Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ☼Orb Spider Silk Cloth☼  (Read 5306 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Orb Spider Silk Cloth☼
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 08:41:07 pm »

AH HA HA HA, LOOK AT THE LEETLE BEBIES, A-SCARED OF DA SPIDAR.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 09:20:56 pm »

AH HA HA HA, LOOK AT THE LEETLE BEBIES, A-SCARED OF DA SPIDAR.

(Unless, of course, you can identify the spider as one of the many species down here that can and will kill you with a single bite. At which point it is perfectly reasonable to be, at the very least, mildly concerned about the spider.)

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 09:44:52 am »

there are so few types of spiders that are dangerous to humans that, if you are worried, you should easily be able to learn what those spiders look like. however i dont think the earlier posts were a fear based on the possible danger of spiders, but a simple bigotry against all things that skitter.

back to the silk topic, I made an amazingly strong string out of a tent worm nest just for fun by twisting it. now if someone had divided the threads and woven them, it would be amazingly durable. The brittleness of the spider-silk can be off set by braiding many strands together. You will still have amazingly thin threads and the durability will go through the roof.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 04:44:50 pm »

Pfft.  I live in south carolina.  We got black widows and brown recluses here. You can pretty much say it's more of a paranoid fear of things that look remotely like the deadly ones.

Although, fire spiders from the Goblin Quest books sound cute.  But they aren't real.

I hear one of the main problems with producing spider silk is that spiders tend to eat each other in groups.  I was thinking a way around that would be to use those communal spiders that work together to build nest-webs that can catch birds.  Large birds.  I forget what that kind of spider is called.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 05:07:05 pm »

Don't we have some aussies on the forum? I think they're allowed to be afraid of spiders (and snakes, and plants, and mammal, and, well, just about everything down there).
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 05:23:10 pm »

Don't we have some aussies on the forum? I think they're allowed to be afraid of spiders (and snakes, and plants, and mammal, and, well, just about everything down there).

Australia is a different story altogether.
This is northern North America.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 06:36:05 pm »

You can't spend your time being afraid of all the Australian wildlife; if it smells fear it will come for you, even inside the house if it has to. If yeh want to get out of Australia alive you just have to beat the living shit out of the smaller Wildlifes so you can get the grudging respect of the rest.

Sure, Australian wildlife is terrifying, but it ain't got nothing on Humans.
Pages: 1 [2]