Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Heyho! Im working on a DF styled multiplayer browser based game  (Read 13058 times)

xam

• Bay Watcher
  • hey hey hey!
    • View Profile
Heyho! Im working on a DF styled multiplayer browser based game
« on: October 19, 2009, 10:54:26 pm »

Heyo everybody! I'm Jack.

I'm new to the forums, but have been playing for a while. I blady love DF!

I wanted to tell you guys I've just started working on a multiplayer browser version of DF. I have considered it for quite a while now, and have decided to give it a crack ;D

Early days at the moment, but so far have a basic world generator, and a map you can move around (like adventure mode).

The plan is, you create a dwarf (you can have as many as you want) and then you jump into a world. You can chat and interact with other players in that world, head to different worlds, level up skills, build things, make and trade items, farm, pvp, all that kind of stuff.

I know its possible, and will have a basic example soon if you guys want to have a look :)

Let me know if any of you would be interested in playing and testing, that would rock

Ill provide more info if you throw some questions at me

take it eaaasy :)

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
Re: Heyho! Andd..Im working on DF Multiplayer
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 11:12:45 pm »

well buddy lets slow this gravy train down a little.

what is Dwarf Fortress? well it aims to be a fantasy simulator and the ultimate single player game.
so how can we have a multiplayer experience in a single player game?

now i'm all for multiplayer but Dwarf Fortress is great because its a single player.
i'd rather not see it devolve into a mmo-slum or even see another game carrying the Dwarf Fortress name not associated with Toady.
This is Toady's game baby afterall.

there are also several Dwarf Fortress Multiplayer threads out there too, here's one for example.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26680.0

if you're aiming to make a fantasy browser based mmo awesome, sounds like a grand adventure.
but if your planning on reverse-engineering Toady's game into browser mmo, i think you should just drop the Dwarf Fortress title altogether.

xam

• Bay Watcher
  • hey hey hey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 11:22:43 pm »

hey man, ive read through most of the multiplayer threads already :)

i don't wish to take toadys baby child away, nor do i wish to tarnish the dwarf fortress name, etc

all im setting out to do, is provide a dwarf fortress like multiplayer experience which is easily accessible. im not going to reverse engineer the game and copy it;x just take concepts of df and turn them multiplayer

if toady doesnt want me doing this, and nobody is interested, then ill stop, use the engine ive been working on for a different type of game, its not a problem for me man, i just thought it would be a nice thing to have out there, if people wanted it (and i think a few people)

:)

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 11:24:01 pm »

So what you're saying is that you're making your own game which has nothing to do with DF at all except in basic concept.

yeah alright, good luck. Not really meant for these forums, though.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 11:31:30 pm »

So what you're saying is that you're making your own game which has nothing to do with DF at all except in basic concept.

yeah alright, good luck. Not really meant for these forums, though.

Now now, lets be nice.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

xam

• Bay Watcher
  • hey hey hey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 11:33:08 pm »

all im saying is, they blatently arn't gonna be making a multiplayer any time soon, and a fair few people would enjoy it, so why not

its like making a 3d viewer tool or something, but slightly different :3

and it would be pretty much dwarf fortress, with a few less features, new features, and mmo persistant player created worlds. like i said, if nobody wants to play it or toady tells me to leave it, i wont continue :)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 11:55:18 pm »

Until you have something tangible I doubt anyone's gonna care too much.  'Working on' is a far cry from 'here's a playable demonstration'.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 11:59:51 pm »

I'd assume that it would be unspeakably rude to bounce out of nowhere and boldly state that you're making a game based on another person's game, using their copyrighted title, without getting permission beforehand.

You honestly don't see the difference between people making mods and tools for DF and making a brand new game using somebody else's ideas and names for it?

If you want to make a game similar to DF, fine, nobody can stop you. But I wouldn't put Dwarf Fortress anywhere on it without getting Toady's express permission to do so ahead of time. In private. It's just common freaking courtesy.

xam

• Bay Watcher
  • hey hey hey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 12:03:53 am »

one, i could have a playable version up in a day or two, but it would be very basic, i want to add a bit of meat first, so i'd say a week.

secondly, i keep saying, if toady isnt happy with me doing this, then i wont do it

personally i would be positive if somebody had something to give to the df community :x

i do see the difference!

xam

• Bay Watcher
  • hey hey hey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 12:05:24 am »

and i never said the title of it, it has no title, your just picking at things man! relax

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 12:07:02 am »

"I'm working on DF multiplayer"

xam

• Bay Watcher
  • hey hey hey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 12:11:49 am »

jesus christ, you're pedantic you guys ;p

that came across wrong, i meant it as in 'im working on a df type multiplayer game'

-.-

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 12:28:27 am »

What did you expect to happen?  Surely you weren't trying to generate hype for your own game without screenshots or any real details other than "It's dwarf fortress multiplayer".   It's hard to see it in a positive light with that much to go on, is all.

xam

• Bay Watcher
  • hey hey hey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 12:31:31 am »

im not trying to do anything other than what i say

im seeing if theres interest at this time, and readying you for some screenies and info.

i've also said you can ask me about it, you havn't asked a single question! ill put some details together for you guys :)

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 12:38:31 am »

This probably belongs in Other Games
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7