Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Conservation of Ninjutsu" in videogames  (Read 1184 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Conservation of Ninjutsu" in videogames
« on: October 29, 2009, 08:24:59 am »

Is there any multiplayer game where the more you're losing, the stronger you get? Or vice versa? It's a very appealing idea to me.

Now, I'm not just taking about implied conservation of ninjutsu, like in fighting games or beat'em ups where the enemies get stronger and stronger, but actual direct conservation of ninjutsu...

For people that want to know what I'm talking about, look here:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ConservationOfNinjutsu?from=Main.ConservationOfNinjitsu
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 08:50:54 am by chaoticjosh »

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Conservation of Ninjutsu" in videogames
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 08:42:08 am »

Isn't there a shitton of examples in the videogames section of that trope link?

I've seen it quite often in FPS's though. You face the first boss and barely survive the fight, and just a couple of levels on that boss type is suddenly the most common enemy around and you slaughter them in droves.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 08:47:05 am by olemars »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 08:48:11 am »

Not really, I'm looking for multiplayer games that follow it. Except for the SSB example, there's not much. Probably should have specified that.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 09:01:04 am »

Well I remember something like that in one of my old Genesis games "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Championship Fighters" or something along those lines.  When your health got low enough you could use "desperation attacks" which were insanely powerful.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 01:38:33 pm »

I remember some old quake mods where the better you were doing, the less weapons you had.  Like, everyone spawned with all weapons, and you lost your best one every kill or five kills or something...

Oh yeah Mario Kart is an obvious example.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 07:11:01 pm »

Street Fighter 4; as you get beaten up, your ultra combo meter fills, which allows you to use the Ultra, which is often devastating, if often difficult to land.
!!&!!