Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: FlareChannel 538 - updated Dec 14, IMAGE HEAVY  (Read 161197 times)

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FlareChannel 513 (likely final version)
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 10:08:58 am »

Truly inspiring.

I myself have accomplished a great deal in fortage, but nowhere near this Quantum.

Thank you.

Anyone have a guess when the next version will be out? I would like to begin work on this large of a project, however I'm hesitant to.

Also quantum, I'm wondering, how big is the map? The dimensions of the starting area would be very helpful, I have a habit of using the max possible to see how big a fortress I can create, which is fine in the beginning (I have a decent comp, it runs at 80 fps or so with these max dimensions) but as soon as I start actually developing the land it grinds to a quick halt.
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 12:24:39 pm »

Thank you for sharing this with us.  The amount of work that you put into this fortress is absolutely amazing.  It also demonstrates that the simulation is stable enough to go through a couple of centuries and several generations, if the player is patient enough. 

I am still at the stage of rushing off to try Yet Another Neat-Sounding Site, and have only begun to get ideas for projects.  It doesn't help that I keep being tempted by mods.

This is truly a wonderful game, and you have truly done wonders with it in building this fortress.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 01:45:46 pm »

Also quantum, I'm wondering, how big is the map? The dimensions of the starting area would be very helpful, I have a habit of using the max possible to see how big a fortress I can create, which is fine in the beginning (I have a decent comp, it runs at 80 fps or so with these max dimensions) but as soon as I start actually developing the land it grinds to a quick halt.

My fortress is on a 6x6 location, and I could fit everything I have on a 5x5, or close to it. If I could go back and change it, I would gladly trade some horizontal growth for vertical growth combined with improved FPS.

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 04:56:37 pm »

Thanks for the info.

I'm the opposite in that I always end up building a massive tower, so horizontal growth is intriguing to me.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 05:13:06 pm »

Well it's almost certainly less efficient, but I'd think the change of pace from one to the other would be healthy. Before I started Flarechannel I had always considered towers to be pretty darn awesome, so when I ended up spreading out it sort of forced me to think up new ways to be creative, or to mix old ideas with new ones (hence why a lot of wide things are still somewhat tower-ish). So give it a try, it'll be fun. Worst case, it'll give you a few ideas to try when you go back to building another tower fort.

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2009, 05:20:34 pm »

My current plan is to carve out an obsidian fortress from a massive lava field I am building.

Then I shall combine 6 superprojects:

Massive walls (with functioning lava towers)
Fountain/Gardens (Mist + Treefarm)
Farmworks (Enough to easily feed my populace and export my excess)
Stables (enough to house my animal population...those that are worthy)
Astronomy Tower (Dunno what I'll use this for really, should be fun though. Maybe it could house the nobles)
Underground Necropolis (I'm thinking of making this a perfect shadow of the fortress above it)

This should keep me busy for a while.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2009, 05:27:43 pm »

Sounds pretty awesome. I've always wanted to try an obsidian-cast fortress. I'm also a fan of ridiculous projects like astronomy towers and the like - somehow having something with no practical use whatsoever adds a nice flavor to maps : D
Good luck, and be sure to let us see when you have some progress!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2009, 05:35:28 pm »

Something I'm curious about... where are the actual functional components of Flarechannels? Underground?

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2009, 05:48:32 pm »

All the workshops are currently either below the inner keep floor (green, yellow, and blue tiled floor), or in the gray rectangular building to the south of the fortress (right hand side of overhead screenshot). It's a little ambiguous what's above and below ground... I suppose I would say they are mostly on the 'ground floor', a few levels below what you can see. If you check out the dfma map, you can probably see things better than I can describe them.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2009, 06:39:55 am »

Ho.

Ly.

Crap.
:o :o :o :o :o
*inspired, creates new smiley just for this*

Also, I never did anything I couldn't undo (within reason). All my lakes have drainage valves, same with the magma. So theoretically, I could still pull off a major overhaul if needed, which is good to know though it will never happen.

I'm not the only one who puts in emergency stop systems! I knew it!
I do half the time. The other half ha'e easily snagged axles from the power.

It's the manual-pumping ones that kill me.
Flarechannel = Copperblazes 3D

re: obsidian casting
Do it in sections, or plan your liquid sourcing carefully. Evaporation can be a problem  when you get beyond about a thousand large.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2009, 11:02:02 am »

No one else is going to mention the epic Catten story?

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2009, 12:07:10 pm »

I just read the Catten story, and I must say that I was absolutely floored by it.

May Catten and his friend rest in peace in the halls of his fathers until the day that Armok frees the dead from their graves.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2009, 02:41:44 pm »

Alas that they will not engrave thislegend.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

MrLobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2009, 04:48:36 pm »

Wow, I can see why people are moved to superlatives. What an impressive fortress, and I do really like the Catten and Eagle story.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2009, 06:13:32 pm »

Thanks for the input everyone

I really have no idea how so many odd things happened with Catten. I've never seen a tamed wild animal "adopt" a dwarf who didn't like them. I have also never seen clothes (and a block) magically appear on a roof that has no access. The fact that Catten seems to be the center of all this (which I didn't even realize until I looked back through my screenshots)  just makes things weirder.

Also, the giant eagle on top of the glass dome was completely unrestrained, no rope or chain. He would occasionally move a few blocks, but always returned to the center. No meeting area there, or anything that would explain it...

It all seems too unlikely to be a coincidence, which the logical side of me says it must be.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11