Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Trading  (Read 1850 times)

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World Trading
« on: December 03, 2007, 12:16:00 am »

I see a lot of fortress-trading around. What about world trading? It takes a long time to develop an entire world's worth of fortresses. And some of us don't have the patience or the time to build really awesome forts. What I propose is this:

1) Guy builds a fortress in world A.
2) Guy uploads the world to download.
3) Another guy downloads, builds a fort, then uploads the game.
4) Repeat #3 as needed.
5) Community members downloads world and explores an intricate, well-developed world as adventurers.
6) Earth wins!

What do you think?

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Trading
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 12:26:00 am »

I would love to have something like this. Especially the ability to reclaim other people's old forts and screw around with them, and such.
A "syncing" utility of some sort would be useful, too, though it would have to be quite well integrated with the game to allow for multiple people playing at the same time.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 12:42:00 am »

no, simply rather than a succession game, a succession world.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 01:06:00 am »

I like it. It would be nice to both show off and explore some really great fortresses.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 01:12:00 am »

It's a good idea, but the only way to get alot of changes done at once to the world would be to make it semi-multiplayer...

- Server generates map
1. Server distributes map to users.
2. Users alter map on a personal basis.
3. Users upload their personal map once finished -- IE: one fortress game lasting 5 years
4. Cut-off date comes, received maps are compiled into a new whole map -- Maps submitted past cut-off date are not accepted for compilation.
5. Goto 1.

#4 is the problem area. All fortresses must be placed and appended to the same map according to their positions on that map. Obviously only the first fortress submitted for a local area would be appended to the compiled map to prevent fortresses from overwriting one another. I dont even want to think what the program to do that would look like, let alone keeping it up to date for every dwarf fortress version.   :eek:

[ December 03, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 02:18:00 am »

Actually I would not mind something like this, although would be more fun (as in being evil bastards  :(.
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 06:08:00 pm »

I'd personally like to see a simple "multiplayer" mode implemented by Toady, at some point. Nothing more than what can already be done in the basic game on one save, but instead with everyone connecting to a server and downloading a map before playing, and either playing as an adventurer, being able to visit other peoples' fortresses and see other peoples' retired adventurers, or in Fortress mode, allowing you to choose a spot and make a fortress, just like the normal game, but other people could explore or even reclaim it when you're done with it.
There's have to be some method by which adventurers could visit "in-progress" forts, which probably wouldn't be that difficult to implement, except that then you could go and kill someone's precious dwarves and generally screw everything up for someone. Then again, this is dwarf fortress, and losing is fun... Maybe just buff the dwarves in in-progress fortresses crazily such that no adventurer could hope to kill anyone and get out alive.
Well, now I'm just rambling. I don't actually expect to see any of this, but maybe in the distant future...

Fenrir

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 06:15:00 pm »

Dwarf Fortress goes MMO... Losing is still fun, but making others lose is more fun, but making others lose while they try to make you lose is yet more fun.
Unfortunatly, I don't think that would ever be possible. That's an awful lot of data to be sending over the internet.

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 09:54:00 pm »

I think everyone is overcomplicating things. Multiplayer, in my opinion, is not going to happen for a while, and I'm not talking about that. All I want, which is achievable right now, is for people to start trading worlds, each person builds a fortress on a world so that it will be a very detailed world to explore.

Imagine, if you will, a world with fifteen custom-built forts each by a different person around the world in fifteen radically different ways. Wouldn't that be awesome?

I would start by uploading my world, but I don't have a suitable fortress right now, nor really a place to upload it.