Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forbidding an entire trade depot before the merchants leave...  (Read 7886 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forbidding an entire trade depot before the merchants leave...
« on: October 23, 2009, 12:16:12 am »

I just did that. It seems that a) the merchants can't load forbidden items back into their wagons, so I've got a depot full of useless crap I didn't want;*
 and b) when you forbid trading items the game game can't declare them un-trading items. They all still have that [T] mark.

It seemed like a good idea at the time. I have few bins because I got no trees, so my major trading problem in the past has been getting everything to the dang depot  before the merchants leave. Forbidding all that crap before it could be carted back to stockpiles made it stay there, and vastly increased fort productivity while merchants were present. Next time I'll wait for them to actually go before I do it, tho.

Nick

*As opposed to useless crap I do want. Such as such as hundreds of random bars of metal.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Forbidding an entire trade depot before the merchants leave...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 12:32:52 am »

I've noticed that if you don't build a depot and mark the items the traders are carrying for dumping, your dwarves will happily take it off them and dump it, where you can reclaim it. The traders don't care in the slightest.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 02:52:42 am »

Easier theft is possible.

Just deconstruct the depot after the merchants arrive. Everything is instantly taken, and the merchants bugger off immediately. Works out nicely.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 07:10:33 am »

Be careful though:

Quote from: The Wiki
Note that the civilization attached to a particular caravan will keep track of the value of items the caravan was carrying when they set out to trade, and they will compare this value with the value of items they return home with. Regardless of what method you use to confiscate items from a caravan, even if you came to possess the goods through no fault of your own (an ambush killed the caravaners, for example) the parent civilization may decide that you stole from them and send a siege instead of a caravan the following year. It is prudent to take measures to protect caravans visiting your lands!

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 09:37:00 am »

Yeah, it doesn't matter how you get the goods.  You may as well just 's'eize them and save the trouble.

(Exception made for the dwarven caravan, from which you cannot normally seize.)

But I think what nickbii was saying is that if you forbid the stuff after the traders leave, your dwarves will leave it there, so you don't have to bother hauling it back to a stockpile and then back again next season.

To which I say, it's usually easier just to have your trading stockpile right next to the Trade Depot to begin with...
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 10:44:01 am »

Magua: certainly it's handy to put your goods stockpiles right next to the depot. However, at the moment, the depot has infinite capacity for goods, while the stockpiles don't. This will probably be fixed at some point, but in the meantime you can use depots as quantum stockpiles if you don't mind exploits.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 05:53:26 pm »

Yeah, it doesn't matter how you get the goods.  You may as well just 's'eize them and save the trouble.

(Exception made for the dwarven caravan, from which you cannot normally seize.)
It was the dwarves. I'm pretty sure they won't besiege me. They might not bring as many pretty things tho.

And I really wish it hadn't happened. I got too dang much stuff already.

Hopefully this doesn't screw up the wonderful relationship I have with the elves. My two breeding pairs of Giant Leopards, normal-sized Leopard, and pair of Grizzly Bears need company.
But I think what nickbii was saying is that if you forbid the stuff after the traders leave, your dwarves will leave it there, so you don't have to bother hauling it back to a stockpile and then back again next season.

To which I say, it's usually easier just to have your trading stockpile right next to the Trade Depot to begin with...
Usually it is. But I've got a popcap of 60, no wood (thus very few bins), an economy based on pumping out hundreds of rock mugs, plus a regular supply of Goblin Ambushers.

And now I've got besiegers too -- turns out popcap doesn't stop dwarves from breeding.

Nick