Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zustash Alath: Tales of Labor & Greed  (Read 1575 times)

Booken the Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Zustash Alath: Tales of Labor & Greed
« on: October 19, 2009, 05:04:03 pm »

My name is Rakust Kebongoden, adept miner, and this is my story. So I got exiled from the mountain homes.
Its a strange story, because I angered royalty for flirting with their daughter, getting my 'hammer' some luck, and getting caught by her husband.

I nearly escaped a fatal hammering since I asked guidance from Moradin, The All-Bearded Father. Our laws can't refuse that request.
Luckily the high priest was my childhood friend. Thats the whole reason I asked for guidance. And he proclaimed that I could gain repentance by building an outpost for the king.

Right.

So we travelled days under hail and rain and starching sun, into the mountains, the plains and the desert, escaping the angry fangs of giant cougars, until we our supplies ran low and we were too tired to go any further.

That is when I decided to start digging, building, and name our future home... Zutash Alath. We embarked between a haunted desert and a savage savanna, but most of us stopped caring at this point.

My first order was to design stockpiles and unload the cart. Everything on the ground. Asked our Woodcutter not to stray too far as he went for our wood. Myself have started digging the first tunnels of our fortress under the hot sand.  This is our stories. We are left out here, with only the spare wood, food, water and rock to build a new home. Strike the Earth.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 04:39:31 pm by Booken the Blue »
Creature Mod:Wyrms!
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Booken the Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zustash Alath: Stories of Greed & Labor
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 05:39:05 pm »

I've found some granite under the soil layers. That will help build our fortifications.
Unfortunatly, I've also hit damp stones. I believe its an aquifier. So we cannot dig deeper for now.

I returned to the surface for a drink and beheld new workshops on the surface. Nice initiative.
So I compliment them then barked orders for beds and doors. Gotta keep them on their toes.

The woodcutter is wanting war dogs. Told him we had no time for some sissy training. He insisted, saying this place gives him the creep. What a wuss. I've told him he could build kennels. He thanked me and left, probably for work.

I've gone back and finished the barracks, complete with bedrooms. We'll use those until we have the civilian bedrooms ready. Next project is a workshop and a farm. The soil layers makes digging really easy, I'm learning a few tricks.
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Booken the Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 06:16:59 pm »

A week after we embarked, our scout took sight of the first wildlife. One-humped Camels, coming from the desert. They seemed to behave strangely. We sent our woodcutter to investigate.

He came back terryfied. The camels are zombified. The desert is for all purpose hunted. Fortunatly they're wandering too far from our camp to be serious trouble. My orders was to ignore them and keep building. But we're gonna have to protect ourselves some way.

So I talked with our mason, Vābok, and concluded that a guard tower covering the fortress entrance might be an effective way to protect ourselves. Military training might also help. We've designed plans for the tower and started building the first floor. Meanwhile I'm going back to dig down our workshops.

Booken the Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zustash Alāth: Stories of Greed & Labor
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 06:40:14 pm »

4th Hematite, 201, early summer.

It has started raining. I've became a Legendary Miner. Its time to celebrate.
I ordered a wooden weapon rack constructed, and installed outside our guard tower.
The time has come for some military training. I've called everyone to cancel their activities and meet. Brought up my speech, told them they were all now part of an elite dwarven force, that I will give them glory, and to celebrate this day as the 'gōstangbardum'

So we fought under the rain, punching and tackling our way into madness, with a gruff grunt each blow, and heavy laughter each time a dwarf felt into the mud. We ripped off our clothes, littering the floor below, and fought barenaked. 6 recruits, including myself, became the most muddied wrestlers.

From this day foward, we shall be known as 'Sūbilmebzuth', the Robust Oars, and I shall be its captain.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 07:32:08 pm by Booken the Blue »

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 07:50:35 pm »

Legendary miner? Btw nice homo-erotic picture there with the seven nude dwarfs mudwrestlin -.-`

Booken the Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 08:10:09 pm »

oh hey its not my fault they decide to rip their shits off when wrestling.

And yes. when you dig soil your digger levels up fast. So he got legendary under a season.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 08:12:29 pm by Booken the Blue »

Booken the Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 10:14:59 pm »

4th of Malachite, mid-summer 201.
The construction of the guard tower is doing well. Granite from the workshops is used to build its walls.
We have already started construction the second floor, walling it with fortifications.
The undead beasts wandered off the fields, hopefully not to be seen again.

8th of Malachite, mid-summer 201.
We have new wildlife. Reshus Macaques wandered too close to our camps. Really, really close. They seem friendly. Heck, our craftdwarf, , have been feeding one with berries he collected.
We have no rangers, but we will not deny this opportunity when it appears. I nudged Edem, our butcher. He understood, passed the word along.

So we regrouped, heartily singing our warcry, and chased down those cowardly beasts, wrestling and slaughtering every single last one. . We'll be having Reshus Macack meat pie tonight, probably served with dwarven ale.

10th of Malachite , midsummer 201
Urdrim, our craftdwarf, have started crafting stuff from the bones of the Macaques. This will be handy when the caravan will pass by.

25th of Galena, late summer 201
The desert sun was so intense I've decided to take a quick dip in the nearby pool. It was such a sudden, strong urge I had no choice but to obey it.
To my dismay, I forgot to build an exit stairway, so I had no way to get out.

Our mason, Vabōk, has taken the spare pick and undertook the task of "saving me from a watery death". Watery Death? What nonesense! The water was just righteously refreshing, and it was just right to teach me a bit of swimming. I officially declared this spot to be our swimming pool.

Undwarfly maybe, but so undoubtly refreshing. A drawbridge should be perfect for this.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:53:55 pm by Booken the Blue »

Booken the Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zustash Alath: The Journal of Raskust Kebongoden.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 12:09:06 am »

22th limestone, early autumn 201.
The caravan from the dwarven homes has arrived. Our depot is already built, so we can trade.
We traded alot of our crafts for food, ale, and leather bags.

18th sandstone, mid-autumn 201. 
Muskoxs wanders the fields. We drop our tasks and go hunting once more.
We chase them far and wide, and score a few kills. Unfortunatly, Vabōk Swimtraded, who saved my life just earlier this year, has been struck down in a few hits. This is a terrible blow to our community.
He will be decently buried. When we will have time. And a new mason. Okay so maybe not. We'll try.
To avoid such tragedy on hunting, We're gonna need to make armors soon. And ourselves, and see if we can't get more war dogs.

20th Moonstone 201, Early Winter
Kobold Thiefs! Protect the horde!
Our wrestlers intercepted and kill two kobold thieves trying for our treasure room.
The first one was able to run far, far away before being punched to death.
The second never had this chance.

25th Moonstone, 201, Early Winter.
We have started the construction of the mausoleum earlier than planned. There we will bury our heroes.
Unfortunatly.. he already decayed when we finished it. we couldn't give him a proper burial. Not to mention we couldn't get a coffin in time. Still, the mausoleum is ready.

No migrants our first year. One death. A sad way to start, really.

(ITT: Next updates, if anyone cares, will be yearly.)

Booken the Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zustash Alath: The Journal of Raskust Kebongoden.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 01:08:30 am »

Edit: ((If you build a well in your barracks... They WILL drown. O.o))
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 01:38:03 am by Booken the Blue »