Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Multi-level view demo  (Read 15710 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-level view demo
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2009, 02:35:43 pm »

Now that I can actually see it, I can comment that it looks beautiful.

Also, thanks, but I guess I won't need the flv file anymore :D
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2009, 02:41:18 pm »

I love it, but at the same time I ask myself if that woundn't cause the game to slow to a crawl.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2009, 06:16:47 pm »

...I ask myself if that woundn't cause the game to slow to a crawl.

I don't think it would have that big an impact on frame rate really. You have to print all the way out to the edge of the grid anyway.. the only change would be where you look up what tile to print. Seems like an insignificant change to me.

Shading each z-layer has the potential to hog resources, depending on how it's implemented. Even that could be adjusted for effectiveness versus resource requirement to get good results, though.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2009, 06:23:25 pm »

Why do you have to print out to the edge? My experience is that it is pretty simple to tell the program to ignore drawing everything outside of viewing dimensions.

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 07:00:51 pm »

Why do you have to print out to the edge? My experience is that it is pretty simple to tell the program to ignore drawing everything outside of viewing dimensions.

Yes, calculating how to display something that can't be seen on the screen is a complete waste of time and easily avoided.

I was talking about the GRID like in the raws...   the viewable portion of the map while playing.

GoldenH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2009, 06:58:12 am »

I like it except for when you go up, the animation effect makes me sick.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2009, 07:36:40 am »

Adding my two dwarfbucks of generic praise for this concept. I think the presentation is quite flash. I'd love to see this in game when the time comes to bling the interface.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2009, 12:05:41 pm »

Me want!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2009, 01:00:41 pm »

I don't like it, for some reason. It just doesn't seem right somehow.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2009, 07:31:15 am »

This looks spectacular, and I can't imagine in being difficult or slow to just scale the brightness of the certain tiles before they're rendered.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2010, 04:14:46 pm »

Bumping because it wasn't mentioned that this idea has an entry on Eternal Suggestion Voting, "Depth by darkening / misting / blurring."  Anyone who likes this should go vote!  There was also a Suggestions thread about similar ideas.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2010, 04:29:55 pm »

...I ask myself if that woundn't cause the game to slow to a crawl.

I don't think it would have that big an impact on frame rate really. You have to print all the way out to the edge of the grid anyway.. the only change would be where you look up what tile to print. Seems like an insignificant change to me.
No. You need to check all of current Z, mask out non EMPTY_SPACE (and leave in open bridges and such), and then check those tiles for the next, mask out again...

You're going to need to check many more tiles, definitely. And let me tell you, the game does not like looking up/drawing huge numbers of tiles (presently tested to...57600 on 40d16, since that embark is 5x5, need a 6x6 to hit the real maximum of 2502=62500) Gets me a FR of single-digits -when paused-, compared to 180ish normally on 80x25 or 105x65 fullscreen... (2000, 6825) which at least

Then again, I haven't tried it on a map which doesn't have tens of thousands of objects recently. But each Z-level you look down past is another multiplier on the lookup on average.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2010, 05:27:35 pm »

Will this work with custom tilesets, like Mayday's?  Sorry if someone already asked this. 
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2010, 05:43:29 pm »

The depth thing is cool, but I'd like this sort of thing better if it went up or down a whole z-level at a time like in the current game instead of the annoying blurring transition.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2010, 05:48:39 pm »

...I only looked at the screenshot. Transitions optional if put in...and, no reason it would not, Rainseeker.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5