Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Third age total war  (Read 9475 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
Third age total war
« on: October 23, 2009, 10:08:42 am »

any one tried this?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/third-age-total-war

im downloading it now, over 2gb for the game and the patches, ill be sitting here for a while.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Third age total war
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 11:42:57 am »

I tried it very briefly. Elven archers are pretty bad compared to their movie counterparts. They basically just can shoot a lot farther, but as a result, they fire upwards at a near-90 degree angle when the enemy is near them.

Dwarves seem decent in battle, though.

Also, you start off completely blind on the campaign map. You have no clue about who's where until you send a spy somewhere, even if they're your beginning allies or sworn enemies. I've no idea why they thought this is a good idea. And I'm having a hard time taking this game seriously when High Elves can build such structures like an Artist's Studios, everything's vibrant green and I keep getting pestered by propositions of marrying off Arwen to some random elven no names. It's like I'm playing a parody or something.

But maybe that's just High Elves. Maybe the other sides play better. But the freaking smog of war really puts me off from trying again.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 12:01:50 pm »

THIS is the game you want.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/jrr-tolkiens-war-in-middle-earth

While you start out fleeing with your life with your hobbits to Rivendell, pretty soon like half of the non-evil armies in the whole world start to mobilize for you...you can't see it very well from the shots but the map is HUGE.  Diplomacy is limited to a couple simple fetch quests (IE get the dwarves some lost whatsit and YOU WILL HAVE THEIR AXES) but it still gives off a serious vibe of 80's badass.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:03:39 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 12:36:30 pm »

I have that game but I couldn't get into it.  Is there a manual or something?  I looked everywhere and couldn't find enough information to learn how to play it well.
Shoes...

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 12:43:57 pm »

downloaded it

started main campaign as dorfs

I recon its pretty damn good, better than vanila MTW2 anyway

fought a series of battles against teh orks of the misty mountains, had lots of dorfs in shiny armour with different assortments of axe. Cave trolls are smegging hard. The battles in general were pretty good.

the campaign map contains a few goofs. The goblins somethimes respond with the MTW2 holy roman empire audio files e.g. when opting to execute battle servivors - nein spare us. So they need to complete the modding in lots of areas, all the dorfs have scottish accents. They made eriador a kingdom with the mighty city of bree as its capital, and another city in the barrow downs. Not sure that was a good idea. And my wood elven allies gave me a mission, or rather price legolas asked me the dorfs to assassinate his father? a bit silly, but this is due to large chunks of the AI being those of vanilla MTW2.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 03:14:04 am »

It's not too bad. No idea why some pansies would choose to play their first game as an elf, but to play as Mordor or Saruman is pretty rad. Cave trolls are retardedly overpowered, so much so that I've defeated entire armies composed of 10,000 troops with a few bands of trolls. Elven archers are a pain in the butt, especially if you only have ground troops (which is quite normal for most armies which aren't human). Furthermore, the fact that most races are more or less immortal makes some of your generals (especially the nazgul) crazy strong.

The models are nice and the animations are smooth. It shows good work for a mod and the descriptions are great too. They really, really need to work on the balancing, but other than that, it's pretty sweet. They need more unit variation though and playing as some forces like Saruman and the mountain orcs gets boring after awhile as you end up using the same units all the time.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 04:58:22 am »

They need to have to Mumakil send soldiers flying like in Fourth Age Total War.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 07:15:12 am »

ignore this
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:47:40 am by RavingManiac »
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 08:54:39 am »

I played a beta of this or 4th age tw(mod for rtw)once. Do elven archers still fire ballista bolts?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 02:18:39 am »

Yeah this is a good mod for what it is. Elf archer units do not fire ballista bolts, but they are badass none the less. I recomend using this one as well, a sub mod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=259833 adds new skins and area based recruitment and many other key features that make the game overall better IMO. Well worth it considering it is free. This mutually exlusive sub mod, meaning it doesnt work wit hthe other I listed is also cool, http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=262063 it breaks down factions so there are many nations, some more lore inspired others a strech, but very much worth a look see. Dwarves are just wicked, lacking horsemen is a drag though.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 02:40:53 am »

I was stuck between choosing Medieval: Total War II and Rome: Total War. Guess this settles the dilemma ;)
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 03:09:29 am »

And I'm having a hard time taking this game seriously when High Elves can build such structures like an Artist's Studios, everything's vibrant green and I keep getting pestered by propositions of marrying off Arwen to some random elven no names. It's like I'm playing a parody or something.

But maybe that's just High Elves. Maybe the other sides play better. But the freaking smog of war really puts me off from trying again.

That's the game rather than the High Elves; remember in the Total War series woman are basically useless except to marry to a male (who can actually do something) and pump out babies. Looks like they forgot to edit that code.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 07:36:27 am »

I was stuck between choosing Medieval: Total War II and Rome: Total War. Guess this settles the dilemma ;)

imo vanilla rome is much better than vanilla medieval. Rome is better balanced, and less frustraiting. The AI in medieval is worse than rome, units with siege weapons in them take about a decade to cross a country, and the diplomatic AI is incredably retarded.

Theres lots of mods for both, not sure which is better on mods since i havnt tried any for rome

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 09:10:01 am »

For Rome TW one of the best mods for any game that I have seen is located here: Europa Barbarorum: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97258 I would say that those who have not tried Rome and have no experience with MTW II with or without mods should find and buy Rome Gold Ed. and instal the above mod first for a pure experience, however this Mod is very, very historical, so if one likes fantasy better than go with Third Age/MTW II
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 10:10:39 am »

i checked out the TW forums and there tons of mods on there. Could any one list a top 5 mods for Rome and Medieval? - total conversions and AI enhancements, preferably mods that contain both, or work together.
Pages: [1] 2