Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [INTELLIGENT] pets act as Civilization Members  (Read 10369 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: [INTELLIGENT] pets act as Civilization Members
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 02:16:11 am »

Yeah, I've given up getting them to drink and just added the no drink tag. Still can't figure out how to enable labors - though I know this is possible, because someone once posted a topic about a gremlin immigrant that hunted animals.

Also, my intelligent pet creatures can be traded by all civs, and it's fun to amass names from every culture in your site (including some modded trading ones).

Although if they are slaves, you are participating in the slave trade...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 09:53:26 am »

Yeah, I've given up getting them to drink and just added the no drink tag. Still can't figure out how to enable labors - though I know this is possible, because someone once posted a topic about a gremlin immigrant that hunted animals.

Ah I recall that one, but I think the situation was different than using it as a pet. I seem to recall that they tracked that back to gremlins living in the area of the founding civilization (and other people reported similar instances with other intelligent, non-civ creatures). So if you were to make a non-civ/non-entity race of friendly intelligent beings that live everywhere, [BIOME:ALL_MAIN] or [BIOME:ANY_LAND] combined with [POPULATION_NUMBER:5:10], you would eventually get them to spawn as an immigrant.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 12:39:50 pm »

Also, my intelligent pet creatures can be traded by all civs, and it's fun to amass names from every culture in your site (including some modded trading ones).

Although if they are slaves, you are participating in the slave trade...

I'm thinking that getting them into the Military might be somewhat more impossible than originally thought -- nothing I do allows me to assign them labors or draft them, it just keeps asking if I want to eat the damned things.

Sometimes I consider doing it out of spite.

Solifuge, could you post a screen-cap of some of your military pets, or at least their raws/the controlling entities raws? Maybe its because of some weird reaction.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 12:42:14 pm by bobsnewaddress »

ChocoHearts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 03:20:04 pm »

At the risk of sounding silly... could you use Dwarf Therapist to assign their labors? Just a thought.
Feeling dumb is just nature's way of telling you you're still learning.
Elfy McElf: We are here to hug trees and kill dwarves. And it's your fault we are all out of trees.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 03:29:02 pm »

No new info on how this worked then?

Damn.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 08:31:04 pm »

Been messing around with the Intelligent pets and have come across some BIZARRE stuff.

First I made Dwarves into Domestic Pets and Trainable. I embarked with 20 stray peasants.

1) Every Dwarf, pet or free, can't be assigned labors -- I can only ready them for slaughter. I also can't view their likes or dislikes -- even through the nobles menu.

2) Pet Dwarves can be assigned as nobles -- even War or Hunting Dwarves can be made into Sheriffs and Bookkeepers.

3) Pet Dwarves can be drafted and undrafted from the military. They will wear appropriate armor and use appropriate weapons.

4) Pet Dwarves will gather chopped wood/stone/move goods around.

This is really strange. I'm going to try embarking with pet Gnomes and see if I can draft them or get them to gather stuff, because I haven't had any luck with them in the past.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 08:35:21 pm »

We might get more progress on this if everyone whose working on it posted the raws they have and the results those get them. 

Also, it might be possible that it's having the "slavery is okay" ethic that is causing the OP's situation, just as my 2 cents.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 09:53:39 pm »

I've done this to make Kobold Slaves.

The best thing you can do is set them to no need to drink, because they'll only drink water, preferring fresh, running water, to the point of running out in a siege to a carp river and dying one way or the other.  Or they'll just sit and die that way.

Food they'll usually get for themselves, but it can be a bother, having more mouths to feed.

How would you add a 'subrace' of kobold slaves to do this? How would you make them, specifically, have the [PET] and [INTELLIGENT] tags, when other kobolds don't?

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 09:55:54 pm »

We might get more progress on this if everyone whose working on it posted the raws they have and the results those get them. 

Also, it might be possible that it's having the "slavery is okay" ethic that is causing the OP's situation, just as my 2 cents.

I'm game.

Here's how I made Dwarves who are Pets to other Dwarves. I used the [PET] and [trAINABLE] tags as well as making them roaming and giving them the Mountain biome. So far I haven't encountered a wild dwarf, but I'm hoping that I can.

[CREATURE:DWARF]
   [NAME:dwarf:dwarves:dwarven]
   [TILE:1][COLOR:3:0:0]
   [GENPOWER:3]
   [BIOME:ANY_LAND]
   [BIOME:MOUNTAIN]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:10:20]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [COMMON_DOMESTIC][trAINABLE][PET]
   [LARGE_ROAMING]
   [trANCES]
   [BENIGN]
   [CANOPENDOORS]
   [PREFSTRING:beards]
   [BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH]
   [STOUT]
   [MAXAGE:150:170]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP:punch:punches:1:2:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
   [ATTACK:SECOND:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:1:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
   [CHILD:12][BABY:1][MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
   [DAMBLOCK:1]
   [FAT:3]
   [SIZE:6]
   [EQUIPS]
   [CAVE_ADAPT]
   [DIURNAL]
   [CRAFTSMAN_NAME:craftsdwarf:craftsdwarves]
   [FISHERMAN_NAME:fisherdwarf:fisherdwarves]
   [HAMMERMAN_NAME:hammerdwarf:hammerdwarves]
   [SPEARMAN_NAME:speardwarf:speardwarves]
   [CROSSBOWMAN_NAME:marksdwarf:marksdwarves]
   [AXEMAN_NAME:axedwarf:axedwarves]
   [SWORDSMAN_NAME:swordsdwarf:swordsdwarves]
   [MACEMAN_NAME:macedwarf:macedwarves]
   [PIKEMAN_NAME:pikedwarf:pikedwarves]
   [BOWMAN_NAME:bowdwarf:bowdwarves]
   [SPEECH:dwarf.txt]
   [STANDARD_FLESH]
   [HOMEOTHERM:10067]
   [LAYERING:50]
   [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
   [SWIMS_LEARNED][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
   [PERSONALITY:IMMODERATION:0:55:100]
   [PERSONALITY:VULNERABILITY:0:45:100]
   [PERSONALITY:STRAIGHTFORWARDNESS:0:55:100]

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 10:10:06 pm »

How would you add a 'subrace' of kobold slaves to do this? How would you make them, specifically, have the [PET] and [INTELLIGENT] tags, when other kobolds don't?

I already did this when I was playing as kobolds-- I called them Brownies and put them in the Domestic Animal file.

They just stood around talking, they wouldn't gather wood & I couldn't assign them to the military. I was able to assign the Pet Dwarves to the military, but it also caused all dwarves to be counted as Animals.

I haven't been able to duplicate the OP's feat of having a Non-Civ Intelligent Pet species that can be drafted and does hauling work. I'm hoping that we can figure out what exactly makes it possible to have Dwarves with intelligent Lizardmen pets or Antman Soldiers who can guard your fort or War Kobolds.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2009, 11:21:45 pm »

It's not the ethic. My civ already has Slavey:Acceptable, and the intelli-pets still cannot be assigned labors.

It's getting annoying as I can't cage them, or they'll starve, so they breed all over the dining room floor.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 03:49:37 am »

I figured out that this could be done ages ago and explored it a little back then with the same objective in mind as pretty much everyone else in the thread, and didn't find much.

When it comes to putting faux-civvers into the military, in addition to them not showing up on the menu, I also had trouble assigning orders for them via the squad hotkey, making them pretty much useless in that position (moreso than normal, perhaps).

I've never got faux-civvers to haul things, or perform any labours, and that's entirely independant of civ ethics (which stand for virtually nothing in the game's current state anyway).

My current hypothesis is that the faux-civvers don't behave properly because they're of a seperate creature entry to the player civ - this may be a related issue to what happens when the player civ's ruler is of another race and is marked "friendly" instead of as part of said player civ when visiting.

@bobsnewaddress: Remember that so long as you've made a sepeate entry for the faux-civvers, the game will correctly consider them to be an entirely different entity, regardless of how similar or different they are to the player civ. You'd probably get a similar result if you gave dragons [GRASP] and did that to them.

Here's another idea: Copy the MOUNTAIN entity entry, give the copy a new ID, make it non-controllable, and take away all of its alignment spheres, replacing them with [SPHERE:WAR:18000].  Now open the dwarf creature entry and give it [PET] and possibly [trAINABLE]. Start game, make sure you're at war with nonplayer dwarf civ, wait for civ to seige, capture/tame nonplayer dwarfs, shit bricks.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 10:00:25 am »

I figured out that this could be done ages ago and explored it a little back then with the same objective in mind as pretty much everyone else in the thread, and didn't find much.

When it comes to putting faux-civvers into the military, in addition to them not showing up on the menu, I also had trouble assigning orders for them via the squad hotkey, making them pretty much useless in that position (moreso than normal, perhaps).

I've never got faux-civvers to haul things, or perform any labours, and that's entirely independant of civ ethics (which stand for virtually nothing in the game's current state anyway).

My current hypothesis is that the faux-civvers don't behave properly because they're of a seperate creature entry to the player civ - this may be a related issue to what happens when the player civ's ruler is of another race and is marked "friendly" instead of as part of said player civ when visiting.

@bobsnewaddress: Remember that so long as you've made a sepeate entry for the faux-civvers, the game will correctly consider them to be an entirely different entity, regardless of how similar or different they are to the player civ. You'd probably get a similar result if you gave dragons [GRASP] and did that to them.

Here's another idea: Copy the MOUNTAIN entity entry, give the copy a new ID, make it non-controllable, and take away all of its alignment spheres, replacing them with [SPHERE:WAR:18000].  Now open the dwarf creature entry and give it [PET] and possibly [trAINABLE]. Start game, make sure you're at war with nonplayer dwarf civ, wait for civ to seige, capture/tame nonplayer dwarfs, shit bricks.

That only works if you use Dwarf Companion or another utility to remove the INVADER status from them.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2009, 10:14:45 am »

Darkflagrance is right, you can't make pets out of INVADER tagged creatures -- I learned that when I tried to first tame kobolds.

How did you put faux-civvers in the military in the first place is the real question to me: so far I can't do it with any of the non-civ Intelligent pets I've tried, the only kind of success I had was turning Dwarves into Domestic Animals, but that makes all Dwarves count as pets and NONE of them can be given labors.

How did the OP create pets that Fish or Hunt and can also be given military duties?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2009, 11:30:46 am »

I have a method of getting around the first problem: capture pregnant females and let them give birth in captivity, then tame the newborns (something I accidentally learnt from the Dark Dwarves mod when capturing invaders). At least, that's the way I thought it worked...

As for the second issue, you can enable the default squad via one of the menus (v -> p -> A).
Pages: 1 [2] 3