Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Ouch ... you ok buddy?  (Read 28888 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Ouch ... you ok buddy?
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2009, 04:00:28 pm »

It is logical that swimming helps your agility, not your strength or toughness due to the nature of the exercise...

<shakes head in sorrow>

"Logic" and DF do not go well together.

It's random, completely and across the board.  Experience gives a random attribute at every cutpoint - doesn't matter where the experience comes from.

You're quite right. He is now VERY TOUGH and a legendary swimmer. I will keep the water treatment going in spite of this, stopping only to drain the pool so that he can be fed. I wonder how tough he has to be to accept he will be unarmed for the rest of his life, and simply get back on track.

on a semi-related note. What happens to a dwarf who has lost both his arms or hands? Can he eat?

EDIT: A milestone! He is constantly washed out of bed when I drain the pool, and has to be dragged back to it. This time however, I noticed that he dragged HIMSELF back into bed!

Water treatment is working!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 04:07:09 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2009, 04:05:42 pm »

Well, I do believe dwarves that have lost their arms and legs can still bite in battle.. So who knows, they might just gnaw their way at food
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2009, 07:34:54 pm »

He'll keep accumulating experience even once he maxes in the swimmer skill.  I'd think he'd need to get up towards Superdwarvenly Tough to shrug this off to any real extent.

EDIT: A milestone! He is constantly washed out of bed when I drain the pool, and has to be dragged back to it. This time however, I noticed that he dragged HIMSELF back into bed!

Ha! He'll be walking across the room... any year now... ::)

Well, any improvement is more than we really expected!  ;)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2009, 11:31:49 pm »

He'll keep accumulating experience even once he maxes in the swimmer skill.  I'd think he'd need to get up towards Superdwarvenly Tough to shrug this off to any real extent.

Ha! He'll be walking across the room... any year now... ::)

Well, any improvement is more than we really expected!  ;)

An update on the situation.

He is now superdwarvenly tough, and as can be predicted, he doesn't like being submerged in water. He had the energy to get out of bed and walk across the courtyard and lie down in the barracks... but he only did this once it was time to feed him and the currents swept him out of bed, if he could actually swim he could have climbed out of the pit to begin with.

I told him he couldn't sleep in that bed (by forbidding it) and he walked into the courtyard. Fell over. Got up. His status said EXTREME PAIN and then he collapsed... and was dragged to the infirmary.

So there's progress, but since he is already superdwarvenly tough, what more can I do? He is in a permanent state of extreme pain. He'd need to gain many more levels to shrug this off.
It's more trouble than he's worth but he's one of the starting 7 so I really want to keep him alive.

Don't worry about me going soft elf on you guys. I have so far executed three dwarves by means of impalement ... for bringing cats into my fortress.

note: real world calls me and there is sleep and work to be had. the next update might delay indefinitely
I have an art blog now.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 11:53:41 am »

If all else fails, he's the new fortress guard, dwarves consider it an honour to become a royal/fortress guard.

Besides, you might just want to keep trying, it might be like with legendary +x levels of skill, improving but just not showing it. I doubt that though.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 03:10:21 pm »

There is no limit to the number of stat gains you can get (anything above 4 shows as Superdwarvenly Tough, but the numbers keep on going up).

It may not matter -- it may be it'll simply be in extreme pain for the rest of its life -- but its worth a shot.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2009, 02:57:34 pm »

There is no limit to the number of stat gains you can get (anything above 4 shows as Superdwarvenly Tough, but the numbers keep on going up).

It may not matter -- it may be it'll simply be in extreme pain for the rest of its life -- but its worth a shot.

Someone else will have to carry the torch on this. :( A titan decided to pay me a visit ... and I was busy minimizing casualties so I forgot to turn the water off so he couldn't be fed ... reverting a save is not an option, as I hadn't saved for hours.
I have an art blog now.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2009, 03:25:35 pm »

"Too much water therapy" - usually only reserved for elven caravans.  Ver' sad.  :(

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2009, 04:29:15 pm »

Damn!!!!  I thought water therapy was my idea....although my idea of "therapy" involves dwarves being smashed between a 7/7 wall of water and a granite door with bonecrushing force.

It goes without saying that this therapy is for hopice patients only  ;D

EDIT:  Ha! I remember mentioning my "treatment" in another thread quite a while before this one..... so ha! I was first!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 04:33:09 pm by Dvergar »

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2009, 06:12:11 pm »

Hmm. IF you waited for the cripple to go into a strange mood, then built the appropriate building very close by and shut off Health Care for all the other dwarves so that he can carry it out without being dragged back to bed, you may be able to get him to complete an artifact. If he does so, he'll probably go Legendary and thus get the toughness, hopefully, to ignore the pain.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2009, 07:14:39 pm »

There is no "might" about it. Moody dwarfs ignore injury penalties.

(Good guess, but you were relying on that "logic" thing - always a mistake.)  ;)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2009, 11:24:52 pm »

I just thought of something.

If one of the nurses had the ability to swim, and if dwarves can feed someone submerged in water while swimming - this tragedy could have been avoided.

This must be done for science! ... alas someone else has to carry the torch for this as well, seeing as I will be preoccupied in the real world for 2-3 weeks now. Big art thing to focus on.
I have an art blog now.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2009, 06:34:29 am »

Sadly, no. Dwarfs, regardless of swimming ability, will refuse to path through more than 4/7 water unless you've dropped them into it.

Thought: You could use the uber mist generator to constantly drop a 7/7 tile of water on the bed, so that only the patient gets doused with water. He also gets happy thoughts from mist.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2009, 02:17:22 pm »

This must be done for science! ... alas someone else has to carry the torch for this as well, seeing as I will be preoccupied in the real world for 2-3 weeks now. Big art thing to focus on.

Ewwww....Art major, you are a brave man my friend, I am the most artistically challenged person you will ever meet.

Moody dwarfs ignore injury penalties.

We need phycoacive drugs in this game now!!!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2009, 02:38:29 am »

I have a habitual recovery addict - just won't heal - so I thought I'd try this out.  But I can't duplicate it.

Every time I add water to a bed(room) where he's Resting, he wakes up and leaves.  If I lock him in, he still wakes up and cowers in a corner. 

Could it be the odd 5/7 splash of water, before it all settles to 3-4/7, that is triggering this?  An "OH ARMOK I'M DROWNING!" reaction? 

(The room is a dozen tiles large, so it settle pretty fast.)

If I add 3-4/7 water first, then everyone, both wounded and healthy, ignore the beds entirely, even if they're the only ones available.

If that's the suspect, what's the best way to get 4/7 without surging? Bucket brigade the only option? Really large rooms?  :P

Edit - I designed the water-therapy room w/ a linked door (for drainage) and an open staircase up, over and down again - but no one gives him water. Bleh!  There is a flaw in my magic!  :P
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 04:42:08 am by Albedo »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6