Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necks  (Read 1114 times)

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necks
« on: September 24, 2007, 10:47:00 pm »

Because it seems like none of the DF creatures have any, and I want to break them.  :)
A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Necks
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 10:59:00 pm »

I like the idea of that. It would be a nice thing to be able to grab a creature by the head with one or both hands and snapping a neck or completely ripping off a head. Using both hands would grant a bonus to the snap/rip attack succeeding, based on strength of attacker and creature attacked, wrestling skill, and maybe with a small random element tossed in.

Just picture it, high-skill wrestlers would become a lot more dangerous, and just imagine how epic it would be to have an exceptionally strong adventurer rip the head off an elephant or something as equally heroic.

[ September 25, 2007: Message edited by: Skeeblix ]

This is not a signature.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 12:38:00 am »

Combat wrestling is SO much different than wrestling for sport. Cause in a fight, you aim to kill your opponent as quickly as possible, not pin him and wait for the count. I mean jeeze, get someone from the UFC and a legendary wrestler in a ring? Guy would get his neck snapped in 10 seconds tops.

That should be reflected in-game. It takes barely a few pounds of pressure to snap a human neck, such an attack should be a single move.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 04:39:00 am »

I once gave [JOINT] tag to necks (or maybe throats).
Even if untrue it made wrestling a bit more interesting.
But, it wasn't deadly enough.
And you could break it only with hands.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 09:38:00 am »

Well, yeah, simply adding necks isn't nearly the same thing; this is part and parcel of advancing the complexity of bodies in general, as there's no nervous system to speak of either (which means no spinal cord injuries and thus no true neck-breaking).
A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Jeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 10:43:00 am »

What are you talking about?  There are necks in adventure mode...

quote:
You bash The wolf in the head with your copper maul!
It is battered!
The wolf's left eye has been blackened!
The wolf's throat has been blackened!
The wolf's neck has been broken!
The wolf falls over.

See?  Light damage overall but the broken neck causes the wolf to fall over! (And start to suffocate)

Whoa, adding the [JOINT] tag to necks IS fun!

quote:
You grab The frogman by the head with your right upper arm!
The frogman misses You!
You lock The frogman's neck with Your right upper arm!
The frogman misses You!
You break The frogman's neck!
The frogman falls over.
The frogman misses You!
You release the grip of Your right upper arm from The frogman's head.
The frogman has suffocated.

No nervous system?

quote:
Your upper spine has been broken!
You lose hold of the bronze shield.
You lose hold of the copper maul.

[ September 25, 2007: Message edited by: Jeon ]

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 04:43:00 pm »

Yeah, there is a [NERVOUS] tag you know...
Am I really the only one interested in modding body parts?
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 04:48:00 pm »

I was too, but the next version is coming up so soon i figured i would wait.

The grab-lock-break system is a little ackward. Do you think it could be streamlined in some way?

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 04:14:00 am »

I looked in the files and didn't see any.  Hm, guess I'll have to make it a joint then.

Suggestion modified: Make necks a joint by default.    :p

EDIT: And now that I've actually tried this, I have to wonder why it is that a child with a broken neck whose only other injury is a cut to the lower body can still move and breathe along the floor.  As far as I understand the nervous system and broken necks, if it's broken everything underneath should *not* be working at all.  So, yeah, they exist, and you can turn necks into joints, but you can't *quite* just break someone's neck and get a one hit kill.

- The kid eventually did suffocate, but I still question the capacity for someone to move as well as the timeframe for dying.

[ September 26, 2007: Message edited by: BDR ]

A Kobold''s Quest II

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 11:37:00 am »

Do keep in mind that with a spear you can stab out both eyes, the neck, the brain, and one lung with a single attack.
(I've seen it happen)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 01:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BDR:
<STRONG>I have to wonder why it is that a child with a broken neck whose only other injury is a cut to the lower body can still move and breathe along the floor.
</STRONG>

It might(and might not) be that the upper body is the "base node" for bodies, in that case it might mean that the child can't use its head, as there is a broken [NERVOUS] part betwean it and the "base node"!  :D

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 02:18:00 pm »

Huh, so in other words your theory is that [NERVOUS] only affects the ability for this "base node" to talk to the other nodes?  That *could* make sense, I suppose, since the throat is a part of [BREATHE] and so if it can't be communicated to no breathing goes on, thus suffication, and it'd also account for still being able to move across the floor.  If you're right, though, it'd make a lot more sense to make the head the "base node" for *at least* any creatures with the [THOUGHT] tag.

Draco: Yes, that happens; does that mean it's ok to have inaccuracies like these?  IMO it takes a lot of the shock value and awesomeness out of snapping someone's neck for them to still be able to move and try to hit me.

A Kobold''s Quest II

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 04:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BDR:
<STRONG>it'd make a lot more sense to make the head the "base node" for *at least* any creatures with the [THOUGHT] tag.

</STRONG>

Actually, I think you can *theoretically* fix that whit a *lot* of editing the raws, but probably more of a hassle than its worth.

You might find it interesting to take a look at the body_default file in the raws.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 05:13:00 pm »

Urgh. I guess that's a solution, but if what I'm thinking is what you're thinking of (giving head the upperbody tags) I wouldn't be surprised if that gave me some odd results (not to mention the already-noted necessity to rewrite a lot of the raws).

A Kobold''s Quest II