Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF on Win8.1 Tablet  (Read 1464 times)

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF on Win8.1 Tablet
« on: June 03, 2014, 02:24:38 pm »

I got my Windows tablet a while back.  Naturally the first thing I did was install DF. :D

DF actually works really, really well.  I got a reasonably high-end tablet with an i5 processor, and started with a pocket world.  So far it runs reasonably.  I'm not doing anything demanding - no pump systems, etc.  I set DF to take half the screen and the keyboard to take the other half. I use the desktop keyboard layout, not the tablet ones.  The desktop/standard keyboard needs to be enabled in Settings before it's available, which took me <5 seconds. 

I use the LNP with a tileset. I unzipped that on my PC and copied over to the tablet.  I used the LNP program to change settings on the tablet.  DwarfTherapist is a bit fiddly but works.  Haven't tried any visualizers.  DFHack works fine, with the usual typing-on-screen-means-typos caveat.  DF works great 90% of the time.  Better than some supposedly touch-driven modern games.

Not So Great 10%:
* Changing z-levels is incredibly awkward. I'm experimenting with new keybindings
* Running through the list of available materials and job types is even more tedious than usual
* Getting back to the fort after migrants appear is more a chore than usual.  Tiny screen = navigation generally a bit harder, but it really bites when I get yanked across the map.  Hotkeys are more helpful than on PCs
* DwarfTherapist really is more fiddly to use.  The tiny squares are hard to hit with fingers.  Still better than vanilla, though! 

I have a tablet capable of running a program wherein people have built themselves computers.  I HAVE SEEN THE MATRIX AND IT FITS ON MY LAP. :D :D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 02:28:51 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: DF on Win8.1 Tablet
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 02:36:03 pm »

* Changing z-levels is incredibly awkward. I'm experimenting with new keybindings
I activated one of the keymappings that came with LNP that added , and . for Z-level changes.  You can add those yourself in settings without changing anything else.

One problem I had was that . is also the one-step key when paused.  I changed mine to shift-space, but that's probably not workable on a tablet.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Volpe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 12:42:11 am »

What kind of Tablet do you have?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 08:32:39 am »

yeah, what do you have and how big is it?
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 02:56:29 pm »

What kind of Tablet do you have?
yeah, what do you have and how big is it?

I have a Dell Venue Pro 11.  i5 processor, 11 in screen.  8 in would probably be too small.  The standard keyboard layout is really necessary.  I don't think an 8 in. screen would be big enough.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.