Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multiple Choosable Civilizations  (Read 914 times)

Aeltar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multiple Choosable Civilizations
« on: October 18, 2009, 09:13:46 pm »

I was unsure where to put this, as it's a gameplay feature only found in mods.

I play several mods, some of which allow several civilizations to be played.  Is there a way I can tell (on the pre-embarkation screen) which race the civ I chose is?  It gets tiring wanting to play Gnomes and finding that you accidentally chose Dwarves...

And yes, I could change the raws to only make one civ playable.  But that's a lot of work for every time I want to start a fort/village of a different civilization.

Thanks!

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Choosable Civilizations
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 09:24:36 pm »

I don't think there is a way to tell during embark.  You could look up the civilizations in Legends and see what race they are.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 09:28:06 pm »

You choose them by pressing TAB, and if your civilizations have different site types, it's quite easy to understand who are they. Dwarves = statue symbols (omega), elves = mug symbols (i), humans = floor grate symbols ("#"), goblins = cabinet symbols (pi). If they use the same site types though, the only possibility is to look in legends.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Aeltar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 09:56:50 pm »

Thanks for the help Deon, I'm not sure if the graphics set/races I use have different symbols.  Here's hoping, though!

Legends mode will also clear things up, most likely.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 04:27:43 am »

It depends on their default site types. I usually mod in races with different site types, but it's a common thing for me to have many races with towns (because towns have shops).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 03:59:43 pm »

On embark it says by the tab thing what race it is if your on the page for choosing what food and things you want. Sorry if this has been already posted.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 04:29:58 pm »

only way is to have CIV_CONTROLLABLE  on 1 civ at a time.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 05:03:06 pm »

Not true. I tested this mehself.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 06:42:44 pm »

if there's multiple civs to choose from the game will only let one at a time. to "pick" whihc one you tab to the civilization list (names) and highlight a diferent civ then tab some more till you get a listing of the races, whatever is on the topmost spot is the able to be played race for the civ.

sorry if that's a bit confusing in syntax but in short it's: tab to civ -> tab to race/war -> repeat till get wanted race IF it exists in entities

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 07:19:36 pm »

if there's multiple civs to choose from the game will only let one at a time. to "pick" whihc one you tab to the civilization list (names) and highlight a diferent civ then tab some more till you get a listing of the races, whatever is on the topmost spot is the able to be played race for the civ.

sorry if that's a bit confusing in syntax but in short it's: tab to civ -> tab to race/war -> repeat till get wanted race IF it exists in entities

This.  The first race on the list of civilizations that have access to a particular location is the currently selected civilization.  It's a bit of a nuisance to keep tabbing through the various views until you find a civilization of the race you want, but not all that hard to manage.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Aeltar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 07:17:20 pm »

This.  The first race on the list of civilizations that have access to a particular location is the currently selected civilization.  It's a bit of a nuisance to keep tabbing through the various views until you find a civilization of the race you want, but not all that hard to manage.

That makes it MUCH easier, thanks guys.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 08:14:59 am »

then tab some more till you get a listing of the races, whatever is on the topmost spot is the able to be played race for the civ.
I somehow missed the fact that your civ is the topmost in the trading info display. Thanks for the tip!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 07:15:38 pm »

If the multiple controllable civs each have a different DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE you can tell which race the selected civ is by the symbol used to display it's area on the map.

For the vanilla civs:
Dwarves - CAVE_DETAILED - Ω
Elves   - TREE_CITY     - î
Humans  - CITY          - #
Goblins - DARK_FORTRESS - Π
Kobolds - CAVE          - no symbol
        - RUIN          - μ

Don't know if CAVE not using ● is intentional. I've seen humans using symbols in addition to # when they've conquered other civs. Those conquered civs may still be in the list but won't show on the map when selected.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.