Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Heyho! Im working on a DF styled multiplayer browser based game  (Read 13057 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: Heyho! Andd..Im working on DF Multiplayer
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 12:49:08 am »

Hehe, "Tarnish the Dwarf Fortress name".

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavour. Be adviced, however, that Dwarf Fortress has taken several years of pretty much constant work, and is far from complete. The version numbering would suggest that almost a third of the stuff required for version one is in, but I don't think that's very accurate at all. And then there's all the post-version-one stuff, like magic and such.

Yeah, and calling it "Dwarf Fortress Multiplayer" is maybe a wee bit misleading, so you should come up with a better working title. And I guess this would actually belong on the Other Games section.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 12:52:04 am »

What did you expect to happen?  Surely you weren't trying to generate hype for your own game without screenshots or any real details other than "It's dwarf fortress multiplayer".   It's hard to see it in a positive light with that much to go on, is all.

It's hard to see it in any light at all, even a negative one.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 01:00:41 am »

i do see the difference!

Well, as long as you see the difference...I'm not quite convinced that you do, but I'm sceptical by nature.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 01:06:11 am »

Come on, cut the guy a break a little. I don't really think Toady will care that much if someone wants to create a casual sort of DF-inspired multiplayer browser game, although he might have sounded like he was trying to use the name or whatever in his original post.

Really, though, I suggest coming back when you have something to show. People are skeptical and pretty consistently say they're working on something and then never produce. :P

For what it's worth, someone from the IRC channel (GauHellDragon) has worked on something similar. I think it focuses more on the building aspect of the game than the adventure aspect, though.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 01:52:01 am »

Go easy on the guy, it's just youthful enthusiasm. Hasn't everybody dreamed of making their own game at some point? And have we not all been young enough to hilariously believe that we had the time, energy and ability to do so?

*pats onna head*
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 04:25:55 am »

Go easy on the guy, it's just youthful enthusiasm. Hasn't everybody dreamed of making their own game at some point? And have we not all been young enough to hilariously believe that we had the time, energy and ability to do so?

*pats onna head*

Hehe I know the feeling. Planning a game since highschool. I have the concept, the idea, the CMS (my code), the world generation, the mechanics of the game done.. All I'm missing to get famous is a good HTML design :S
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 04:26:45 am »

programming and developing a game is an awesome and challenging project, and its fine that hes doing it.

from what it seems he plans on making an online rogue-esque adventure game and less so dwarf fortress.
but i think this should be moved to "creative projects" seeing as its nothing more than that.

and it is misleading as the title is "... DF Multiplayer"... it implies things...
most of the community is protective of Tarn's game because he is protective of his game.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 05:04:36 am »

*pats onna head*

IT'S STILL REAL TO ME, MAN!

*grinds up old C# files into lines*
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 06:29:09 am »

yeah, this is that thing that Toady does with his time, the thing he does for fun and profit. he lives on our donations and said himself that he doesn't like the idea of third party DF works, i think in one of the audio clips he said he is even a little uneasy with visualisers.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

CautionToTheWind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 11:36:36 am »

Hi Jack!

I think you got an unfairly harsh response here. You stated your goal and people tried hard to be obtuse to have something to say. So yeah "Dwarf Fortress" is Toady's trademark around here, i don't know if he registered it but in this forum it is. I'm sure you knew that already.

I hope you go ahead and make your game, and that it takes as many of DF's good ideas as you can. It would be a great thing to have, that you are offering to do for free, so i think we should just be grateful, and if not interested just not use it like the other thousands of free software products you don't use.

Personally i'm not sure i will be interested in your project because i love fortress mode more than adventure mode. But i suggest you choose your tools so that it can be executed on Linux and OSX as well.

Best of luck!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 11:45:14 am »

I, and you all know how creepily devoted to Toady I am, think this can become very DF like in many ways and still not threaten Toady one bit. here are my assumptions (assumptions are more like opinions and suggestion than facts in this case):

- This will be a browser based game, With ASCII display and an user interface and visual feel as close to DF as possible.
 - The REAL appeal of DF is not in the physical and mechanical stuff, it is 80% in the AI stuff with personality, 10% in world generation and history, and 8% in all the awesome future goals.
 - the browser based game will have a title that is not a copy of DF nor completely unrelated to it, perhaps a play on the title or something about it being a tribute on the main page, and will have a link to Toadys donation area on the page.
 - the browser based game will not have any NPCs, or very rudimentary and AI-less ones, and will have only rudimentary history, and maps made by hand but perhaps inspired by ones of the DFMA or such.
 - It will either be adventure mode based in a way that it could really be any rougelike, or centred around a single fortress with each player taking the role of a dwarf, and there being no worldmap and external events such as caravans and sieges will probably be created and controlled by hand by some kind of GM-like figure.
 - It will copy the DF systems for combat, skills and experience, building and mining, and physics like hydrodynamics and mechanisms, probably able to run these things at greater detail/with a larger map due to using a dedicated server machine or being distributed across clients.

If my assumptions are reasonably close to the truth, and possibly if they are not, I'd greatly enjoy playing such a game, but for completely different reasons than DF!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

xam

• Bay Watcher
  • hey hey hey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 12:22:05 pm »

Armok thats pretty close.

(ive been working on map generation all day today)

the only ideas i have for ai at the moment would be a pet that follows you about, and obviously the roaming animals

yeh it would pretty much be adventure mode, on a fairly huge map with infinite amount of players

all shaping the land, constructing, pvp'ing etc

what ive done in the last 2 days:

got a simple map display, which shows an 11 tile radius around you.

WASD to move around, the map is updated real time so you will see the squares changing and players moving around realtime

ive put in most of the basic tile details (characters/colours) so it actualy looks like the df display

and ive also made a basic world generator, which fractals a massive grid with temperature, rainfall, etc

and it then calculates the tile types and sets them

will do another day or 2 chunk of work then post some screenies :)

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 12:57:22 pm »

Alrighty, so, let's see if I understand this

1. You're shamelessly trying to promote your own project on another forum dedicated to the very works you're mimicking

2. The game has nothing to do with DF and yet here you are, on the DF forums, trying to promote "DF multiplayer" copying a DF style interface and world generation which is in no way affiliated with Toady

3. You didn't even think to PM Toady to ask if this would be ok

So instead of coming up with a concept of your own you decide to instead copy someone else's idea and attempt to advertise to their very userbase. To top it all of you have literally nothing to show for yourself in this topic except some very broad and very worrying ideas.

Why did you think this would be a good idea?

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 01:06:31 pm »

@ Penguin

Man, relax. It's not like he's stealing Tarns code and selling it to the ruskies.

I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

xam

• Bay Watcher
  • hey hey hey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 01:09:53 pm »

im not shameless promoting anything, i just wanted to give something to this community, and i think it would be real fun

im working on like 12 multiplayer games on and off at the moment, all of which are my own idea. some of which are real complex, and pretty fun ;D so im blatently not trying to rip somebody off for recognition/whatever, and i have a large steady flow of my own ideas thhhhankyou

and i have plans to email toady, you gotta stop assuming things man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7