Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [INTELLIGENT] pets act as Civilization Members  (Read 10368 times)

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [INTELLIGENT] pets act as Civilization Members
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2009, 01:17:08 pm »

I have a method of getting around the first problem: capture pregnant females and let them give birth in captivity, then tame the newborns (something I accidentally learnt from the Dark Dwarves mod when capturing invaders). At least, that's the way I thought it worked...

As for the second issue, you can enable the default squad via one of the menus (v -> p -> A).

Will it enable the default squad of just one guy, or can you see them on the military menu? So far whenever I've gone to Draft a guy it shows me the default "Slaughter this Animal (Y/N)"

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2009, 01:26:52 pm »

As I said in my earlier post, they never show up on the menu, and don't seem to obey orders very well either. And yes, the squad will be made up of nothing more than that one creature, and you'll be unable to make it any larger.

Not sure about the other bit. Chances are your creatures are set up slightly differently to the way mine were.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2009, 01:42:15 pm »

As I said in my earlier post, they never show up on the menu, and don't seem to obey orders very well either. And yes, the squad will be made up of nothing more than that one creature, and you'll be unable to make it any larger.

Not sure about the other bit. Chances are your creatures are set up slightly differently to the way mine were.

Could be possible that they are set up differently from yours, maybe its something to do with Versions. I'm running the Mayday version 18 of DF, which isn't the most current one.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2009, 01:45:03 pm »

Remember that there hasn't been even a minor gameplay update of the game since late last year.
The situation that I'm talking about probably occured two or three months ago at maximum.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2009, 02:52:41 pm »

Remember that there hasn't been even a minor gameplay update of the game since late last year.
The situation that I'm talking about probably occured two or three months ago at maximum.

True. I tried just pressing the "A" for activate on the Slaughter Creature screen with no luck. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here since the Intelligent Domestic Pet creature that I made has the same personality and ethics as my Civ species, they just have a different name.

Can you remember what happened exactly, because as far as I see just adding [PET][trAINABLE] & [COMMON_DOMESTIC] to the Creature file doesn't allow me to draft them.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2009, 08:43:33 pm »

I figured out how to buy more Dwarves at embarkation, and this time I can assign them labors and they will equip goods and weapons. I'm not sure if they count as pets, but if nothing else its a way to embark with more than 7 dwarves at the start.

Heres the tags I used to do it:

[LARGE_ROAMING]
[BIOME:ANY_LAND]
[BIOME:MOUNTAIN]
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:10:20]
[PET_EXOTIC][trAINABLE]

in the Dwarf creature entry & I used the use local pet race tag in their civilization entry. Its a pretty fun bug if nothing else. If only I could figure out how to give Lizardmen the ability to equip items, because the Equip tag doesn't do it.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2009, 04:40:51 pm »

[PET_EXOTIC] let you take them on embark?  I thought that you'd need the dungeon master for that.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2009, 11:34:18 am »

[PET_EXOTIC] let you take them on embark?  I thought that you'd need the dungeon master for that.

You can take them along as long as you have the use any local pet race tag & make sure that the exotic pets are native to your civs starting location. Thats why elves can embark with cool shit.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2009, 02:50:53 pm »

So is the key to it all making the pet race PET_EXOTIC, trAINABLE, and part of your starting biome along with CAN_LEARN and CAN_SPEAK and all that jazz.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2009, 03:03:22 pm »

So is the key to it all making the pet race PET_EXOTIC, trAINABLE, and part of your starting biome along with CAN_LEARN and CAN_SPEAK and all that jazz.

Sort of yeah. If you take pets of a race other than yours they can't equip anything other than the clothes they start with & don't do most work. Its really fun though if you give the Pet_exotic/trainable tags and such to your dwarves so that you can buy more on embark, or make war/hunting dwarves (once you have a dungeon master).

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2009, 03:19:18 pm »

I can assign them labors without [trainable] at the moment.

By the way, what labors can intelligent pets perform?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2009, 07:40:51 pm »

I can assign them labors without [trainable] at the moment.

By the way, what labors can intelligent pets perform?

Mostly they hunt and fish -- they can't seem to haul wood or stone & they won't equip weapons or armor. This only applies to Intelligent Pets of a different species than your controllable civ -- Dwarves with Dwarf pets can make the pets do all the work.
Pages: 1 2 [3]