Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Heyho! Im working on a DF styled multiplayer browser based game  (Read 13059 times)

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
Re: Heyho! Andd..Im working on DF Multiplayer
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2009, 02:36:02 pm »

Alrighty, so, let's see if I understand this

1. You're shamelessly trying to promote your own project on another forum dedicated to the very works you're mimicking

2. The game has nothing to do with DF and yet here you are, on the DF forums, trying to promote "DF multiplayer" copying a DF style interface and world generation which is in no way affiliated with Toady

3. You didn't even think to PM Toady to ask if this would be ok

So instead of coming up with a concept of your own you decide to instead copy someone else's idea and attempt to advertise to their very userbase. To top it all of you have literally nothing to show for yourself in this topic except some very broad and very worrying ideas.

Why did you think this would be a good idea?

Well thats an over reaction if ever I saw one.
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Taal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 05:16:03 pm »

Hai Guise, I'm also working on Dwarf Fortress Multiplayer, a different one to Xams, but it's totally my own idea. In fact I'm working on like 100 multiplayer games ripping off ideas from indie games that rely on their game for their livelihood, some are really fun and complex (just like the games I'm stealing the ideas from) but those are my ideas too, and I can't show you proof of any of them. Sorry disregard that, Im not trying to rip somebody off for recognition/lawsuits/lack of originality/whatever, just unintentionally with ignorance, and I have tons of my own ideas, which I stole from other games Lol.

Yeah.. No seriously, I hope you do well, I'm sorry if I sounded sarcastic..

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 05:33:29 pm »

I think he just miscommunicated. I'm going to with-hold judgement until we see some screen shots or something else that tangibly shows the game. The description really sounds like its going to be something drastically different with some of the same elements.
I doubt Toady is going to suffer by someone making ANOTHER rogue-like.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2009, 06:01:57 pm »

Hai Guise, I'm also working on Dwarf Fortress Multiplayer, a different one to Xams, but it's totally my own idea. In fact I'm working on like 100 multiplayer games ripping off ideas from indie games that rely on their game for their livelihood, some are really fun and complex (just like the games I'm stealing the ideas from) but those are my ideas too, and I can't show you proof of any of them. Sorry disregard that, Im not trying to rip somebody off for recognition/lawsuits/lack of originality/whatever, just unintentionally with ignorance, and I have tons of my own ideas, which I stole from other games Lol.

Yeah.. No seriously, I hope you do well, I'm sorry if I sounded sarcastic..

This sort of thing really isn't needed, is it?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2009, 06:03:29 pm »

No, it's not.

He didn't even say what his other games are like at all, so ripping into him for those is just ridiculous.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2009, 07:19:17 pm »

@ Penguin

Man, relax. It's not like he's stealing Tarns code and selling it to the ruskies.

I don't get why you keep telling me to relax, duder. I'm not getting worked up over this. The whole situation is just so ridiculous I'm surprised anyone has to even explain it to him. What you're mistaking as an overreaction is simply me being as comprehensive as I can

Yep!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2009, 09:30:22 pm »

Sounds good to me, but have you Emailed or Pmed toady?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2009, 09:38:41 pm »

@ Penguin

Man, relax. It's not like he's stealing Tarns code and selling it to the ruskies.

I don't get why you keep telling me to relax, duder. I'm not getting worked up over this. The whole situation is just so ridiculous I'm surprised anyone has to even explain it to him. What you're mistaking as an overreaction is simply me being as comprehensive as I can

Yep!

I'm not sure how telling you to relax once turns into "keeps telling".

EDIT: Oh I see, I also said "Now now, lets be nice" on page one. Well, jeez dude, you are going on the offensive.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 09:40:51 pm by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2009, 10:13:43 pm »

@ Penguin

Yep!

I'm not sure how telling you to relax once turns into "keeps telling".

EDIT: Oh I see, I also said "Now now, lets be nice" on page one. Well, jeez dude, you are going on the offensive.

Ah, my fault dude, I thought for some reason you told me to "relax" twice.

I'm still not sure why you think I'm being aggressive or going on the offensive. I've made just two posts, one which simply said this probably doesn't belong in General Discussion and the other listed all the (what I felt were) obvious reasons Toady might be not be happy with this project

Taal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2009, 10:46:20 pm »

Well I, for one, am being negative about this.

It would have been quite fine if Xam came to the fora, and in the proper section explained that he is working on a Browser based Rogue-like. That this game took inspiration from Dwarf Fortress and that because of that he thinks that our community would like this game. However that's not what he has done.

Instead he has made a Topic in the Wrong Section, claiming "I've just started working on a multiplayer browser version of DF" and that all the ideas for this multiplayer DF ripoff, with no permission from Toady, were his own. All the while making unsubstantiated claims about his progress, and his ability as a programmer.

Personally I have doubts that he really is working on a game at all. This;
im working on like 12 multiplayer games on and off at the moment, all of which are my own idea. some of which are real complex, and pretty fun ;D so im blatently not trying to rip somebody off for recognition/whatever, and i have a large steady flow of my own ideas thhhhankyou
Is not what I take as proof for anything. However even if he does come forth with a Browser based Rogue-like, he's approach to this situation was wrong and lends itself to replies such as mine.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2009, 11:11:05 pm »

It's hard enough to make any sort of MP roguelike in the first place, let alone (I would assume) one based on DF.  But this is based on the assumption that it will be a roguelike, of course.

If he manages to get any kind of product released, I would be very interested in trying it; honestly, though, I'm not holding my breath.

That said, good luck, sir!
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2009, 01:10:24 am »

If you guys are upset about this thread being in the wrong forum, ask the OP to move it via the thread controls in the lower left.  That's seriously such a petty thing to call him/her out for.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2009, 06:11:59 am »

I think the only thing being stolen here is inspiration.

How many people have made their own home-brew games based on D&D, Final Fantasy or other game titles? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Wishing you well in your endeavor Xan. Good on you for working on your own project with such enthusiasm. If you ever do get a working version running, be sure to credit Toady and link his donation page.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2009, 06:23:19 am »

And never, ever forget:  The smallest, most pitiful playable game is better than a thousand grand ideas, never finished!

People totally overshoot when they make stuff these days.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2009, 06:48:48 am »

I wonder why Dungeon Master wasn't mentioned yet. It has a very DF-like world, ability to build workshops, same skill system, very similar races, mining etc. It works perfectly (although there was some kind of mini-war between "Toady's lovers" and "Ginseng's lovers".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7