Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pumping up - Best Power Options and Design Options.  (Read 5691 times)

TheCatfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Catfish: Part of the Carp Mafia
    • View Profile
Pumping up - Best Power Options and Design Options.
« on: October 27, 2009, 10:58:25 am »

So I've got the start of my tower of terror. I'm planning on pumping water/magma to the top (or as close as), the water is then to waterfall down the centre pillar, the magma is for the workshops and there will be a revervoir for a magma death cannon.

I'd like to know what is the bext potential way for pumping.

Code: [Select]
THE BASIC LEVELS
╔═══════════╗
║+++++++++++║
║+++++++++++║
║+++++++++++║
║+++++++++++║
║++++╔═╗++++║
║++++║ ║++++║ <-*
║++++╚═╝++++║
║+++++++++++║
║+++++++++++║
║+++++++++++║
║+++++++++++║
║+++++++++++║ <- **
╚═══════════╝
*The centre pillar. Will be fortified at places to allow mist, or glass walls if it may flood it.
**I'm thinking of putting the pumps up this side as the magma and water sources are this side of the tower. Also I miscounted when I started building so it's one tile wider than I needed it.

So what is the best way to pump it, design wise. I was going to go with a perpetual motion water wheel, but can you transfer power up levels to the other pumps? How to pack it in best.

One more thing, the tower will get wider once I get a few levels above the pit.
"I'm Urist McHanz!" "And I'm Urist McFranz!" "And we're going to PUMP" *clap* "you up!"

The catfish, deadlier than hippos, and piranhas, crocodiles, and sharks.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pumping up - Best Power Options and Design Options.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 11:04:11 am »

Check the wiki for "Pump Stack".

Essentially, by only supporting one side of the pump with a floor, and supporting the other side with the blocked tile of the pump beneath it, you can transfer power up the pump stacks by using the pumps themselves.

Quick description:

pP_
_Pp
 pP_
_Pp

p = input side of pump
P = output side of the pump
Ensure a floor is underneath the 'p' side, ensure the 'P' side is channeled (this also keeps you from accidentally putting the pumps in backwards).
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

TheCatfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 11:12:51 am »

Cheers for that, I knew about pump stacking but I didn't know that the power goes along the stack. Excellent, two rows of them at the back then and power at the top. Bit of jiggling up there for the liquid outputs and it should be fine.
"I'm Urist McHanz!" "And I'm Urist McFranz!" "And we're going to PUMP" *clap* "you up!"

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 11:34:48 am »

Whoa wait... Power moves up through the z levels from one pump to another if output side is channeled out?

...this changes everything.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

elthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Photo[gallery]
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 11:38:34 am »

Whoa wait... Power moves up through the z levels from one pump to another if output side is channeled out?

...this changes everything.

Do i take it right that to transform power in a pump stack you need to channel 2 tiles, not 1? i.e.
1 channeled tile for water and 1 under the pump itself?

i tryed to build a pump stack for the first time with only 1 channeled tile on each level (the watery one) but it didn't work like transferring power to other levels

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 12:12:20 pm »

Each pump needs four spaces on its level, two of which are channeled. One of them provides access to the fluid on the lower level; the other allows the pump to transfer power. This is all detailed in the wiki on pump operating.

Basically you want to set up your channels like so:
_._.
._._
_._. (view is from the side)
._._ .: floor
_._. _: channel
._._

Incidentally, dwarves can't see through glass walls, so if you want a safe mist machine, use windows instead.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 12:22:49 pm »

So I've got the start of my tower of terror. I'm planning on pumping water/magma to the top (or as close as), the water is then to waterfall down the centre pillar, the magma is for the workshops and there will be a revervoir for a magma death cannon.

I'd like to know what is the bext potential way for pumping.

THE BASIC LEVELS
╔═══════════╗
║+++++++++++║
║+++++++++++║
║+++++++++++║
║+++++++++++║
║++++╔═╗++++║
║++++║ ║++++║ <-*
║++++╚═╝++++║
║+++++++++++║
║+++++++++++║
║+++++++++++║
║+++++++++++║
║+++++++++++║ <- **
╚═══════════╝
*The centre pillar. Will be fortified at places to allow mist, or glass walls if it may flood it.
**I'm thinking of putting the pumps up this side as the magma and water sources are this side of the tower. Also I miscounted when I started building so it's one tile wider than I needed it.

So what is the best way to pump it, design wise. I was going to go with a perpetual motion water wheel, but can you transfer power up levels to the other pumps? How to pack it in best.

One more thing, the tower will get wider once I get a few levels above the pit.
Just popping in to say kudos for copy-pasting the real characters instead of making a rough diagram.
I hope someone in the community will one day make a web-application for drawing which could be copy-pasted...
I know roughly what would be required, but my skillz aren't insane enough for undertaking the wall dilemma >.>
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 01:53:47 pm »

Cheers for that, I knew about pump stacking but I didn't know that the power goes along the stack. Excellent, two rows of them at the back then and power at the top. Bit of jiggling up there for the liquid outputs and it should be fine.

Be aware of the downsides:

1) You have to build the pumps from the bottom up, since they'll support the ones above them.  You can't just designate them all at once.
2) If something happens to one of the pumps, it and all the pumps above it will be deconstructed.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 02:44:49 pm »

ah, that thread title... now I got an image of a couple of dorfs cross training as pump operators "I'm Urist McHanz!" "And I'm Urist McFranz!" "And we're going to PUMP" *clap* "you up!"
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 02:45:37 pm »

Incidentally, dwarves can't see through glass walls, so if you want a safe mist machine, use windows instead.
I thought mist good thoughts came from coming in direct contact with the mist, not from seeing it?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 02:56:39 pm »

I thought mist good thoughts came from coming in direct contact with the mist, not from seeing it?

This is probably why the OP indicates that they will be fortified in places to allow mist to go through, and walled in places where flooding might be a concern.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 03:00:24 pm »

This is probably why the OP indicates that they will be fortified in places to allow mist to go through, and walled in places where flooding might be a concern.
My point is that windows won't be any different than glass walls for letting dwarves get the beneficial effects of mist.  Fortifications, grates, or bars should work.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

elthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Photo[gallery]
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 03:48:08 pm »

Each pump needs four spaces on its level, two of which are channeled. One of them provides access to the fluid on the lower level; the other allows the pump to transfer power. This is all detailed in the wiki on pump operating.

Basically you want to set up your channels like so:
_._.
._._
_._. (view is from the side)
._._ .: floor
_._. _: channel
._._

you described it better than the wiki does - i did not got the idea when reading wiki, plus the wiki page is missing* an image with the pump stack, so there's only comment describing the image on that page.
*well at least it refuse to load in whatever browsers i have installed

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 04:13:07 pm »

Has anyone done a formal study to see if merely seeing the mist is enough or if it has to be walked through?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

TheCatfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 04:14:24 pm »

Okay so channel for power, channel for liquid (well, remove floor as it's all constructed).

And i'll be fortifying the walls too on the way up. Windows in places too, even if they don't work I still like the idea of them staring into the pipe full of water and knowing the Tower is still powered.

How much power would I need for a stack of 53 pumps, in terms of Water Wheel/Windmill/Other? Bear in mind this is the first time I'm ever venturing into power in DF.

EDIT: Also at reese, sigged.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 04:27:20 pm by TheCatfish »

Pages: [1] 2