Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Resizing stockpiles  (Read 556 times)

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
Resizing stockpiles
« on: November 04, 2006, 02:55:00 pm »

Now that we have these fancy super-stockpiles with their custom contents and settings, it no longer makes sense to extend, say, your food stockpile by putting another food stockpile right next to it and ignoring the fact that the game considers them two seperate entities.  I think an option should be added to add more spaces to a stockpile as it fills.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Resizing stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 05:30:00 pm »

Seconded.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 06:32:00 pm »

Thirded. Hopefully this isn't like rewalling.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 05:15:00 pm »

Maybe just a simple option to copy a stockpile's settings onto another stockpile would be sufficient.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 06:00:00 pm »

I'll repeat someone's very old suggestion : when new stockpile is drawn right next to the old one - you should get a menu asking if you want to merge them.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 03:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by karnot:
<STRONG>I'll repeat someone's very old suggestion : when new stockpile is drawn right next to the old one - you should get a menu asking if you want to merge them.</STRONG>
That could get annoying...  does this menu just appear on top of everything else, interrupting whatever you're doing?  Also, what if you draw a stockpile right next to two other ones, which one would it merge to?  Would you have to choose from a list?  How would the list let the player know which is which?

Better suggestion:  If the 'start space' of a stockpile is on top of another stockpile of the same type, then the result is an extension and not a new stockpile.  Since there's only one start space, that can never be ambiguous, and it requires no fiddling with menus.  Possibly if the start space isn't on top of a stockpile, then the 'end space' could be checked instead.

Oh, and what if the player cuts a stockpile in two with de-selection?  For that matter, what happens now if the player does that?

[ November 07, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 04:29:00 am »

Deselecting part of a stockpile still leaves the remaining bits of the stockpile as a single stockpile, with the same options and number.

Putting more stockpiles next to existing stockpiles doesn't work so well for food now, unless you have an abundance of barrels.  Each non-full stockpile that uses barrels grabs an empty one as soon as it can.  This might lead to brewing failures due to lack of barrels, while you have a barrel is sitting empty in your raw fish stockpile, another in your prepared food stockpile, and one in your lye stockpile.  Fewer larger stockpiles make more efficient use of barrels and bins than many small stockpiles.

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 11:18:00 am »

Another potential interim solution would be to allow larger than 25x25 stockpiles.

I dont/wouldn't mind destroying a stockpile and then rebuilding it on top of itself, if it meant I had a single stockpile instead of two.

(Its not perfect, but its better than what we have now)

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 02:56:00 pm »

I think it'd be better if we could save stockpile settings