Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: FlareChannel 538 - updated Dec 14, IMAGE HEAVY  (Read 162025 times)

Mister Six

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: FlareChannel 538 - updated Dec 14, IMAGE HEAVY
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2009, 06:53:06 pm »

Just saw this for the first time and it's easily the most impressive thing I've seen, in dwarf fortress or otherwise.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2009, 02:35:59 am »

It's good to hear of your progress. A mighty fort indeed!

Have you had any of the kidnapped children turn up in goblin sieges?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2009, 04:59:33 am »

Sadly no, and sieges are kinda broken at the moment anyway. Unless the goblin squad has an elf leader (or named leader), they will sit at the edge of the map doing nothing until I send around a champion to clean them up. They still fight back, but without backup they are pretty much screwed. There hasn't been a variation on this for a long time, so I would welcome changes, even if it involves sending some of the duchess' children to kill their siblings.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2009, 05:28:56 am »

You could strengthen the goblins via size/damblock and give them fire breath to make them more interesting individually...

Another problem might be that they cannot path to any significant area. You may want to leave the gates ajar when they first come so that they start moving, and only then close them off.

Finally, they might be attempting to path to something unreachable; I once heard of a goblin squad failing to move because they were riveted by a cat that had fallen into a nearby pothole.

...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2009, 05:48:05 am »

How much can you mod things before you have to start a new world? I know some things like 'all economic' mod won't work until I start a new world, but I might very well beef up goblins at some point in the future if I finish things.

Also, there is probably something going on with the goblins like what you mentioned, but I'm not sure what it is. I should do some more looking. I think I always have open pathways to anywhere in my fort where I have creatures, unless they happen to target one of my tame giant eagles when it's flying in the air. I'm really not sure how that all works. I also might have locked doors around somewhere that are throwing the goblins off. Worth a check, for sure.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2009, 06:22:55 am »

Modding for size, damblock, and fire breath doesn't require a regen - changing the attributes of a creature doesn't require a new world.

About the giant eagles, maybe they see the giant eagles and attempt to attack them? You could try creating a back-up save, modding giant eagles not to fly in that one by removing the [flier] tag, and seeing if the goblins are still broken during the next siege.

When you say squads led by elves and local leaders work, I question the correlation. Considering that your fort is ancient, I assume beings from world gen (like kidnapped elves and leaders) must have long been exhausted, meaning that for the past 100 years you have probably been besieged exclusively by goblins generated from scratch for the sheer purpose of attacking your map. Thus, the pathfinding issue might be due to something that changed recently, as opposed to being related to the racial/social status of squad leaders.

Finally, in your latest update you say that you only perform manual unpausing on Dwarf Fortress. In that case, you might consider getting Dtil, which has an automatic unpause feature, meaning that you can leave your fortress on total automatic, should you choose to.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2009, 01:50:53 pm »

Yeah, I keep meaning to download that utility, but it's always slightly easier to put it off. I'll probably get it next time I am at work to try it out.

And as for the goblin sieges, it's honestly far more likely I'm mistaken about what's happening than "strange and unheard of new bug!!!". Luckily I have seasonal saves for as long as Flarechannel has been alive, so eventually I'll upload some of them to see if people can see what's really happening with the goblin sieges, and the whole Catten/Eagle thing.

Thanks for the advice!

Edit: another bug that seems related is one of my champions has set his own station point. No matter where I set his "real" station, he only is willing to guard a single point. Luckily, it's in the middle of one of my entrances, but still - don't quite know what to do about it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 02:20:49 pm by QuantumSawdust »

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2009, 09:18:06 am »

This map is epic.

Just curious: What tileset are you using?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2009, 11:08:19 am »

Edit: another bug that seems related is one of my champions has set his own station point. No matter where I set his "real" station, he only is willing to guard a single point. Luckily, it's in the middle of one of my entrances, but still - don't quite know what to do about it.

Is he in a squad with other dwarves? If so, try putting him into his own squad - for some odd reason, squad Stations are applied to all squad members, but Patrol routes are applied only to the leader and will not persist (and not transfer) if somebody else becomes leader, causing them to continue patrolling until you promote them to leader and cancel the route.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2009, 11:47:06 am »

Hmmm, can't be that, I never have set up multi-person squads, and I don't use patrol routes either.

Just curious: What tileset are you using?
I am using Mayday's, though I have edited the colors a bit in the recent screenshots

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2009, 02:00:32 pm »

Strangely enough, when I experienced similar problems to you, deleting patrol routes sometimes works although I too never use them. The squad system in this version is just plain full of bugs, and can make you feel powerless at times.

M.R. Siegal

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2009, 03:23:44 pm »

True, in my last fortress I had three champions bug out on me.  Any time they were activated, regardless of what unit they were in, what the station point was, whether they were squad leader or not, regardless of anything, they immediately when to my cage stockpile and stayed there.  My best guess is that they were stationed to a spot on a floor that no longer exists.  The cage stockpile is right next to my drowning chamber and I was experimenting with fall heights, so I was building and removing floors for a while.  I may have activated them to go in and kill something that didn't want to drown, and later removed that floor before they could properly path there.

I didn't bother experimenting with that idea by building a floor or anything, I just stuck them in their own squad on permanent standdown duty and put any new recruits in there for sparring purposes.  The sick part of me likes to think they got PTSD and whenever activated they went to hide among the cages, rocking back and forth, muttering things about elves.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2009, 08:47:55 pm »

Sweet! The next siege came around and deleting his patrol point worked perfectly. Score, thanks for the tip

herpderp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2009, 01:36:03 pm »

I want this map! Post seed/parameters?!

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2009, 01:52:05 pm »

I assume this is everything you need. The map size is a bit big though if you are looking to have everything in a small area.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11