Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Alter Ego - Life Simulation Browser Game  (Read 43084 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Alter Ego - Life Simulation Browser Game
« on: October 28, 2009, 02:32:24 am »

First warning. This game contains scenes of simulated sex and violence... in text form... that isn't really descriptive... and is kinda like, "you two spend the night together". But fairly ye be warned!

Anyway, this "game" has been around forever. Most of you probably have played it before. It's really kinda like an elaborate flowchart + D&D about life. No spells, magic, heroes, or whatever here. It's not even as fantastikal as the Sims. It's real life. Of you. If you were born again.

It's a pretty neat experience and if you actually finish it, you'll be scratching your head wondering what to make of it. Try it out and let us know what you did in your new life.

Linky: http://www.playalterego.com/alterego

p.s: Don't go near strangers' cars.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alter Ego - Life Simulation Browser Game
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 02:37:01 am »

All my characters end up the same. It doesn't matter how they start off, they all end the same way  :-\
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 02:37:42 am »

I always end up as a deadbeat living off lottery winnings for some reason.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 03:02:34 am »

I usually end up as a very wealthy guy with a wife but no children.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 03:28:42 am »

Ha, I remember playing this WAY back in The Day.  :D

I tended to be pretty happy with my life, all things considered.  It's just irritating that you only get so many squares per life section, and if you try and do them all from one end to the other, you'll end up never getting to your senior prom or whatever.

Stay away from those risky chances you can take.  They're never worth it--and even chickening out is pretty bad.  Don't take stupid risks.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 08:50:41 am »

Heh, this was always a fun way to waste some time.

I generally wind up in the same situation every time, and that's usually being old, physically fit, and with a string of relationships that ended for some inexplicable reason and occasionally some poor broad that decided to stick with me.

I believe the first time I died was at the completely obvious 'stranger with candy' - I remember being incredulous as I could swear I picked the right option. Whether this was a misclick or some sort of horrible bug is lost to the mists of time.

All my other deaths have been towards the end; I routinely died of a heart attack in the senior's baseball game (despite, again, excellent physical prowess), and the one time I did make it past that I died on the table after some scumbag physician tried to convince me I needed to be opened up and poked around in.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 05:05:48 pm »

I played the DOS version twice.  The first time I got stuck because the version I played was missing some of the vignettes, and the second time I made it all the way through and died in my sleep.
Shoes...

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 06:20:44 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:07:35 pm by Stany »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 07:56:08 pm »

Sowelu: The rules have been changed somewhat. You get way a lot more time to do shit this time around, so I usually end up with way too much extra time and nothing to click.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 01:24:13 pm »

They should atleast let you make a save or so, since all to many times I died for clicking a button too fast.

Edit: Finally gotten into old age.. and I shouldnt have joined that softball team..
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 01:21:06 pm by Ultimuh »

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 03:25:43 pm »

I always get killed by the kidnapper. Always. Is there any way to escape him ? Maybe my physical shape isn't good enough...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 04:12:05 pm »

The game seems kind of biased. For example, I ate the Brussels sprouts and it said "What kind of child is THAT obedient?"

As a kid I did enjoy eating things like that...

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 04:12:55 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:17:05 pm by Stany »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 07:52:54 pm »

Just played and did very well, too bad I couldn't buy the 1 million house, nor the luxurious cars and boats.
But I got everything high-quality, contemporary house and economy car..a wife, 2 children (both girls) and died on the 'true ending'.

The game provides a pretty cool experience once you try to imagine yourself on those situations.
Of course you can do many things you would EVER do on real life (posing nude for a college calendar? who the hell would do this?)
I'm like "neutral" in real life and that's the way I've chosen in the game. You lose and win in the same proportion, but have a slight chance of hitting the jackpot once, put no chances of facing a tragedy.

The "You have a small electric appliance that can be fixed with a little tinkering.." made me laugh, since in the beggining of the game, depending on your choices, it tells you what will happen if you fix the appliance.

I've also felt bad by not being able to save "Jhon" in adolescence (the suicidal friend), and curiously he appeared in middle adulthood, married.

Anyway, it was great :]
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 07:55:34 pm »

Of course you can do many things you would EVER do on real life (posing nude for a college calendar? who the hell would do this?)

>.>

<.<
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4