Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Refusal to Metalsmith  (Read 700 times)

Twitchy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Refusal to Metalsmith
« on: October 24, 2009, 09:45:45 am »

i have a county, with ~120 dwarves, it is going very smoothly (that should have been my first tip off that something was wrong)

except the fact that after my dwarves built my metalforge, they decided to all pretend they didnt have the metalcrafting/armoring/ etc skills needed to forge anything...

i have plenty of coke, and lots of ore, all i need for the forging is for the dwarves to start the job...

despite the fact i gave them all the skills, i had 57 idleing dwarves while the nobels mandated metal goods, and my forge stood waiting (yes i designated the tasks in the forge, but they just stay not started)

also, i can not even manage to deconstruct the metal forge, the dwarves refuse to even do that much (so i need to buy a new anvil if i want to try with a new forge)

any ideas?

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Refusal to Metalsmith
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 11:04:55 am »

Check out the top-right image here on the Wiki.  The dark squares are considered impassable, and a common cause is accidentally placing a workshop in such a way that it blocks access to the room.  Though... in the case of the metalsmith's shop, I can't really see any possible way of doing that?

Have you been deconstructing floors or constructing walls lately?  It's possible you've accidentally sealed the path to it.  Also, check that you don't have doors leading to it forbidden.

Could you post a screenshot of the shop's location so we can determine if location has anything to do with it?
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 03:11:10 pm »

You may also have forbidden the materials the forge is made out of. Use the 't' command on the forge and see if any of its components are forbidden; if they are, then the forge is unusable.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Sykirobme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 11:08:32 am »

Just to be sure: you've smelted the ore, yes?
ka KenHR on most other fora.

Twitchy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 08:07:40 am »

to save me the hassle of getting a screenshot online, im just going to say this, ive seen dwarves walk through the shop to get to my stone/ore stockpiles.

i have..
81 iron bars
9 gold bars
10 silver bars
14 coper bars
8 brass bars
3 pig iron bars
33 platinum bars
2 electrum bars
2 tin bars
2 fine pewter bars

the list goes on (i have a dozen leg craftsdwarfts, so im rolling in the fake money.. but noone to mint coins )

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 09:32:04 am »

Have you followed Derakon's suggestion and verified that you haven't accidentally forbidden the forge's building material and/or anvil? It's very easy to accidentally forbid a workshop's materials when trying to steer a Strange Mood toward more valuable components or when trying to force your masons to use a particular type of stone.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Twitchy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 10:43:53 am »

the siltstone it was made up of was forbidden, i fixed that, and .. well my dwarves got attacked, i killed them all and now the dwarves are too busy looting dead bodies, so ill let you know once that mellows out if the problem is fixed.

feel free to continue discussing the topic however.

Twitchy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 06:13:16 pm »

all fixed by the way. thankyou all. may your failures be epic. ;-)