Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yeye, DF mod for clonk rage  (Read 6742 times)

zagabar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Yeye, DF mod for clonk rage
« on: October 28, 2009, 06:38:31 pm »

I am working on it!

For those who doesn't know clonk rage (I bet all doesn't XD): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p83_ONA9qyw

Currently I have added some materials from DF. You can also process them into blocks in the masonry,

Images of me and tefalo placing blocks ingame:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Red = Rhyolite
Light blue = Guess what? Microcline!!
Green = Olivine
Light Yellow = Orthoclase
White = Rock salt
Gray  = Gabbro

Ciao!

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yeye, DF mod for clonk rage
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 06:59:46 pm »

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 10:28:40 pm »

Ah Clonk. Oh YEAH its GERMAN!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 04:35:04 am »

The problem I had with Clonk (other than the controls being awkward--do we not have enough keys on the keyboard to use unique keys for unique actions?  Dig, grab (sometimes), build, and exit menu are all the same key!) was that the "worlds" had vague winning conditions ("all ore" or "all gold" which implies either "every possible drop" or "every last pixel") neither of which are completable when you need BOMBS to mine most of it, and those are in limited supply.

The other one I played was the desert oil fields where....you start with no freaking money or resources and no easy way of getting any.  I sold flints until I realized that it was not going to be easy buying the resources needed to construct:
Windmill (which may or may not generate power--on the volcanic island that's getting flooded it was the quickest to make power source and didn't work)
Pump
Chemical Processing Plant
Research Center(???)
Various others (most of which I didn't look at long enough to determine their use).  Each one costs 15 gold for the construction kit, plus N wood and Y metal, which cost 2 and 5 gold respectively.
Plus I'd need at least 3 line kits (power from mill to pump, source line to oil, and out line to chemical plant)

Flints sold for 5, and the skulls I found on the surface were worth 2 each.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 06:21:40 am »

What draco18s said

Its just challanging and has a steep learning curve the way it looks like, just like DF  :P

PolliMatrix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 10:27:06 am »

I am working on it!

For those who doesn't know clonk rage (I bet all doesn't XD): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p83_ONA9qyw

Currently I have added some materials from DF. You can also process them into blocks in the masonry, [...]
Looks interesting so far, although I would use colors a bit closer to the real rocks. Do the blocks become the actual material or are they basically solid objects? Also, what other things from DF do you plan to include into the mod? Will it eventually include creatures from DF or will it be something like using the Clonk creatures to make leather and bone crafts?

What draco18s said

Its just challanging and has a steep learning curve the way it looks like, just like DF  :P
I agree that the controls in Clonk are a bit tricky at first. Also, if you use your scarce resources carefully and are patient enough to wait for new items to buy, the single player missions should be finishable as you don't have to mine absolutely every last pixel.
That said the most interesting part of Clonk - to me - is the many mods and making your own using the developer mode...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 11:39:27 am »

I really got into that for a while, but it got boring when I discovered there where no other players in North America.

What would go well with that mod is sieges. And traps.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

zagabar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 12:18:15 pm »

I am working on it!

Currently I have added some materials from DF. You can also process them into blocks in the masonry, [...]
Looks interesting so far, although I would use colors a bit closer to the real rocks. Do the blocks become the actual material or are they basically solid objects? Also, what other things from DF do you plan to include into the mod? Will it eventually include creatures from DF or will it be something like using the Clonk creatures to make leather and bone crafts?

What draco18s said

I agree that the controls in Clonk are a bit tricky at first. Also, if you use your scarce resources carefully and are patient enough to wait for new items to buy, the single player missions should be finishable as you don't have to mine absolutely every last pixel.
That said the most interesting part of Clonk - to me - is the many mods and making your own using the developer mode...

But... What do you mean?!?! Isn't microcline eyepoking blue irl? D:

Joke aside, Yeah, I know. xP

They become blocks of the actual material when solid.

I havent really planned it much yet. I just script what I feel like. But underground stuff + critters from DF would be fun. And a pickaxe to somehow mine in rock. Also crafts. And HFS! MAybe some goal too.

zagabar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 12:18:44 pm »

I really got into that for a while, but it got boring when I discovered there where no other players in North America.

What would go well with that mod is sieges. And traps.

Yeah, I can add traps.

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 05:33:17 pm »

MICROCLINE STATUE!

That is all.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 07:25:12 pm »

Cool little game, but my god, the bugs.  Having to abandon after two clonks get stuck on a bit of dirt is unbelievably frustrating.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 03:08:55 am »

Yeah, the sticking is what drove me away from Clonk Planet years ago.  A buddy and I used to LAN the crap out of that, we used the Knights expansion for PvP and I'd always kit out one ramboclonk and shoot him into my buddy's castle with a cannon.  He'd take some damage from the landing, but then he'd go on a shrieking rampage, get a few kills and try to start a fire with his flaming arrows before the other guy managed to run me down with a lance.

That game could be absolutely fabulous with a little more work.  Some task automation, a more robust terrain system (floating pixels once imprisoned ALL FOUR of my clonks, causing me to emoragequit after hours of work) and a pick item that lets you dig ore and rock in a more controlled way would really shine it up for me.
I brake for stumble bumblings

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 11:00:39 am »

I find that when they get stuck, I can get them out by having them stop, then dig in some direction for a second. Doesn't work with stone, I guess, though.

Warlord of Woe

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Axeman : : Legendary Armor user
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 08:21:33 pm »

Official development for Clonk Rage was recently halted as Matthes (lead developer...) decided he couldn't continue to work on it. Such a sad state of affairs. With that, however, began the development of OpenClonk, as the source was released and everyone was allowed to work on it.
BLOOD FOR BLOOD GOD!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 01:10:21 am »

Hey, what's up peoples? DF for Open Clonk status?