Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: so what's so hard?  (Read 3127 times)

Manchu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: so what's so hard?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 08:33:10 am »

hmmmm.  I'm getting the general idea here.  Sandbox, challenges, self imposed rules, ethics, perfect fortresses.  Once you figure how to play a basic game the idea is you make it whatever you want to make it, right?  I'm just discovering the depth of the game really.  There are some many things you can do, it sounds like part of the fun is just looking at the tool box and saying , ' I wonder if I can do this?'

By the way, my current fort has faced an invasion force of 14 goblins without much trouble.  Do they get bigger or badder than that?  I hope so cause I'd like to see how they handle something more in the neighbor hood of twice that.
h? wussat? dropped my pen...

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 09:06:41 am »

The goblin sieges do get bigger over time, but honestly I haven't found them to be particularly hard to deal with.

For real challenge by enemies I'd try out the (in)famous Orc mod. A squad of their elite marksmen makes even toughest dwarves wet their pants :) Only bad thing about orc mod is that you have to re-generate a new world for it to work.

If you find goblins too easy and don't want to use mods, try pissing off humans and elves. Tho sometimes human sieges have caused my game to crash.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:08:25 am by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 01:23:58 pm »

[...]

By the way, my current fort has faced an invasion force of 14 goblins without much trouble.  Do they get bigger or badder than that?  I hope so cause I'd like to see how they handle something more in the neighbor hood of twice that.

I don't even get ambushes with less than 20 goblins.. so yeah, there will be more of them. And if an army of goblins isn't enough (because you know.. they are pathetic as of now) then try the orc mod. Orcs are not only bigger and badder but also more numerous and they arrive earlier.. a lot earlier in fact. They also might bring some mounts that are quite scary as well, like humans ride horses they might arrive on much more sinister beasts. FUN

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 01:44:33 pm »

Oh god orcs. I was never a big military player. I just liked making forts that had a thriving industry of some kind or tried to make really cool looking castles in VisFort.

I decided I wanted a challenge and installed the Orcs mods.

I had 5 marksdwarfs and a single drawbridge trap when my first orcs came.

I killed 7 of the 10 of them on the drawbrisge trap and thought "Man, 3 orcs versus marksdorfs shouldn't be TOO HAR-" i didn't even finish that sentance by the time those 3 orcs annihilated my military. So I drafted 40 odd dorfs in a last ditch effort.

Still no match :c Didn't even bruise a single orc.

Saber Cherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 02:30:12 pm »

Later on in the vanilla game, I generally get sieges of 4 or 5 squads.  At 16 per squad, that's 64 to 80 goblins.  I usually manage to cage about a fifth of them, so right now I have a dungeon with about 240 goblins, color-coordinated (rows of wrestlers, archers, etc).  It would be rather funny if I installed a new version where, unbeknownst to me, goblins were suddenly able to break out of terrariums and free each other - the single watchdog might be overwhelmed.

I think that if you want a challenge, simply playing without traps would be sufficient, if you start in a location where the goblins are at least hostile.  Starting near hippos is a good idea, too.  But if you want to have FUN, then use a challenge mod.

It's unfortunate that there are no good farming mods out there right now (IMO).  The ones I've read about do not address what I see are the major problems, namely, that you can support a huge fortress with a single cook, a brewer or two, a handful of farmers, and an 8x8 square of land - and still buy out every caravan with a couple plates of leftovers.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 02:37:18 pm »

hmmmm.  I'm getting the general idea here.  Sandbox, challenges, self imposed rules, ethics, perfect fortresses.  Once you figure how to play a basic game the idea is you make it whatever you want to make it, right?  I'm just discovering the depth of the game really. There are some many things you can do, it sounds like part of the fun is just looking at the tool box and saying , ' I wonder if I can do this?'

Yeah, orcs are probably a bad idea for you....

For a general idea: Think of something cool. Do it. That's what most of us do.

It's worth noting that the next version will have more challenge, as Toady is putting in a whole underground system with native (and hostile) creatures, improved megabeasts, and infections. After the upcoming update, he's planning on improving sieges. So if sandboxes doesn't cut it for you, mods for now, but vanilla will soon do a bit more.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 04:57:19 pm »

I like the Gentle Farming mod, found in this thread: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24666

It is not the one now linked to by the OP's post, but was reposted by Chthonic further along in the thread.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 07:42:56 pm »

My favourite challenge is what I call the "superstition" challenge. Essentially, any mooding dwarves are executed upon completion of their artifact or earlier. Doesn't make things significantly harder, but it's always fun.

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 02:20:53 am »

You only just got to 100 dwarfs? Have you even been sieged yet? Do you have any nobles even? Wait till their demands start pilling up, and the tantrum spirals being. Or how about maintaining 200. Or 300. Then smack a megaproject on that.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2009, 11:25:18 am »

You only just got to 100 dwarfs? Have you even been sieged yet? Do you have any nobles even? Wait till their demands start pilling up, and the tantrum spirals being. Or how about maintaining 200. Or 300. Then smack a megaproject on that.

The only danger with nobles is if they like unimportable metals (all fortresses shake in fear of an adamantine baron... or they pull the noble execution lever). As for tantrum spirals, lots of cheap rooms for haulers, a damn good dining room, good food, and plenty of booze will keep those at bay. If your dwarves are idle and broke, you either need a bigger megaproject or you need to stop hiding behind traps like a little beardless she-elf and build an army.

Also consider cross training dwarves who do less active tasks in pump operator. My food haulers are all legendary siege operators so they can stay idle 80% of the time and never worry about money. Makes important but low frequency jobs much easier to pull off.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2009, 01:56:32 pm »

Oh god orcs. ...

Pretty similar to my first experience... the only orc that got past the bridge was the swordmaster leading them.

He single-handedly killed my 10 marksdorfs and the other 50 draftees.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 02:44:50 pm »

Nah, orcs are easy, try the 'better goblins' mod and take a look at the 'ender goblins'. Then try telling me that orcs are hard to kill.

(Incidentally, one of my recruits just singlehandedly took out a goblin siege whilst my champions were too busy having something to drink)

Sabre_Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2009, 12:36:48 am »

Make a zoo of rare and dangerous animals, like dragons, demons and humans.

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2009, 01:33:58 am »

Well I've done the no traps or blocking invasion routes challenge with dig deeper, orcs mod and extended, and its not too hard.  Next challenge is back to Vanilla, no traps or locking myself in, and no military training.....
Pages: 1 [2]