Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Your most epic moment of win!  (Read 61480 times)

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your most epic moment of win!
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2009, 12:59:45 am »

must be a titan then was my first fight and then i fought like 9 more even a the dread gian cave spider ( i was never alone tho )

Maybe a cyclops?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2009, 12:15:01 pm »

Started with a female human adventurer with proficient shield and lashing. A quick run to my old fortress to collect a masterwork steel shield and a steel scourge then went out. I ran into a goblin in there, so I lashed it by the head, took him down, then whipped him to death.

The first encounter I run into? A skeletal cougar, I figure I'm literally boned since I'm using a scourge, so I tried to run. My adventurer had other ideas though...

On the first attack, she blocks it, and counters by grabbing it by the head with the whip. I then took it down and proceeded to punch it to death.

It might not be epic in itself, but imagine the battle in your head.

Do adventurers "remember" the last tactic you use? If so, I'm going to keep this.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 12:17:23 pm by Blaze »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2009, 01:43:26 pm »

Warning: Wall o' text.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2009, 02:20:24 pm »

Dakk - if you start with wrestling skill higher than weapon skill, you don't get a weapon.  Since wrestling trains so quickly, I usually leave it at least one beneath my weapon/armor/shield skills.  Also, gouging eyes causes heavy bleeding at first, but it tends to stop quickly.  I don't think I've killed even the weakest targets by gouging their eyes, though it can disable anyone more than a tile away pretty badly.

Most of my deaths (apart from the terribly stupid ones) come from my own hubris - I blind, break, maim, and sever, but rarely kill.  Occasionally someone will survive this with enough strength to come back and hold my exhausted adventurer in his LoS, giving every archer in a mile opportunity to start puncturing me while I feebly toss shields and severed heads at my barely-conscious assailant.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2009, 09:53:55 pm »

Recently spectacularly failed at attempting to take down an Elven Forest retreat, but I had an awesome moment. So, the first elven child (This is year 4) I attack, I run through immediately. This is the story with the several more who attack me, usually being a quick leg stab, they fall over, followed by a finishing blow-stab. Finally, a bow guard runs up. He shot two arrows at me,which I blocked, and one which cut my knee(Doing nothing). I dodged behind a tree, and played hide and seek with him for a bit, until he got within range, at which point, I started stabbing (Spear human). First stab breaks his hand, so he drops the masterwork bow and starts trying to punch me out. I stabbed around a bit, until I finally ran him through his torso, piercing his right lung and his heart. At this point, I'm thinking that the bow guard is finished, but no. He keeps fighting me, until I ran him through a second time, stabbing him through his heart and right lung again, and getting his liver and his other lung. He finally gave into pain and collapsed, and I stabbed him some more before leaving him to die of his mortal wound.

And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2009, 07:03:35 am »

I just noticed today that my adventurer has killed over 200 enemies with an arrow sticking out of his left eye-socket. 

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2009, 10:19:33 am »

This night, I go to a ruin to kill a zombie axelord to complete a quest. I think "well, it's a zombie, so it's slow" so I start to kill hordes of skeletons instead. I lose my hammer by throwing it at a skeleton who tries to kill my companion, because I miss it and the hammer flies in a pond. Then the next thing I see is "Zombie Axe lord hacks you in the head." I've lost an eye and the axe is stuck! I move away and the axe is left in my head. I pull it out and kill the axe lord with 1 hit, decapitating him (although I have no skills in axes). I was heavy bleeding but I've managed to make it to the edge of the map so I was able to exit to the world map and I stayed alive :D.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 10:21:10 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2009, 07:42:32 am »

Yay for 2D!
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2009, 11:49:13 am »

removeing a arrow by bruning it out from by leg.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2009, 10:55:46 am »

I dont know if i cant add my little story as it come from fortress mode, if no ill simply remove it.

It came from a siege were i got backstabbed while most of my military were rushing toward a group of Treant looking pretty and not moving preventing my dwarf to work ouside. ( It is also these treant who blew my floodgate  XD )

Well most of my military go out my fortress and start closing on the treant, while i was watching them i had a message stating my war dog got slain ( i didnt have any dog with my main group so i went back to my fort to see.... 12 ish treant coming from backward...... The time i give an order to my military to fall back to protect the main entrace and hope my trap can slow them down a bit i noticed one of my squad leader who were STILL in the fortress. She went out of the barrack and start rushing the group of 12 all by herself. Cog Otungastesh Abbanbistokkobem Tudrug Hell of a name but she deserve it ( i dont even know what it mean but IT Must be mean )

Anyway she went out started hacking and chopping these treant to kindling with his sword, went in martial trance, treant head and arms leg flying off, 1-2-3-4-5-6 down she got injured left arm lost his shield, kept fighting still in martial trance, 7-8-9-10 died, one of these treant throw her backward about 9 tile away!!! Lot of minor injury some yellow she went back to the slaughter and then the dog i unleashed finaly came to help her and the main military force joined with her. Bamm once again slammed and propeled away 4 tile into a tree this time she werent so lucky lot of major injury and a leg severed due to impack and died in the few second after it.

She managed to kill even more when the dog came and the other main military i didnt see these kill but i just noticed them as you can see in this pic.

Due to her bravery i can safely say she saved the whole fort by herself by stopping the treant advance before its too late. This gal tomb got a nice gold floor and platinum statue with a few armor stand weapon rack and chest to commemorate her bravery.

Just for the curious here her personality pretty funny hehe.

Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

wehll

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer stunned.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2009, 09:10:44 pm »

Cog Otungastesh Abbanbistokkobem Tudrug Hell of a name but she deserve it ( i dont even know what it mean but IT Must be mean )
It translates to Cog Shockcudgel Constructhairytrouble.

Hairy trouble indeed...

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2009, 10:11:45 am »

My current adventurer, the dwarf Obok Meatgod, is pretty awesome.

About midway through his adventuring career he found his way to the mythical fortress of Headshoots (yes, that Headshoots) and picked up some adamantine armour and enough adamantine weapons to fill a dwarven backpack.

Of course, he never actually uses those weapons.  Adamantine kills things too quickly.  He prefers to take his time, get to know his opponent before he kills it.  He uses a cheapo copper war hammer he picked up in a human town.  It takes him forever to kill anything.  But that's okay.  That's better.  That's terrifying.

He's gotten a bit of a reputation for killing giants, you see.  Everywhere he goes, somebody wants him to kill a giant for them.  He does it with gusto.  They're so big that his little tiny hammer can barely hurt them at all.  But please note--the operative word here is "barely".

He once spent a week visiting a cave in which there lived seven giants.  Each day, he would come in, track down each of the giants, and beat it to the point of unconsciousness.  Since he was using his tiny hammer, 90% of his hits did nothing at all.  Of those that did hit, 90% only caused light gray wounds.  Each day, he beat each of the giants down by about a full colour-change over their entire body.  Their unconsciousness wasn't from organ failure or body explosion or anything, just pain and sustained light bleeding and exhaustion and nausea.

Of course, it being impossible to dish out the wounds perfectly evenly, each of them ended up with a few more broken bones each day.  Not too much in any one sitting, but over the course of the week they started to add up.  Each time I fought them, they were just a bit more crippled than before.  Slowly, steadily, I battered them into submission.

By the fourth day, the giants turned and ran away when I tried to engage them.  By the fifth day, none of them could run any more because they all had multiple broken legs.  By the sixth day, they were reduced to just flailing weakly with one or two limbs.  On the last and final day, none of them lifted a finger against me as I slowly and purposefully battered through their stupidly thick skulls and grayed out their brains at last.

Maybe it was the spinal injuries talking.  Maybe it was the fact that every bone and joint in their bodies were broken to the point of unusableness.  But I like to think that--just maybe--I had beaten them into a state of despair so profound that, when death finally came to them, they welcomed it with open arms.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2009, 01:41:10 pm »

Interesting story, a sadistic dwarf who love beating and only beating giant not really killing :D
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Slash Harkiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2013, 07:20:15 am »

being bored of being able to survive decently well so far in the game, i decided to start building fortresses in haunted biomes. the very first place i went to was right next to the ocean, a river separated the haunted top half of the map from the rather lovely and calm bottom half, my dwarves (in some holy twist of fate) drove their caravan for the bottom half. about three times a month, the top half is completely covered in human blood that rains from the sky.

its a rather long story, so I've spoilered it for convenience. but dwarf fortress has never been as good as the time it rained something actually useful.
Angry Beards: The game where you shoot dwarves at goblin towers for stealing your beardlings.

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2013, 08:40:36 am »

being bored of being able to survive decently well so far in the game, i decided to start building fortresses in haunted biomes. the very first place i went to was right next to the ocean, a river separated the haunted top half of the map from the rather lovely and calm bottom half, my dwarves (in some holy twist of fate) drove their caravan for the bottom half. about three times a month, the top half is completely covered in human blood that rains from the sky.

its a rather long story, so I've spoilered it for convenience. but dwarf fortress has never been as good as the time it rained something actually useful.

What a necro...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7