Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burning Booze?  (Read 2407 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Burning Booze?
« on: September 28, 2009, 11:18:54 am »

There are tales of booze being highly flammable, such that in older versions it could be set on fire and inflict Massive Damage against both dwarves and goblins alike. In the current version, it has been observed that booze bombs are no longer effective.

Wanting a better explanation for what was going on, I embarked with some booze and placed it in a stockpile, then used dtil to set the world on fire. When the fire reached the booze, a red-orange cloud appeared over the barrels which, upon closer examination, was boiling booze over now-empty barrels.

Is booze actually flammable in 40d, or does it simply boil away when exposed to fire?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Burning Booze?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 11:40:23 am »

It boils. People just tend to look at the booze clouds and think "holy crap, my booze just exploded."
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 05:46:28 pm »

Another post in some other thread gave me the impression that this boiling booze won't actually cause damage.  I know steam no longer does but it seems like boiling alcohol would.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 06:37:32 pm »

Either way it's a damn waste of good alcohol.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 06:46:10 pm »

I tried experimenting awhile ago, and couldn't get anything but inconclusive results.  Problem is, if you pump magma directly onto a tile with a booze barrel on it, the barrel just vanishes.  Same for if you dump a booze barrel onto a tile with 1/7 magma.  Apparently, you have to have the barrel either catch on fire, like on a burning tree, or have magma flow along the floor to it.  And then you can't tell if the damage is from the fire/magma, or the boiling booze.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

1sauber1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 07:03:29 pm »

Firesnakes and such are the usual cause of boozesplosions since they tend to light the barrels on fire rather than destroy them like magma.

GD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 04:48:30 am »

as i remember booze, molten stones and other liquids can't burn, but can boil and cause damage. I used this to create repeatedfire - stone that autoignite, burn, melt, cooled to transform back in stone and again autoignite. 
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1280-this mod contain some boiling things, like burning mushrums and unstable metal for burning cage-traps

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 01:30:53 am »

Either way it's a damn waste of good alcohol.

So use prickle berry wine, gutter cruor, swamp whiskey, and sewer brew. That way, it's a waste of bad alcohol.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 02:26:29 am »

It is not a waste if you have a dwarven fuck ton left, and you are vanquishing the army of your rival civ's army.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 03:04:09 am »

If only war would stop so that dwarves and their enemies could have a massive booze party in the statue garden and work no more, even inviting a giant cave spider that was running around, then slaughter them all while they're drunk and the dwarves and on a high ready to work.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 11:29:40 pm »

Booze bombs have never been real.

The booze boils (like you noticed) and creates a red mist cloud of evaporated booze. Heat from the burning wooden barrel (stand next to a burning tree in adventure mode for a while sometime) causes damage to creatures. Unobservant people think OMG BOOZESPOSION!!!!! and people on the forum who want to believe propagate the myth.

I tested it and the same effect (minus the red booze cloud of course) was obtained with burning empty barrels, and even just plain old burning logs. It's the heat from the fire (and dwarven stupidity/lack of self preservation) that causes damage, not the booze cloud.

so just drop plain old flaming logs and you're not wasting any alcohol - good or bad.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!