Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Fluid Logic Practical Applications?

(1/6) > >>

jjdorf:
Reading through the Wiki, I find myself wondering... are there any really practical applications of fluid logic within a fortress?  Also, how reliable is it?  Any problems with water flipping between 3 and 4?

Jude:
I have no idea if this is feasible, and I'm gonna guess "probably not" but it would be super sick if you could make a "living" intelligent fortress that reacted to enemies in a pseudo-intelligent way by herding them toward certain traps, springing the traps, resetting itself, etc. somehow based on fluid logic.

Stargrasper:

--- Quote from: Jude on October 18, 2009, 08:52:56 pm ---I have no idea if this is feasible, and I'm gonna guess "probably not" but it would be super sick if you could make a "living" intelligent fortress that reacted to enemies in a pseudo-intelligent way by herding them toward certain traps, springing the traps, resetting itself, etc. somehow based on fluid logic.

--- End quote ---

Some people do exactly that.  Pressure plates are your very dear friend when designing autonomous systems.  DF actually allows surprisingly sophisticated systems to be designed.  The utility of such systems in debatable, but this thread is all about that debate.

calrogman:

--- Quote from: Jude on October 18, 2009, 08:52:56 pm ---I have no idea if this is feasible, and I'm gonna guess "probably not"
--- End quote ---

Guess again, this is Dwarf Fortress.  Anything can, and will, happen.

Magua:
Define "practical".

You can make, for instance, automatic drowning chambers.  They're neat.  Enemy steps on pressure plate, large chamber seals off, floods itself, waits some amount of time, then drains itself and opens up again.

Ludicrously less practical than an entire tunnel of cage traps.  Eminently more fun.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version