Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Ouch ... you ok buddy?  (Read 28966 times)

GoldenH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ouch ... you ok buddy?
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2009, 07:59:29 am »

There is no "might" about it. Moody dwarfs ignore injury penalties.

Not really, i've had many moody dwarfs fail because they're constantly collapsing in extreme pain.

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2009, 12:31:48 pm »

Albedo... Perhaps it only worked on the OPs legless guy because... he had one leg. He was too injured to cower in a corner, so he just let the water carry on?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2009, 01:37:35 pm »

That's a possibility - this guy has a busted arm - as a hobby, apparently.  :P

But why won't they bring him water? He gets dehydrated too. (In a room of water - yeah...)

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2009, 01:55:41 pm »

It was posted that he had to drain the room each time he got thirsty or hungry, even if the carers can swim they refuse to go into "dangerous" terrain.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2009, 02:09:20 pm »

Oh? Missed that - damn.  Need a more complex set-up then, both for draining and precision re-filling - thnx!

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2009, 06:34:34 pm »

I made a bedroom equipped with spikes under floor hatches. The Baroness and Tax Collector didn't get impaled on the spikes and are unfortunatly safe in the barracks.

The consort got skewered though so I'm happy. I'm working on a solution involving the chasm.

SolkaTruesilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2009, 09:26:52 pm »

So, does the aquatherapy really increases the odds of healing of dwarves?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2009, 10:28:20 pm »

If all else fails, and you really want to save that legendary dwarf, I suggest the new underground treatment. Its called amputation. There are very few dwarven doctors that can pull it off, but if successful, you can save that dwarf.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2009, 03:29:27 am »

So, does the aquatherapy really increases the odds of healing of dwarves?

Not directly, no.

What it does do is get them a lot of experience (in Swimming), and all experience feeds directly into Attributes.  Each attribute bump is a 1/3 chance for better Toughness - and that increases the odds of healing.

So it's actually only good if 1) you have an injured dwarf who you really want to heal, b) you don't want to see them wasting time and want to at least get them some stats while they're lazing on the chaise, or iii) you have a perverse attraction to pointless byzantine constructions.

SolkaTruesilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2009, 10:25:17 am »

Hum...

If I remember right, the dwarves only go for healthcare in beds that aren't attributed, right? How about not installing a single bed before the dwarf it will be attributed to gets there. The only non-attributed beds will be your 10-beds meant for healthcare purpose, all connected to a reservoir that will flood the room with water 4/7 on cue.

That's gonna be your hospital. Meant to boost your injured dwarves's toughness...

If you remove the XP cap (note: how can I achieve that?), you potentially can increase the toughness of your dwarves to ridiculous levels, eventually auto-healing them.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2009, 11:09:54 am »

skill cap at Legendary +5 but you keep geting experience so a dwarf can keep gaining attributes by using a skill that has long since maxed out.

as Attribute are 0-99 but only first levels show up (Superdwarvenly Tough  is like level 9)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

SolkaTruesilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2009, 11:26:43 am »

Yup. So, if you just keep his hospital bed flooded 75% of the time, he will have his stats grown to superdwarvenly high amounts, and that will increases his chance of healing?

Ergo, I end up with a uber-dwarf out of the process, and I heal him quicker?

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2009, 12:04:27 pm »

It might increase his chance of healing. Some injuries don't heal, some dwarves end up with really high strength and no toughness whatsoever (guess what caused my last last sparring death). It should work pretty well sometimes, though.

SolkaTruesilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2009, 01:24:42 pm »

Indeed. It's gonna be part of my fortress next time I go around to it...

Question: does pumping water can make it go up in the z-scales, or pumping is like rivers ; I need to pump each z-level individually?

What happens if I keep pumping water in areas that is enclosed but filled with water? Does it create pressure?

Can a X stairway be flooded in 7/7 water? does 4 squares of Stairways emptied into 7 squares will have 4/7 water level?

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2009, 01:37:15 pm »

It will only go to the level you have a pump on. It wont become pressurised if you pump into a full room. Stairs I'm not sure about- I've actually had pressurised water refuse to go up stairways, so I don't know what the hell's going on with them.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6