already T'ed over the workshop (thats how I know she has the 2 wooden logs and the leather). I made wooden blocks, she hasnt taken those. Now Im mass producing stone blocks so that maybe she'll take one. However, she hasnt started being hungry/thirsty even though shes sat in the workshop for about, eh... 2 seasons.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 08:07:20 pm »

Nevermind! She apparently wanted my marble blocks...

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 09:32:53 pm »

Two seasons is pretty unusual unless you have some kind of mod... they usually last about 1.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 10:20:37 pm »

It took 2 seasons because for whatever reason, she wouldnt go and take the marble blocks I made. It took her a full season to realize i had them

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 10:38:24 pm »

When moody dwarves ask for blocks, they must be made of stone - blocks made of wood, metal, or glass never seem to be used.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 05:12:11 am »

When moody dwarves ask for blocks, they must be made of stone - blocks made of wood, metal, or glass never seem to be used.

I had a dwarf demand green glass blocks on a sandless map once. Armok was displeased by this though, and caused the entire workshop to fall into 5 z-levels of mysterious 3x3 channels. On the plus side my countess finally has a nice strong planter working in her room to keep her from being lonely.  ;)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 11:51:52 am »

Are you absolutely certain said dwarf didn't want raw green glass (a very common mood demand, though thought to only show up on maps with sand on them)?