Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Ouch ... you ok buddy?  (Read 28893 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ouch ... you ok buddy?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 11:06:56 am »

Dwarves that are resting are considered unconscious and won't talk.

Next version amputated limbs will eventually scar over, stopping the pain, but the only way that dwarf will get out of bed in the current version is if he gets a mood. I would give him the most dwarven end possible and free up the give food/water tasks.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 05:09:02 pm »

I don't think it's possible.

An engraver got bitten by zombies as he entered the map. He has been here for half a year in bed with a broken arm, in spite laying next to the one-armed chick (who it appears is really a guy) and being cared for - he doesn't know anyone. He doesn't even have a long-term acquaintance.

Well of course not. He was bitten by zombies. Do you think he's going to form friendships or indulge in social interactions when all he can do is moan, shamble, and groan for delicious braaaaaaains?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 07:45:25 pm »

An update.

My dwarf was put in a chamber which was filled to 4/7 water. I checked on him and pretty soon he was a dabbling swimmer ... he is now a COMPETENT swimmer but he still hasn't gained any strength, toughness or agility. He has been laying in a hospital bed unconscious and thrashing about needlessly. The only thing he's gotten is SWIMMING SKILLS!

Perhaps one should make a water and drainage system for the infirmary? Lock the patients in and flood the room., they will become competent swimmers in NO time. Drain the room and dwarves can enter to feed and water the patients before exiting again.

Build skills while being knocked out! ... sadly only swimming though.  :-[ My phantom limb-pained dwarf is all but useless. I will try throwing him into a room where he faces an undead frogman. Frogmen are pushovers, but if he cannot defeat such a simple foe ... I don't know.

Maybe I will just leave him in there... or rescue him and appoint him Sheriff.

An engraver got bitten by zombies as he entered the map. He has been here for half a year in bed with a broken arm, in spite laying next to the one-armed chick (who it appears is really a guy) and being cared for - he doesn't know anyone. He doesn't even have a long-term acquaintance.

Well of course not. He was bitten by zombies. Do you think he's going to form friendships or indulge in social interactions when all he can do is moan, shamble, and groan for delicious braaaaaaains?

Har har har har.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 01:28:15 am »

Try channeling around his bed to cause a cave-in.  Maybe the fall will knock him out of bed, stun him, and then he'll get up and go about his business as if nothing's wrong.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 03:35:09 am »

You could try assigning a meeting area right next to her /him.
I don't know if it is possible for a resting dwarf to engage in conversation, but I believe the gain of conversational skills is a passive process, that only requires proximity of another dwarf.

If it works, the dwarf will gain stats by tqalking, possibly also toughness.
Dwarven chatter is more intensive than Klingon it seems.

Yeah, alas. I suspected as much, because resting dwarves have the 'unconscious' tag in their wounds screen. Still, I'm gonna have a try with a resting dwarf and a healthy dwarf, for science.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 11:21:46 am »

Try channeling around his bed to cause a cave-in.  Maybe the fall will knock him out of bed, stun him, and then he'll get up and go about his business as if nothing's wrong.

This won't work I'm afraid. I removed his bed before I relocated him to the uh .. "water treatment chamber" .. and he fell on the floor like a dead fish and wouldn't get up. Another wounded person (since I was relocating the infirmary completely) was pulled out of his bed and grudgingly walked the distance, while the armless dwarf had to be dragged.

Oddly enough, a dwarf who was mauled by a giant cougar showed a fractured pelvis and broken leg. This was considered massive injury by the game, the one who had his ARM RIPPED OFF was considered a minor injury. He still won't wake up.
I have an art blog now.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 11:41:01 am »

EUREKA! This warrants a double post!

it is working! the wounded dwarf has is now strong AND agile! It took a pretty long while but the water treatment is working! File this discovery under dwarven medicine!
I have an art blog now.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 12:58:36 pm »

Hmm, so apparently swimming is a skill dwarves can learn while asleep (go figure). I'll file that on the wiki.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 01:07:56 pm »

One small step for a mangled dwarf, one giant leap for dwarven science.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 01:36:50 pm »

After a certain level of swimming (not sure which) my one-armed and unconscious dwarf doesn't mind being completely submerged in water.

I am not sure if he builds skills quicker in this, but he still isn't fit to get out of bed. He has gained one skill in each area, and he is now Tough, Strong and Very agile. not much ... but it's something.
I have an art blog now.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 02:14:42 pm »

One "attribute" in each area, but yeah, nice!

And no dwarf wounded as badly as this one would do much of anything else to gain experience - not even socialize. This is, seriously, a huge discovery. Grats!

Water therapy!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 02:36:03 pm »

One "attribute" in each area, but yeah, nice!

And no dwarf wounded as badly as this one would do much of anything else to gain experience - not even socialize. This is, seriously, a huge discovery. Grats!

Water therapy!

Indeed.

However the usage might be limited. He needs toughness to get out of bed, he is now strong, tough and extremely agile.
It is logical that swimming helps your agility, not your strength or toughness due to the nature of the exercise... the road to recovery might be very long indeed.
I have an art blog now.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 02:44:36 pm »

Oh god.. I've missed this game soo much...  :'(
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2009, 03:26:13 pm »

It is logical that swimming helps your agility, not your strength or toughness due to the nature of the exercise...

<shakes head in sorrow>

"Logic" and DF do not go well together.

It's random, completely and across the board.  Experience gives a random attribute at every cutpoint - doesn't matter where the experience comes from.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 03:44:31 pm »

Water treatment. Brilliant.
<stores info in brain section reserved for 'important tricks'>
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6