Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wild Animal Reproduction  (Read 3838 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Wild Animal Reproduction
« on: October 20, 2009, 05:35:05 pm »

Most wild animals do not reproduce, but apparently some (hippos, cave crocodiles) do. I haven't been able to identify a creature token that enables this. What causes it, and can other wild animals be made able to reproduce?

Murray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Animal Reproduction
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 06:12:50 pm »

I've read that all wild animals can reproduce, they just rarely stay on the map long enough for it to happen.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 06:44:44 pm »

The [CHILD:x] tag, [liTTERSIZE:x:y] tag or [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag. I think. Also, the lack of a [FEMALE] or [MALE] tag.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 06:46:51 pm »

I've read that all wild animals can reproduce, they just rarely stay on the map long enough for it to happen.
That is indeed the problem.  Also note:  animals cannot get pregnant while caged, but if they are pregnant upon caging, they can give birth in the cage.

It does not matter how many matching pairs you stuff in a cage.  It ain't happening.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 06:54:39 pm »

That is indeed the problem.  Also note:  animals cannot get pregnant while caged, but if they are pregnant upon caging, they can give birth in the cage.

It does not matter how many matching pairs you stuff in a cage.  It ain't happening.

Clearly there isn't enough room to get a decent run-up. <_<
Also known as Zuhayr.

Aeltar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 07:22:25 pm »

A bit off-topic, but even though caged animals can't reproduce, as far as I know animals in pits can.  Just make sure to lock the door in there...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 07:27:31 pm »

Well of course.  A pit is entirely different than a cage.  Cages are magic portals to pocket dimensions that don't allow contact between the occupants of a single cage.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 08:18:37 am »

I will say one time I modded a creature and had an error with their legs in the body tokens where they were always flashing the
  • wounded icon.  Those did breed in cages.  Got annoying after a while because their babies would spawn out of the cages.  Stuff them in and they just kept breeding.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 09:09:06 am »

So, if I managed to corral a herd of wild camels or a pack of wild wolves within a giant perimeter wall so that they couldn't leave the map, they would reproduce? Or do they also need special Child, Littersize, etc tags?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 10:15:18 am »

So, if I managed to corral a herd of wild camels or a pack of wild wolves within a giant perimeter wall so that they couldn't leave the map, they would reproduce? Or do they also need special Child, Littersize, etc tags?
Yep.  I've done this more than once.  Interesting thing is that there seems to be a limit of how many migrating wild animals can exist.  Once their numbers reach a certain number they won't breed anymore, and you won't get any more wandering in off the map edge.  Kill some or let them escape and more will appear.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 03:13:25 pm »

I will say one time I modded a creature and had an error with their legs in the body tokens where they were always flashing the
  • wounded icon.  Those did breed in cages.  Got annoying after a while because their babies would spawn out of the cages.  Stuff them in and they just kept breeding.
Unless this kept happening for multiple years, they probably go pregnant beforehand.  If a male and female are free for even a second - even when on opposite sides of the map - the female can become pregnant.  This has lead to the common joke that everything reproduces by spores in DF.

Also of note: if you had an owned version of that animal (as in, a pet with a dwarven owner) or had some other reason for frequently adding more creatures into the cage, that too could cause that.  An animal can be pregnant for quite some time before giving birth, and that is the main reason wild animals don't reproduce much.

I just had a thought:  Using mechanisms, you could probably make a large pit that automatically lets out a small portion of the animals within for a hunter to hunt in safety.  It would certainly keep them from rushing out and getting themselves killed in ambushes due to the lack of wild animals outside the pit.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:18:55 pm by LegoLord »
Just so I remember

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 10:16:24 am »

Unless this kept happening for multiple years, they probably go pregnant beforehand.  If a male and female are free for even a second - even when on opposite sides of the map - the female can become pregnant.  This has lead to the common joke that everything reproduces by spores in DF.

I'm well aware of that and it kept happening for multiple years.  The only creatures out of the cages were when the babies were born and appeared outside and I would prompltly stuff them in the cages.  First time I thought it was from pre-caged pregnancy but after the 10th or so time it was pretty obviously not considering it came from one breeding pair. 

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 04:32:26 pm »

On rare occasions I've had similar events with caged creatures over multiple years, but for the most part it seems to be just a fluke.