Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This will not end well...  (Read 1836 times)

TheCatfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Catfish, friend of Carp
    • View Profile
This will not end well...
« on: October 20, 2009, 08:23:04 am »

So I'm sitting here in my new fort, spring has sprung and everyone is having their celebrations for a first year in the fort (seriously, there's a party going on in the great hall).

I then get a message, the elven merchants have arrived. Now, without proper defences to stand up to a war with the elves I decide I can put up with them and can sell them some crap.
>Queue up 20 Rock Crafts
>Urist McCrafstdwarf goes to make Crafts

The elves arrive and begin unloading their goods. Almost immediately afterwards I get a "Thief! Protect the hoard from skulking filth!" Message. It snaps to the kobold by the entrance where my trade depot it. He gets swiftly kicked in the face by a muskox. But then I get 5 more thief messages and "An ambush! Skulking Vermin!"

So I have 12 kobolds in my base. 2 Picks and 1 axe. 2 Elves, 2 muskoxen and loads of cats and dogs.

One cat and 2 puppies were slain before "Stray Dog <Tame> has become Enraged!". The dog proceeds to take out 2 of the kobolds before dying. He even got named. Meanwhile my woodworker gets struck down by a Swordskobold. The elves meanwhile. Both dead, one in the depot, one in the middle of my fort, his muskox next to him.

I've now activated my miners who are swiftly taking the kobolds down.

Can I expect elven attacks now?

EDIT: All the kobolds are gone now. The last was chased into the pit by my farmer who got enraged. Chased him right up and over the mountain. Also good news turns out the elf in the middle of the fort is still alive (wait...is that good news?)

EDIT 2: That elf then ran to the trade depot and I thought "Oh goody he still wants to trade." But he packed up and ran off.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 08:32:10 am by TheCatfish »
"I'm Urist McHanz!" "And I'm Urist McFranz!" "And we're going to PUMP" *clap* "you up!"

The catfish, deadlier than hippos, and piranhas, crocodiles, and sharks.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: This will not end well...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 08:29:54 am »

It takes a lot more than a few dead traders to provoke the elves into attacking you.  You'll be fine.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

TheCatfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 08:34:45 am »

Phew. Was a tad worried bout that.

And look immigrants. After all that just happened they're going to walk into the main gates to find a dead elf, many dead kobolds, a dead cat or two. Just another day at the office I suppose.

EDIT: On his way to the fortress Onul Cerolstigaz, just a humble peasant, see's the blooded fortress gates and wonders what marvels lay within. Suddenly from the netherworlds he feels something deep within longing to escape and is hit with a fey mood. (70 tiles from where he appeared this happens, I hope I can accomodate his needs  :-\)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 08:40:01 am by TheCatfish »
"I'm Urist McHanz!" "And I'm Urist McFranz!" "And we're going to PUMP" *clap* "you up!"

TheCatfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 08:57:12 am »

Well his fey mood got a tad...recursive.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 10:25:21 am »

Fortunately the elves are pansies. They'll put up with a lot of shit before they actually invade, and sue for peace after a few asskickings.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 01:42:25 pm »

Assuming you didn't already kill their diplomats.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 07:41:46 pm »

Well his fey mood got a tad...recursive.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One ring to rule them all...
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 11:01:02 pm »

One ring to rule the one ring to rule the one ring to rule...

TauQuebb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 07:41:12 am »

either that or its 'the other ring' from munchkin

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 09:46:06 am »

How did you mod kobolds to ambush you?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

TheCatfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 11:35:39 am »

How did you mod kobolds to ambush you?

I didn't, straight Vanilla. Are they not meant to?

EDIT: From the wiki
Kobold raiding parties may occasionally show up to ambush your dwarves outside once kobold thieves have successfully stolen some items.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 01:09:12 pm »

It means they must have grabbed some stuff out of your wagon when you weren't looking. I always enjoy the kobold raids, because you will always underestimate them. Plus they are easily appeased. When I was anoyed by the amount of goblin cloth I kept getting I set up a little hut for the kobolds to take from, as a sign of good will. sadly I don't think many kobolds survived my offerings.