Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Resolved]Dwarves refuse to work  (Read 1439 times)

Zalaeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Resolved]Dwarves refuse to work
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:36:38 pm »

Hey

Well, I am making a fortress and I have about 42 dwarves now. However I encounter a problem, I have dwarves specifically designed to haul items about, clean and do these kind of tasks, "peasants", and even though they still have tons of rock to haul onto my rock pile, have stuff to clean etc. They appear as idle and just do nothing. It suddently started happening for no special reason. Is there anything I can do about it?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 01:00:04 pm by Zalaeth »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves refuse to work
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 10:02:33 pm »

Is your rock pile full?  Is hauling turned on in the (o)rders menu?  Did you accidentally turn on the "Dwarves stay inside" order?

The cleaning labor is a little bit quirky at present.

Zalaeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 07:45:31 am »

No, my rock pile is not full at all, yes hauling is turned on, and no, I didn't give that order. I've used dwarf therapist, I doubt it matters since I did check if hauling was on on the game. I've also noticed that even before that "bug" happens, certain dwarves, as example masons, would tell me they don't have stones to build their door, but I had plenty. Maybe they don't consider material that is too far away?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 09:36:31 am »

Are the stones forbidden? Are they accessible? Are they marked as unusable from the Stones menu off of the 'z' status screen? Your craftsdwarves will use any stone they can access, regardless of how far it is. Try activating a dwarf and stationing him/her on the stones you want hauled, and then stationing him/her on the stockpile. If they can't make it to one or the other destination, then you have an accessibility problem.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Zalaeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 03:21:41 pm »

Nothing is forbidden, everything is accessible, they used to transports the stones on the stonepile, and they suddently stopped doing it and wen't idle, without me changing anything. I didn't continue playing so I suppose I could send you my game and someone could see for himself what is happening.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 03:25:19 pm »

Yeah, go ahead and upload a zip file containing the relevant region folder (from /data/save) to the DF File Depot.  If you're using any mods, upload your raws folder as well (just throw it in the same zip file).  I probably won't get a chance to look at it until early tomorrow morning, if then.

Zalaeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 04:11:30 pm »

Here's the download link :

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1513
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 04:24:24 pm by Zalaeth »

Zalaeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 08:32:48 am »

Someone..? It's a pretty big bug and I can't continue playing my fortress because of it..can't someone just look at it?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 08:49:55 am »

One oddity I just noticed is that you have cave-ins disabled, so when I loaded your save a bunch of floating floors crashed down and squished a few dwarves.

The lack of stone hauling jobs seems to be due to the massive number of construction jobs you have queued up - I'm guessing that all of the stones your dwarves don't want to move are, in fact, the ones tasked for construction of the floors and roofs of all of your buildings. If you want them to get to work, enable Masonry on them for a while.

Also, I'd highly recommend that you start building bedrooms for your dwarves somewhere, if only in a barracks, or you're going to lose them all to a tantrum spiral.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 08:55:43 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Zalaeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 08:55:59 am »

Oh I had disabled cave ins because my dwarves would cave themselves in and die when I made them dig ramps one level below, it was pretty annoying. I was gonna build beds very soon, but I wanted to clear all that rock before digging more, so that I could make farms that don't have rocks on them. But the stones that the dwarves won't move are surely not all tasked, the masons very often task the ones that are in my stonepile, if not always, since it is closer in term of distance.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 09:45:42 am »

Stones are tasked the instant you designate a construction for building, so if those stones were the closest at the time, they would've been tasked.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Zalaeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 09:47:47 am »

There were already tons of stones in the stockpile when I designated the constructions, though.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 10:26:01 am »

Still, try enabling masonry on all of your haulers and seeing which stones they use to make those constructions.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Zalaeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 11:10:16 am »

I can try but..since the current masons take all their stones from the stonepile, since it's closer than the spread stones, I doubt it will do much.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 11:37:22 am »

Another thing to look at is whether construction was suspended on those walls, because then the rocks will never be moved.  This happens to me a lot because I have 20 masons working on a castle, and every time a siege starts and I set orders to get them inside, I have 20 new suspended walls.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils
Pages: [1] 2