Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: FlareChannel 538 - updated Dec 14, IMAGE HEAVY  (Read 161199 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: FlareChannel 513 (likely final version)
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2009, 11:33:43 pm »

Flarechannel = Copperblazes 3D
I second this!
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2009, 11:51:46 pm »

Wow. This is just amazing. I never thought that anyone could stick with one fort for so long. Your dedication is inspiring.

Hey, you're from Tucson? Me too! It's cool to think that there is such an awesome DF fan is within 25 miles of me. You go to the U of A?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Zruku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2009, 01:05:29 am »

Would you mid posting the worldgen parameters? Seems like a very nice place to embark.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2009, 05:01:10 am »

I would be happy too. The site has HFS and a second bottomless pit I haven't uncovered yet. Contact with 2 elves (argg), goblin, and human. However, as of earlier this afternoon, my computer is completely dead, which means until I replace the parts there isn't much I can do.

Hey, you're from Tucson? Me too! It's cool to think that there is such an awesome DF fan is within 25 miles of me. You go to the U of A?

Yeah, going to the U of A until December, or maybe May. Depending on if I can get a job. You going to / considering it?
I know a few other Tucson DF players - maybe if we get some more coming fourth from the forums a Tucson meet-up will be in order.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2009, 06:26:01 am »

Does the corpse built into the walls have a name?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2009, 10:28:40 am »

Wow. This is just amazing. I never thought that anyone could stick with one fort for so long. Your dedication is inspiring.

The amount of AZ dwarfers is just creepy.

Raised in Prescott, going to NAU right now.
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2009, 11:24:53 am »

Well, I didn't think DF was a game that could be won, but you just won it.

I can't even dream of doing something that epic, partly for lack of dedication and partly because my computer would plummet to 2-3 FPS wayyyyyyy before I manage to get even a third of a project that size done.

Also, I remember seeing it in the visual fortress thread and the Temple of Armok was under construction. I thought you were going to add a dome? Did you just scrap that idea? I'd really like to see a dome, although designating and building it would be incredibly tedious and I'm not sure how it would look in VF.

Either way, that's still officially the most awesome thing ever done in DF. It needs to be chronicled in the history books along with Boatmurdered and all the rest. Did you keep track of any other interesting stories that happened along the way?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2009, 01:26:13 pm »

Yeah, going to the U of A until December, or maybe May. Depending on if I can get a job. You going to / considering it?
I know a few other Tucson DF players - maybe if we get some more coming fourth from the forums a Tucson meet-up will be in order.

Maybe. The U of A isn't on (or near) the top of my list, but it's still a possibility. I applied a while ago and was accepted, but I still don't feel incredibly enthusiastic about going there. My goals lie out of state, but if money turns out to be an issue I'll probably go to NAU instead. Or Pima. *shudders*

A Tucson dwarf meeting would be nothing short of awesome. I would want to show up, but it would depend on how permissive my homework schedule was. PM me if you decide to organize something like that.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 01:33:15 pm by Lord Dakoth »
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2009, 01:28:42 pm »

Maybe. The U of A isn't on (or near) the top of my list, but it's still a possibility. I applied a while ago and was accepted, but I still don't feel incredibly enthusiastic about going there. My goals lie out of state, but if money turns out to be an issue I'll probably go to NAU instead. Or Pima. *shudders*

A Tucson dwarf meeting would be nothing short of awesome. I would want to show up, but it would depend on how permissive my homework schedule was. PM me if you decide to organize something like that.

That would be awesome. I would show up if I could. But it would have to be

NAU's pretty awesome so far.
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2009, 12:22:04 am »

I scrapped the dome idea because of the sheer amount of stones required. I'm still letting the fortress run through some stuff, so if I end up mining enough gold I may be able to post the 3-D version. It probably won't be a full dome, but the sun, rays, and planets will be domed. I may add the skeleton of a dome in some sense, if I think it won't detract from the view of the sun mosaic, which is iffy.

Also, I second NAU as a pretty swell place. Much better city than Tucson, if you don't mind the cold. I've lived in both, and have hugely fond childhood memories of Flagstaff. Ahhhh, sentimentality.

hitto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2009, 12:57:57 pm »

Your fortress is awesome... I eagerly wait for your savegame!  :)

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2009, 08:05:11 am »

Also, the giant eagle on top of the glass dome was completely unrestrained, no rope or chain. He would occasionally move a few blocks, but always returned to the center.

There was thread I recently read about draining the ocean to trap some walruses, which occurred because the walrus family found their way to the bottom of the sea and stayed there. It sounds like the eagle is running the same code, but standing in the highest place instead of the lowest. (Local maxima, at least.)

The rest I don't know anything about, though.
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2009, 08:53:39 am »

Also, the giant eagle on top of the glass dome was completely unrestrained, no rope or chain. He would occasionally move a few blocks, but always returned to the center.

There was thread I recently read about draining the ocean to trap some walruses, which occurred because the walrus family found their way to the bottom of the sea and stayed there. It sounds like the eagle is running the same code, but standing in the highest place instead of the lowest. (Local maxima, at least.)

The rest I don't know anything about, though.

I think that creatures and even dwarves like to stick around places that they spend a lot of time at, unless they have to be somewhere else.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2009, 02:54:46 pm »

This fortress is awesome, there just is no other word for it.  ;D

I'm going to try to build something remotely similar, as in a giant city on two mountains and a lake.
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2009, 05:00:20 pm »

Why hello there thread bump!
Guess it's time to offload some updates.

First off, thanks for the posts everyone, and definitely try to make something amazing yourself. Many parts of my fort are directly inspired by the fortresses of others from DFMA and the old 3-D thread, so if I can pass on that inspiration then I suppose that's kinda some sort of awesome Dwarf Fortress evolution or something.

So, first for stats!
Year: 538 (237)

Stone blocks: 260,000

Artifacts: 123 - so it turns out that my strange moods had NOT been bugged. The way it works is that in order to satisfy one of the requirements for strange mood, you have to reveal tiles through mining. However, this does not work on tiles within game squares that start partially revealed (game squares being the 48x48 breakdown of the playing area). So this means that if you spend your time mining out mountain tops (which, in Flarechannel, start with part of their 48x48 square revealed), then that mining does not count toward strange mood requirements. Once I started digging underground again, strange moods have returned (over 100 year lapse) without pause.

Children
Duchess - Kel Regabod with 31 children so far
Second place - Zasit Bomrekmemad with 27 children

Kills
Muthkat Dostobled Eshom Nin - Died of old age with 409 notable kills, including two dragons and two titans.
Second place - Ducim Zoluthdumat Zonendok Shizek with 342 notable kills, including 2 dragons, still alive

Pictures!
Duchess
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fortress wealth

Close to completion Decoration Tower/Magma-Water Tower, and Spa.

The first 20% of the Catacombs

There is still a fair chance I will finish the current aspirations of Flarechannel, since in the one and a half months since the last update I've gotten about 20-25% done with the current project. But it's not looking as gloomy as it used to, and generally it's remained pretty fun to work on this as it doesn't take up near as much time as it used to. The framerate of 5-6 when I start digging has pretty much forced me to let DF run without interference for long periods of time, so now I spend most of my time just unpausing the occasional auto-pause while doing other stuff.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11