Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Multi-level view demo  (Read 15729 times)

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-level view demo
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 01:12:47 pm »

Make it so, Number One!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 04:53:50 pm »

I kinda hope someone will post screen shots, because where I am Youtube is blocked. Along with Imageshack.

Have you tried youtube proxies?
Or "download youtube videos as AVI" sites?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 05:13:11 pm »

It looks beautiful.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 02:58:54 am »

Could it fade into blue instead of black?  I like the daytime-feel of the outside with blue denoting height.
Adon * Amil * Orethan

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 05:22:13 am »

I kinda hope someone will post screen shots, because where I am Youtube is blocked. Along with Imageshack.

The proxy sites I know of are blocked where I am. I can access download youtube sites, but can't download from them. In case you're wondering, the party doing the blocking is the government.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 06:06:18 am »

The proxy sites I know of are blocked where I am. I can access download youtube sites, but can't download from them. In case you're wondering, the party doing the blocking is the government.

Sweet liberty, eh? Where do you want me to upload the *. flv file for you?

EDIT: Wrong punctuation
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 09:42:58 am »

This is gorgeous. Simply gorgeous. And when compared to other methods to better simulate a 3D world...this has got to be the easiest to implement. I do hope Toady takes this into very serious consideration

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 05:21:06 pm »

This is gorgeous. Simply gorgeous. And when compared to other methods to better simulate a 3D world...this has got to be the easiest to implement. I do hope Toady takes this into very serious consideration

Agreed, this is a great way to make the UI *much* more intuitive + cool without reworking everything into iso/3D.  And it keeps the asci which I wouldn't want to lose.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

nodule

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 05:16:16 pm »

Could it fade into blue instead of black?  I like the daytime-feel of the outside with blue denoting height.

It's certainly possible.  It isn't trivial with the technique I'm using (tinting a texture with more and more black), since the black texture cannot be made lighter with this technique. 

I'm not sure there is tons to be gained in an underground fortress with this visualization.  You'll be able to see down shafts, though, which would be cool.

(also, updated OP with screenshot)

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 05:38:02 pm »

I know when I played around with blurring it became really hardware intensive and killed my game's speed. I guess that depends on how it is implemented. I've also wondered why there isn't a zoom function yet, since that's the first thing I was able to add when I switched to openGL.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 06:12:42 pm »

I've also wondered why there isn't a zoom function yet, since that's the first thing I was able to add when I switched to openGL.

There is in 40d16.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

nodule

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 08:14:39 pm »

I know when I played around with blurring it became really hardware intensive and killed my game's speed. I guess that depends on how it is implemented. I've also wondered why there isn't a zoom function yet, since that's the first thing I was able to add when I switched to openGL.

Yeah, real-time blurring needs to be done cleverly to be performant (e.g., do two linear blurs sequentially instead of a box blur).  Of course, something like DF could just blur the individual tiles...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 08:24:02 pm »

Yeah, real-time blurring needs to be done cleverly to be performant (e.g., do two linear blurs sequentially instead of a box blur).  Of course, something like DF could just blur the individual tiles...

Yeah, pre-blurring and caching all the titles would be the way to do it, I think.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 07:54:40 pm »

I think this would be really cool if it was somehow integrated into DFMA.
I'm pretty sure it's been doing that for quite some time already, actually. You just need to look at a particular layer to load it, so it won't if you just look at one Z-level.

And tinting is waay easier, since you should just be able to do some clever colormask/scaling like the tile drawing routines already do.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 09:19:22 pm »

This is doable, but it'd require a rewrite of the color-related code, to allow a third ultradark color specifically for the sub-level.

Also, the existing method for showing the lower level should be used for the third sub-level, instead of getting progressively darker. Not sure what you do below that.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5