Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dissapearing pig tail seeds  (Read 1226 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Dissapearing pig tail seeds
« on: March 07, 2010, 12:32:42 am »

Urist McFarmer, Planter, cancels Plant Seeds: Needs Pig tail Seeds.

Something is going wrong, here.  I've been running a major textile mill in my fort for years, now, and suddenly, I'm running out of pig tail seeds?

Considering as I have some legendary planters, I really shouldn't be having failed crops, so I'm wondering where my seeds are going, since every other crop is at the cap for the number of seeds they can have.

Did processing pig tails into thread prevent them from producing seeds, and I just never noticed all along?

edit: oh, and I have 41 seeds... 40 of them are in the ground.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Dissapearing pig tail seeds
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 12:36:10 am »

That's probably it.  Dwarves will try to plant if there's any seeds at all available, even if they're en route to the stockpile.  This causes a lot of "needs x seeds" job cancel spam.

Anyway, processing the pig tails to thread should leave behind plenty of seeds.  Make sure you aren't letting your Dwarves cook the seeds, because they will happily go through ALL of your seeds if you don't tell them to leave them alone (hence why seed cooking is off by default).  You might have accidentally allowed cooking of pig tail seeds at some point.
Sanity is for the weak.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 12:48:19 am »

I don't cook seeds, since I have plenty of other things to cook, and don't really want to bother with seeds being spawned everywhere.  (and every other type of seed is at or very near 200)

Thing is, stocks say I have 41 seeds, and 40 are inside plots. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 01:20:24 am »

There's nothing odd about that at all.  That just means that the 40 plots have seeds already planted, and your Dwarves are more or less fighting over who gets to plant the last seed.  Nothing to panic about, rest assured (unless you've somehow managed to go from far more seeds than that to just 41 total; then you really do need to start checking around and seeing if maybe one of your Dwarves has been snacking on them due to a preference for them).
Sanity is for the weak.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 03:20:44 am »

With legendary planters it should take like what, 10 planted squares of pig tails the previous season to get 40 seeds.  Major textile mill implies that something is very wrong, you should have 200 after one successful harvest.  I think processing pigtails at a farmers workshop yields seeds, otherwise I wouldn't have enough for my 10x10 pig tail plot in my current fort. 

You don't happen to have fire snakes do you?  A whole bunch of seeds can fit in a flammable barrel...

I was going to say that you have some sneaky dorf that likes eating the seeds but even a few of those shouldn't make a difference. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 12:22:42 pm »

It's not a fire snake, my seeds are stored in the same "food warehouse" as a good amount of my booze.  I'd know if it was a fire snake setting fire to barrels.

Actually... I think I have a different problem, now that I've been looking it over.

I apparently have over 600 pig tails in stock.  Not all my farmers are legendary (I pulled dwarves who early on had multiple specializations off of farming to go to their more valuable craft... once some children hit adulthood, though, I'll have more legendaries), and it's mid-Autumn, so I'm figuring the problem is that I've simply planted 200 seeds in the past 5 months, and because my farmers and brewers are busy cleaning up the tons of goblinite on my front doorstep, I haven't been cutting through the backlog.  (Worse, I had pig tails cut off from brewing because I kept running out of pig tail cloth.)

That is, I think I harvested 159 seeds worth of pig tails without processing them back into seeds.  Who would have thought 200 isn't enough seeds?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare