Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [INTELLIGENT] pets act as Civilization Members  (Read 10367 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[INTELLIGENT] pets act as Civilization Members
« on: October 22, 2009, 08:13:37 pm »

Whilst fiddling around with a Dark Goblin Fortress mod, I discovered something rather peculiar; Tame creatures with [CAN_SPEAK] and [CAN_LEARN] (or [INTELLIGENT]) that are brought along at Embark are treated almost the same as your Civilization members. This was tested with Beastmen, when given the [PET] tag, but the theory should apply to anything tame and intelligent.

• They will perform certain Labors they are enabled to do, such as Fishing, Conversation, or Hunting, though their current job always says "Tame".
       i. They can't construct buildings, or use workshops
  • When not working, they gather in Meeting Areas, at Parties, etc.
  • They can form relationships, but only with other Tame members of their species.
  • They require food and water, and will seek it out on their own.
  • They can be Pitted or Chained as with other animals.
  • If they are trained (or even partially trained) as War or Hunting creatures, they appear to be lobotomized, and lose their Sentience.
       i. They can no longer perform labors, and begin following their Trainer/Owner.
       ii. If their Owner dies, they stay put after performing whatever their last action was (usually drinking or eating).
       iii. They no longer form relationships or chat.
  • They can be assigned as Military units, and assigned equipment individually.
       i. They don't show up in the Military menu, and thus can't be given orders, or sorted into squads.
       ii. Once assigned, they can't be dismissed from Military Duty.
  • They can be appointed to an administrative position via the menu, but once the menu is closed the position will become Vacant.

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
Re: [INTELLIGENT] pets act as Civilization Members
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 08:23:24 pm »

Hmmm this would be useful for turning a bunch of my animals into water haulers for my bed ridden injured...

My main problem is the number of injured dwarfs I always have, it ties up my other dwarfs running water / food to them so they don't die (I defend my forts with an army not with cave-ins / magma = lots of injured).

Can you still butcher them by chance? I'll try and test it out later when I can play.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 08:47:04 pm »

Oh, yeah... they're still treated like all other animals, and can be butchered, chained, etc. I think it'd be interesting for simulating Slaves or Kidnapped Children or somesuch.

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 01:16:19 am »

That is very interesting. Lends some serious flavor to 'evil' civs, especially when playing them. Kudos on finding this out.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 03:52:15 am »

They also gain ranks in social skills.  I noticed this when I made an intelligent 'sentry drone' creature - they ended up resembling a Mr. Handy from Fallout, with ranks in Comedian and whatnot.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 01:01:30 pm »

Someone should make a nobility mod where playable race won't partake in the 'lesser' physical labors. Farming would probably still need to be the player race but things like...

Mining*, Woodcutting*, Plant Gathering, Fishing, and most Military could all be dependent on these pet creatures.

While the actual parent race is quite weak and small.

*Not entirely sure about these

Any idea if you can get the sentient creatures to be haulers?

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 02:51:19 pm »

I'd been trying to make tame knife wielding rhesus macaques for a while now, but this sounds like a much better idea.

Can you answer a few questions about the Beastmen for me:

1) Do only the original ones brought along at Embark behave as civilization members, or can their children/ Beastmen caught in the wild be treated as Civ members as well?

2) Do they need the [EQUIPS] tag to use items if you make them Military members, or will they do it automatically?

3) Can you assign them jobs, or does it just take you to the "This animal can't work, Ready for Slaughter (Y/N)" menu?

4) Can you post the Beastmen raws so that we can see the differences between them and other intelligent pet-creatures?

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 06:00:11 pm »

I think the key part is they have to have an associated entity file. Without an entity file my guys weren't gaining social skills but now they are. I still can't get them to fish or do anything useful though.

EDIT: Also how did you get them in the military? I couldn't figure out how to.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 06:38:12 pm by Slogo »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 07:13:13 am »

Their drinking seems to be a bit glitchy, actually. I just had three members of a sentient pet race dehydrate in my dining hall. Those three had arrived caged in a caravan. On the other hand, I had one arrive as a pet with a migrant, and it seems to function perfectly fine (though I don't see how to enable labors on them).
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 09:01:20 am »

I think the key part is they have to have an associated entity file. Without an entity file my guys weren't gaining social skills but now they are. I still can't get them to fish or do anything useful though.

EDIT: Also how did you get them in the military? I couldn't figure out how to.

Interesting note about the entity file. Is that how you did it Solifuge?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 09:35:08 am »

I'm not sure if the entity file is what's required: as I recall, someone once modded dogs to speak without an entity file, resulting in Legendary Comedian dogs regardless, but I could be wrong.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 10:33:17 am »

I think that they can't be adopted as a pet to someone in order to function (They start to behave like they were lobotomized). Also, they don't need entity definitions; as far as I can tell, the tags that do it are [CAN_LEARN], and possibly [CAN_SPEAK].

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 11:16:10 am »

I think that they can't be adopted as a pet to someone in order to function (They start to behave like they were lobotomized). Also, they don't need entity definitions; as far as I can tell, the tags that do it are [CAN_LEARN], and possibly [CAN_SPEAK].

I'm trying it out right now & have a creature with the [Intelligent] tag: they are gaining experience and talking to each other, but I can't figure out how to give them labors or assign them equipment or to the military. How did you do it? Was it from the "V" menu of the creature?

I keep having that problem where it asks if I want to slaughter them rather than give them any tasks.

[EDIT]

I tried using the "NOT_BUTCHERABLE" token to get rid of the slaughter problem, but it still didn't work. How in the world did you get them into the military? Mine won't even fish or gather chopped wood.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:44:55 am by bobsnewaddress »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 12:44:27 pm »

You know, this would be a good way to handle a lot of the problems that would come about from a starcraft mod - mainly those that apply to the zerg.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 01:52:53 am »

I've done this to make Kobold Slaves.

The best thing you can do is set them to no need to drink, because they'll only drink water, preferring fresh, running water, to the point of running out in a siege to a carp river and dying one way or the other.  Or they'll just sit and die that way.

Food they'll usually get for themselves, but it can be a bother, having more mouths to feed.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.
Pages: [1] 2 3