Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Alter Ego - Life Simulation Browser Game  (Read 43082 times)

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
Re: Alter Ego - Life Simulation Browser Game
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2010, 05:36:21 pm »

this is a really interesting game and I am enjoying it but something is really pissing me off. The damn knowledge quizzes. No I don't know these things myself, I could cheat and look them up but I wont because I'm trustworthy both in this game and out of it. So why should my intelligence be reduced to around 20 every-time this thing pops up? Not knowing 10 or so questions about random subjects does not mean I'm stupid >.<

-edit: two more things that are bugging me. apparently I can only have boyfriends? what is that shit all about? Also. I got to a point in my adolescence where it said i have to be a little older or have a job to do the next steps. I clicked on the find a job button and it said I should focus on school instead for now. so without any remaining options other than find a boyfriend >.> I moved onto the next age. now all those choices are gone? what? wasent I supposed to advance my age so i could do those things? whats going on?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 06:24:01 pm by cganya »
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Dervin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2010, 07:36:13 pm »

I played the DOS version of this, it was pretty awesome.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2010, 08:05:51 pm »

I tried to play this a couple times, but i always get irritated by having the authors view of events and consequences forced down my throat.  whoever wrote it seems to have no idea what life is like if you are confident and agressive.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2010, 08:47:32 pm »

Yeah cganya.  I hit that a couple times, but kept getting "you need to be older".  When I got back to it, I was "too old".

:\

Anyway my last character was HARDASS MCMARYSUE for up 'till like the end of young adulthood.  She got considerably less baller after that - failed like maybe 50-60% of my endeavors and stuff -  but before that she was smart, caring, trustworthy, honest, way straight-laced, and practically devoid of any apprehension ever.  I was a chill-as baby too.

I never got married until like middle-adulthood, when menopause it, so I adopted a kid.  The next life stage was old age, and yet ol'-grandma me and my kid won a three-legged race.  Man, I am HOT STUFF.  And still pretty Mary Sue, I guess.

I've got two complaints, though:

In my adult or middle-adult phase, I wasted an ungodly amount of turns trying to find a guy in town, but aside from maybe ONE guy at the beginning of the search, literally every single one was "not as interested as I first thought".  That was pretty damn annoying.

Why can't I hook up with the people from events?  I'm thinking specifically of Horace.  If I could have ended my guy hunt there I would have, but instead the game is like NO YOU NEVER SEE HIM AGAIN EVER and I am forced to continue for the next two, three decades.  >:\

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2010, 10:39:08 pm »

I tried to play this a couple times, but i always get irritated by having the authors view of events and consequences forced down my throat.  whoever wrote it seems to have no idea what life is like if you are confident and agressive.
THIS! SO MUCH!
Hello Hunam

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2010, 10:45:32 pm »

I don't think it was intended as a super-realistic simulation of life.

Also it was made when monochrome monitors were common, so the scope of the program is a bit limited.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2010, 12:52:58 am »

Definitely. This game is buttocks old. More than twenty years. It's impressive it managed to survive so long and so well.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2010, 04:25:28 am »

Yeah--if you ever check out the vignette files themselves, they had some pretty cute compression for the era they came from.  I wonder if they generated the cipher programmatically, or if they picked the compression symbols themselves...I'm guessing the latter.  But regardless, it was still pretty big when you look at the disks of its time.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2010, 04:30:17 am »

The game was designed by one psychologist (a very young one, too, judging by an interview I saw somewhere on the internet that was relatively recent and had him pegged at about 40 years old in the present). As such, it gets very preachy sometimes.

This was always the biggest criticism.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2010, 08:11:17 am »

Note to self:Never join a baseball team in real life.Also my guy has a degree in buisness but when i try to get the buisness job it says something like come back when you have finished collage,which is weird because i already have.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2010, 03:37:41 am »

Yeah, I died playing baseball on my first time, too.

By the way: It's not cheating to look up the answers to the knowledge quizzes. Think of it as 'studying'.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2015, 03:50:13 pm »

Sorry for the necro!

I played the game several times, mostly by roleplaying - I just didn't care about the stats of my character, just the events.
One of the few games who can bring strong emotions about your character.

As for the link given in the OP: the modalities changed from making pay for the Android version to only propose the first stage for free to play - all others must be paid for (4.99$).

What a grief, even though I can understand the webmaster wants to recover the costs of running the website.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2015, 05:39:11 am »

Sorry for the necro!

I played the game several times, mostly by roleplaying - I just didn't care about the stats of my character, just the events.

As for the link given in the OP: the modalities changed from making pay for the Android version to only propose the first stage for free to play - all others must be paid for (4.99$).

What a grief, even though I can understand the webmaster wants to recover the costs of running the website.
Not true - paying is only required to skip waiting times between the stages, with 5 mins to advance to childhood, 10 to adolescence and 20 for the rest, IIRC.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2015, 11:18:29 am »

Sorry for the necro!

Not true - paying is only required to skip waiting times between the stages, with 5 mins to advance to childhood, 10 to adolescence and 20 for the rest, IIRC.

I believed that, since he put a notice Purchase the rest of the game below, or play the first part of the game for free, then the player had to pay for the stages after Childhood.

But if I only pay for skipping the wait, then it's still good.

EDIT: (4/24) Yeah, the paying is just for skipping the wait - good business tactic from Dr. Favaro.

As for the new look of the page, the older, HTML based look of the page could be said to be more befitting for a 1980s game than the new, iPhone-looking.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 04:36:11 pm by Azerty »
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2019, 04:27:52 pm »

For those who would want to play the original experience, I found the following on Internet Archive: male and female versions.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]