Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: (REQ) Multi-Tree Mod  (Read 1581 times)

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
(REQ) Multi-Tree Mod
« on: October 29, 2009, 01:15:45 am »

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to both Dwarf Fortress and modding in general, and have no skills or knowledge of any of the common program langauges or anything.  But I do have a question, or better yet, a suggestion for a rather simple mod.  Assuming it hasn't already been done (and I missed it), or its hard-lined into the game itself:

A mod that would allows trees to drop more than 1 (one) log at a time when cut down. 

The deal is, most trees in the real world could be used and cut into several logs (or even planks), instead of just a single chunk per tree.  Not only would this allow you 'not' to have to clear-up your entire map if you need wood resources, but would dramatically increase the usefulness of wood-burners and the like when you need a type of coal for forging.  So, can it be done?
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
Re: (REQ) Multi-Tree Mod
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 01:24:36 am »

No, it's hard coded.

Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 01:26:27 am »

Well, that blows a hole in my bubble. Thanks for the straight-forward answer though.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 01:44:45 am »

The only real way to mod the 'rubber hits the road' game play level is to do either new reactions or new/modified creatures and some cost adjustments, everything else is essentially decorative in nature.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 01:46:22 am »

See, I know nothing of how to do that.  I was actually talking of changing the value of how many logs you'd get from felling a single tree.  Other than that, I have no idea what it would intel or require.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 05:27:30 am »

You could mod the game so that the wood trees drop can be processed to a multiple units of a "lumber wood" item at a Smelter, that also counts as wood.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 05:34:32 am »

I believe I'm going to do the FREE_WOOD mod listed in the wiki. It seems the easiest, sense there is always so much stone laying around.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 01:44:10 am »

I did the smelter reaction one a while ago. I made the "pine" tree, and "finished pine" tree without any biomes (so it won't appear in nature).

Then I just made a smelter reaction that turned 1 pine log into 5 or so "finished pine logs" that could be used. The nice thing with "Finished" means that means that things like a "finished pine bed" just sounds like it was made with planks and stuff rather than raw logs... which it was.

It was a little tedious to go and make a different "finished" form for all trees, though... though I can't recall how I made it select the correct tree type to match the input. I may have had to just make one "finished wood" tree, but then you wouldn't get the different densities, for what that's worth.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 02:38:04 am »

I couldn't get it to work, and now the only reaction in my smelter is Make Steel; which is the one I removed [FUEL] from.  Odd, but I think I messed up my game somehow.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 02:46:31 am »

I did something similar, making a 'lumber' tree without biomes and a smelter reaction to transform any unit of wood into 3 'lumber' logs. It looks odd but it works. Could change the name to anything else for aesthetics. (Lumber Bed isn't the best name ever, but neither is Pine Bed really.)

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 02:48:03 am »

Could go through and rename the entire deal as Lumber Yard; xD Never need charcoal or lumber again! Lol. 

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 03:03:24 am »

That really is odd.  No matter how I change my FREE_WOOD addition as a reaction, it doesn't appear in my smelter.  And all of the original smelter entries are missing in-game, except for the modded MAKE_STEEL entry I was testing out.  Any ideas?  Or do I need to make a new world for this?  :o

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 05:28:50 am »

That really is odd.  No matter how I change my FREE_WOOD addition as a reaction, it doesn't appear in my smelter.  And all of the original smelter entries are missing in-game, except for the modded MAKE_STEEL entry I was testing out.  Any ideas?  Or do I need to make a new world for this?  :o

If you change the total number of reactions you must generate a new world. If you mod an existing reaction to make wood you should be fine.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 06:49:24 am »

Oooh, okay.  I see now. Hm.  I'll have to do that then. I already switched back to my original raw, but I kept the modded one so I'll just start a new world. Thanks!

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 03:09:54 pm »

In the new release you can make custom workshops. I would *love* to see a Sawmill or some sort. Requires power, a mechanism and a giant saw blade. Turns wood into finished planks which would be more efficient for building [But I guess couldn't be used for carving or making bolts or something?].
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.
Pages: [1] 2