Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Third age total war  (Read 9484 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Third age total war
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 01:08:45 pm »

New patch for third age came out recently.  Dunno if it's just old and ModDB only now got it or what.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 02:31:21 pm »

Rome mods

1. EB Europa Barbarorum - Must check this out period
2. Iberia Total War: Excellent mod that focuses on Hanibul's invasion of Spanish lands, very accurate
3. RTR Rome Total Realism- enhanced AI, removes the ridiculous fantasy units like flaming pigs and such. Well worth a look
4.Darth Mod, just a AI balance mod that makes the game harder, but saves most of the vanilla units
5. not sure

MTW II

1. Third Age, Yes there was a new patch posted a few days ago, this mod is one of the most active of any of the current mods, including those from Empire total war. Needs Kingdoms

2. SS Stainless Steel - Huge Mod that fixes things and adds too much stuff to list, historicalish not as much as the Rome mods I listed, but worth looking at. Needs Kingdoms disc

3. Broken Crescent - One of my favorite mods of all time, extends the world playing field into the Middle East and central Asia, down into India. Very cool, most factions are Muslim, and the few who are not, especially the crusaders are in very, very hard starting positions. Works with the basic disk

4. Rusichi Total War. Play one of three Proto Russian states and try to unify under one banner or just ally with them and slug it out with the hordes of enemies. Very very different from the original game, some role-playing elements, lots of new better looking skins, historical cities. Some minor missing translations for texts. Solid, long-term alliances. MUST check this out if you like this part of the world, very challenging and it is a very, very slow game so do not hope to raise tons of the best units available for about 100 turns or more, Build your defenses and economy. Requires Kingdoms disc.

5.   Das Heilige Romische Reich. Nice mod, focus on the semi historical battle for control within the Holy (German) Roman Empire, very solid Diplomacy. Many direct and indirect enemies and unique challenges, well work the asking price (0$). 
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 03:15:07 pm »

We were talking about this in the Medieval 2 Total War thread.

I guess elven archers got a beef up from the poster before, because in version 1.3 I'm absolutely CURBSTOMPAN all the evil sides with archers. It isn't even fair (Medieval 2 AI has always had problems with long range tactics/engagements). I have only a few of the High Elf elite eldar archers too, but if any battle map I end up on a hill the battle is pretty much decided and even with enhanced AI mods to ensure the enemy charges me instead of milling around I typically have under 30 losses while inflicting thousands of casualties, unless I'm against Trolls and Mumakil.

To do this you have to ensure that your archers are shooting straight at the enemy rather than the arcing shot they do to avoid hitting your own troops. Create a thin long line of archers in front of spearmen by dragging the mouse. I keep some cavalry on the side. As the enemy struggle towards me I fire regular arrows for light armor or fire arrows for heavy armor. This tends to simply massacre them, and IF they actually struggle through the arrow storm, my spearmen sally through the archers and engage the cavalry/trolls first, everything else next- Juggle archer targets so you don't shoot your troops in the back. When that happens the rest of my infantry (swordsmen and the elven heavy swordsmen) engage their flanks from the side as my calvary wheels around back and slams into their rear flank.

It always causes insta-rout with a high command/dread general at that point unless I'm against 2+ stacks or trolls/mumakil as mentioned :-\

I'm going to try a different faction next, as the only thing keeping battles remotely difficult as elves are huge sieges or being completely outnumbered by a high-command general when you have a crap one.

Probably dwarves :D They're sooo slow though, but awesome.

EDIT: On VH/VH difficulty of course. Rohan got simply crushed, they have 1 region left after Sauron called for crusades :/ I have completely eliminated the Orcs ot MistyMountains (with help from Eriador and Silvan Elves/Dwarves) and ignoring Isengard who is at war with Mordor anyhow, goaded all the good sides into declaring war on Mordor and most of them with Rhun and Harad.

I love this mod, some things still need work but it's getting some of the best support out of any TW mod.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:19:03 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 03:26:36 pm »

The elves are wicked with a bow, some may say OP.

With the real combat + real recruitment, it is harder to play them because the cost and refresh rates from replacement troops is high, but the elves are even more badass, as they should be IMO. Also this submod changes the voices around, so the orcs sound like orcs ect.

Mordor and the Harad faction are my favorite to be honest.
And because it is such a pain in the ass to chase down pesky goblin and snaga skirmishers with small, fat legs, I have not made it too far with the dwarves.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 03:41:24 pm »

And because it is such a pain in the ass to chase down pesky goblin and snaga skirmishers with small, fat legs, I have not made it too far with the dwarves.

Yeah... considering they have only one real ranged unit and weak mercenary calvary... the dwarves look like they'd be annoying to play. You'd think they'd have one decent fast unit.

I haven't tried RC/RR for TATW yet because I remember how buggy SS was at first after i applied a submod, and had to do a completely fresh reinstall after deleting stuff. Royal pain in the ass.

Harad looks fun, if only for mumakil :D Rhun looks pretty awesome though.

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:29:26 pm by Bob69Joe »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2018, 08:34:40 am »

Nvm
Pages: 1 [2]