Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Are goblins fungi?  (Read 3227 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Are goblins fungi?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 06:27:30 pm »

Goblins are like chameleons. They change color, but only based on the weapon they're holding.

Aye, but they're grey when they're not in the military.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 10:19:06 pm »

...which is to say, that's what their color is in the raws. So most logical selection for natural skin color. That lack of pigmentation would naturally evolve from cave life, and be exacerbated by never bathing.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Fluffy Wambler

• Bay Watcher
  • feep feep feep
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 04:51:08 am »

Goblins in DF are Fluffy Wamblers corrupted by Tentacle Demons.

FEEEEEEEEEP

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 05:23:13 am »

You know, has Toady ever actually said that Goblins in DF are green or grey skinned?  Because they're supposedly based on the goblins from Labyrinth, who were definitely not green or grey.

One more question to await the next version for an answer.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 06:29:31 am »

Goblins and Elves are the only creatures in the game that are immortal in that they do not age or die of old age.

It's theorised that Elves are some horrific form of mutated Goblin, possibly caused by extended overexposure to Demons.

There's never been any word from Toady on the skin colour of Goblins; it is usually assumed to be Green.

Sabre_Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 06:53:40 am »

I thought they were red.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 06:56:47 am »

Goblins and Elves are the only creatures in the game that are immortal in that they do not age or die of old age.

All Megabeasts and Semimegabeasts do not age either.

Also though I am unsure I believe all "Men" creatures do not age either.

Ohh and who could forget HFS.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 07:06:39 am »

All Megabeasts and Semimegabeasts do not age either.

Also though I am unsure I believe all "Men" creatures do not age either.

Ohh and who could forget HFS.

Megabeasts and HFS are of course, Megabeasts and HFS. Both have perfectly acceptible logical reasons to not age.

Batmen, Olmmen, Snakemen etc all age, Element Men (Mudmen, Firemen, Ironmen and Magma Men) do not age. Again, perfectly acceptible and logical reasons for not aging. Fire Imps are a bit of an odd one out in that they do not age, but then again they do swim in magma, something no natural creature is capable of, so it might be justified.

Elves and Goblins remain the odd creatures out in that they don't age yet don't seem to have any logical reasoning for that.

Plus, stop trying to ruin my fantasy about Elves being corrupt Goblins.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 08:58:00 am »

Huh. I always assumed goblins were green because that's what they are with the Dystopian Rhetoric graphics.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 09:36:37 am »

If goblins are fungi, then Dark Towers suddenly make a lot of sense. From all the way up there one can spread spores over a larger distance.

I suppose we will have to ask Toady about the goblin skin color. I'm sure as heck humans and dwarves are not teal.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 09:39:52 am »

The element-men are suppoused to be golems or something, the dig deeper mod has them renamed into such I believe.

Some of the animalmen have lifespans similar to humans (45-80 or 90, something like that), so they could outlive your fort if you don't kill them.

You forgot about the horses donkeys, mules, and unicorns, I believe the horses had no maxage (forget about the other two) and so were effectively immortal. So, I gave them maxages similar to other domestics. The unicorns I left immortal because well, it just makes sense as they are suppousedly magical. And no I'm not an unicorn lover, in fact, I gave them the ability to breed so that I could have an unicorn skin/bone industry when possible :).

As for HFS and Megabeasts, Demons would either be immortal or live for tens of thousands of years, Bronze Colossi are a type of golem, and dragons routinely live for thousands or even tens of thousands of years in many fantasty works.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 01:08:29 pm »

The element-men are suppoused to be golems or something, the dig deeper mod has them renamed into such I believe.

Is that from Toady, or is that just the guy who wrote Dig Deeper extrapolating? I can only imagine if he had wanted them to be golems, he would have just called them golems.

Some of the animalmen have lifespans similar to humans (45-80 or 90, something like that), so they could outlive your fort if you don't kill them.

Don't forget, Dwarves have much longer lifespans than that. Around 150, I believe? Someone else may have a better idea, but I certainly know they live longer than a century.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009, 02:05:23 pm »

I think it was just the guy who wrote dig deeper extrapolating. In the raws, the magma man is suppoused to have magic keeping it alive (or would if magic were in) and a golem is a humanoid construct (from rock, wood, whatever) that is animated through some form of magic. So it fits.

I know dwarves have much longer lifespans, but the average fort people do lasts less than a century. In the raws, it says 150-170.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 10:01:13 am »

goblins are granted eternal life by the dark ones they serve. since they serve them directly. same thing for elves... excepted instead of dark ones its more green and brown ones that give you a rash.

Dwarves have gods, but they don't really give a hoot what they want. and the others fit into the general lower humanoid cast on par or lower then humans.
Pages: 1 [2]