Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia 4: End - Winter Wonderland  (Read 49807 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia 4: End - Winter Wonderland
« Reply #390 on: November 17, 2009, 04:09:36 pm »

I suppose it ultimately became three good players (pandarsenic was ICing scum) against the town, and webadict's influence just wasn't enough...

So yeah, well done scum.

Incidentally:
Scum should NEVER ask for a day shortening, dood. ._. Why would you even... ugh.
I can see a lot of RiA coming from this :P.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 17, 2009, 04:12:19 pm »

I suppose it ultimately became three good players (pandarsenic was ICing scum) against the town, and webadict's influence just wasn't enough...

So yeah, well done scum.

Incidentally:
Scum should NEVER ask for a day shortening, dood. ._. Why would you even... ugh.

I think it hurt a lot that Webadict became computer-less in the middle of the game, and that the town was pretty much left with me "ICing."  Except for the fact that as I told them how to kill me, I was also convincing them to kill each other.

That entire game was an experiment in Refuge in Audacity, to be honest >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 17, 2009, 04:14:17 pm »

Given how much we talk about RiA lately, it's about time it gets used as a natural scum tactic.

That means the game is evolving.  Old tells die and new tells are formed.

*still waiting for the day 3rd vote dies*
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 17, 2009, 04:24:48 pm »

OMGUS is pretty much dead.

As for third vote... well, it's easy enough to look back on someone you knew was scum and say "third vote scumtell" (it was me as Envy that triggered it most recently, right?) but it's harder to tell a town 3rd vote (someone has to place the third vote, after all) from a scum 3rd vote ingame...

So, I suppose mafia members could always try to start a bandwagon?  Jump on it later? :P

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 17, 2009, 04:30:41 pm »

When I'm watchful for it, I still spot scum with it.  It's not a "OMG LYNCH!" style scumtell, but when a bandwagon forms and you don't like the target, it's a great tool to make a first strike.

The key is that it's based on scum who aren't leading the town but don't want to look like they are lurking either.  Thus they take slightly longer before getting on a vote for someone, even if they DO have good reasons for it.  They end up at the 3rd vote of a bandwagon due to that.

Even when I'm scum, I find that if I'm not the start of the attack, by the time I'm ready to vote Mr.3rdSpot is right there to say "HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!"
I KNEW IT!

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 17, 2009, 04:37:16 pm »

Oh man!

I saw that slip, and Vector freaked out about, and I didn't press it. Man! I should have, if I did, I would have gotten you guys! Still, good game!
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 17, 2009, 04:37:53 pm »

When I'm watchful for it, I still spot scum with it.  It's not a "OMG LYNCH!" style scumtell, but when a bandwagon forms and you don't like the target, it's a great tool to make a first strike.
I'm now trying to imagine the alternative where placing the third vote is a lynchable offence.  Of course, remember what would happen when you try to lynch the 3rd voter :P.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 17, 2009, 05:26:41 pm »

Two games where I'm considered a Threat with a capital T. Hmm.

wait wait

did I see in that scumchat that I'm an "experienced player"? ;D

And the problem with threat kills is aptly demonstrated by the doctor's pick here-3/4 correct doc picks seems like it should be a record.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 17, 2009, 05:33:22 pm »

Two games where I'm considered a Threat with a capital T. Hmm.

wait wait

did I see in that scumchat that I'm an "experienced player"? ;D

And the problem with threat kills is aptly demonstrated by the doctor's pick here-3/4 correct doc picks seems like it should be a record.

You have good social skills.  I am terrified of people with good social skills, when it comes to playing Mafia >_>  As far as I can tell, good social machinery coming in is worth at least 5 games already under your belt as a raw newb.

So yes, "experienced player."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 17, 2009, 05:54:53 pm »

in re that: I think mafia is an absolutely horrid place to learn them, as friendliness is supposed to be a scumtell, you're supposed to scan people for inconsistencies, jump on them when they do.

Also, it was Apostolic Nihilist who was calling me experienced, I think you only called me "dangerous".
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 17, 2009, 06:02:31 pm »

in re that: I think mafia is an absolutely horrid place to learn them, as friendliness is supposed to be a scumtell, you're supposed to scan people for inconsistencies, jump on them when they do.

Also, it was Apostolic Nihilist who was calling me experienced, I think you only called me "dangerous".

You'd be surprised.  If you're a person who can't distinguish lies from the truth at all, determine that someone might be trying to manipulate you, or discover the reasons why someone might be being inconsistent (rather than freaking the hell out because there's a couple of inconsistencies in the universe, and you just can't figure out what to do with them), it's absolutely the best place to learn.

Plus, people IRL don't really like a surfeit of friendliness/passivity, either.  I've learned this from quite a bit of experience.

Anyway, it's the only thing I've found that has gotten anywhere near working.  At all.

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 17, 2009, 06:36:42 pm »

I actually made quite a few egregious errors that game, but yeah; Vector is an awesome scumbuddy.

I think I'll be opting out of future beginner mafias -- while I'm still a newb, I'm not really a 'beginner'.

Oh, and CobaltKobold is... exceedingly dangerous.

I'm not sure what my scumtells were this round; I think I acted similar to how I usually do as town though.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 17, 2009, 08:27:59 pm »

I wish I could give a deep analysis of everyone's play.  I did that back in BM 2 and people loved it.

However, I don't have the time to really do that.  For that, my apologies.

Instead, I will push my host duties further.  Soon Beginner's Mafia 6 will open for signups.

Note that those who have just finished playing in this game are now free to enter another Beginner's Mafia.  I ask, though, that if you have more than 5 Bay-12 games under your belt (the Karma Thread can show how many you have) then think about how experienced you are before you join.

I KNEW IT!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 17, 2009, 10:53:19 pm »

So yeah, well done scum.

Incidentally:

I think it hurt a lot that Webadict became computer-less in the middle of the game, and that the town was pretty much left with me "ICing."  Except for the fact that as I told them how to kill me, I was also convincing them to kill each other.

That entire game was an experiment in Refuge in Audacity, to be honest >_>
Yeah... if I were playing, I'd've lynched Vector when I could. I mean... really? He was the most experienced player! He pulled my stunt from the game before!

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 18, 2009, 12:15:40 am »

Heh. I swear, if I've learned one thing from my games, its to lynch the most experienced player no questions asked. I mean, twice? Come on!
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28