Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: FlareChannel 538 - updated Dec 14, IMAGE HEAVY  (Read 161204 times)

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FlareChannel 538 - updated Dec 14, IMAGE HEAVY
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:19:04 am »

Update post at:
FlareChannel 538

Updated overview from year 571 at
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So I have reached the point in FlareChannel I told myself I would since the last time I posted. Basically, the completion of the 3 primary mega-projects I had started. I decided to make a thread since the chances of me making it to the next release of FlareChannel are honestly pretty low, especially considering what I plan to finish off with. I figured this way I could be sure to get all the stories recorded before I lost interest and forgot. It's been a lot of fun working on this fort, and have had some really interesting times (with oddly confusing happenings here and there, that I simply can not explain.)

Fortress Year - 213
Longest goblin launch - 162 spaces (hammer blow)
Constructed blocks used in buildings - 235,000 +
250 dead
124 living
15,000,000 + wealth
Average FPS - 10
Artifacts Created - 89

Map on DFMA
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7268-flarechannel

Save game from Flarechannel year 500 (this one starts centered on Catten and the Eagle)
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1749

Save game from Flarechannel year 557 (most overland constructions finished)
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1817

3D Fortress Pictures

Some stats, stock screens

Unexplained war with the Elves

Dwarves are always mortal, victim to their "own" poor planning. They are also weird, as to be expected.

The Fable of Catten and Eagle
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 09:31:01 pm by QuantumSawdust »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FlareChannel 513 (likely final version)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 09:25:53 am »

So, is your fort over 200 years old???

Anyways, I think you misposted and this needs to go in DF stories. Hell, this should go in the hall of legends as the children of the first children are either no longer alive or quite old.

Edit: Maternal grandfather and cousins? Whoa, your fort must be pretty ancient.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 10:31:58 am »

Congratulations on reaching this milestone!

I myself have tried several times to build something on the scale of FlareChannel, but the fps and boredom always got me. How did you carry on for a year and a half at 10 fps?

Considering the rare metals you used, you must have either been blessed by the mountain or been very patient and farsighted with traders, or both. Given your fort is 200 years old, I imagine your human and dwarven liaisons must have died of old age as well.

This makes me wonder how much planning of structures you did beforehand. It also must have been agony to designate the circles in the Temple, although I imagine macros would have eased the process.

I also notice that the baby in the family example post is descended from a Duke and a Tax Collector...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 10:34:42 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 11:24:43 am »

The FPS really got bad about 8 months in, before that it was fully bearable. Now I'm just used to seeing dwarves move slowly, makes it feel more "real time", in an odd pseudo-physics kind of sense.
I also only request metal bars from human traders, so they bring close to 4 bars of all the good stuff each year. I also melt down anything I can from dwarven caravans. That, combined with all the mining (which gives me mostly copper and gold) and I have pretty good stockpiles.

I lost my dwarven liason with the arrival of my Queen (long dead), but the human liason appears immortal. When I started an adventurer to see if towns were barren, all humans were still alive as well, so I suppose that isn't implemented yet.

Surprisingly little planning goes on. I try to make sure I have enough room to fit things in if I need to, but most of what I did was decide on a megaproject, then look around the fort and kind of eyeball where it would best fit in among everything else. Occasionally you can see the base for future constructions, like in the Inner Keep.

Also, no macros were used, it was all by hand. Though there are enough circles in the fortress to give me a pretty intuitive sense of how to make them now. When you have 2-3 megaprojects going at the same time, it's less agonizing to add on to circles one block at a time for one of them.

Also, I wasn't quite sure if this was the right forum. I've seen one or two fortresses posted here in the past, but I only rarely venture over to Community Games and Stories so that may very well be a better place. If people seem to agree, I'll happily move it.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 11:58:18 am »

This is just too pretty for words. I'll see what i can muster up though.

Seeing the before and after shots, and knowing that you spent 200+ years on it; all I can say is simply this: "Ho-ly crap!". I mean, the land is still recognizable, despite a massive kingdom built on top of it, and a great chunk of land removed. I also love the fact that each building is a dedicated project in themselves. BTW, gotta love the apartments with their balconies.

It looks beautiful in VisFort. I can't wait til' more stuff is visible (coffers, cabinets, workshops, trade depot/shop; as well as engraved walls and floors).

I want to be able to pull this kind of stuff off. Got any tips for those of us inspired? Any tips on defense when working on projects like these?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 01:59:19 pm by Itnetlolor »

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 12:27:52 pm »

Ho.

Ly.

Crap.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 12:37:51 pm »

Wow, so Flarechannel is finally complete? Wow, that's amazing...
I'm surprised though that your fort is "only" at 15 million, but I suppose that's because you haven't had the fortune of being able to engrave anything :p

Still, one of the most incredible forts ever, I congratulate you for seeing it completed.
Not many get to the point where they can call their fort complete :)
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 12:48:58 pm »

Flip that fort is ballz.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 01:35:56 pm »

Truly incredible man. Brav-fucking-o!
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 01:51:46 pm »

Yea, this is the kind of thing where you wish that the fort would live on after abandoning it. I mean, a 200+ year old fortress doesn't just vanish, you have the generations there, entire histories. Hell.....

This thing should go in the same ranks as Boatmurdered, simply legendary.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 01:59:44 pm »

BTW, any plans on uploading a save? I'd like to take a Dwarf's-Eye tour of the place myself in VisFort.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 02:13:48 pm »

This is easily the most impressive fortress I've ever seen. I'd take a stab that it's probably the most impressive fortress anyone has ever built.

How does it feel to have created a legendary fortress?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 02:51:09 pm »

Oh wow. 200 in-game years of the fort?

How long did this take you, real-time?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 02:58:51 pm »

Darkflagrance said over a year and a half, so.... yea...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 02:59:36 pm »

This is amazing.  I am impressed and intimidated.  I know the megaconstruction-fortress I am working on will never be this as amazing, but I am still inspired to complete it best as I can.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11