Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 48

Author Topic: Sparkgear Seven - Retarded but Optimistic  (Read 82341 times)

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gear Prime - A Sparkgear fork - Pregame Discussion
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 06:02:37 pm »

It took three world-gens, but I found a site that could work. It's a terrifying glacier bordering an arctic ocean. It has a magma pipe and a sedimentary layer. There's a small strip of ocean bordered by ice on two sides, plenty of potential for construction. We'd have to handle skeletal polar bears and the like, and judging by reports from the Relentless Assault thread, the cold could damage invaders.

Another option is an evil jungle I found in one of the genned worlds, it has plenty of volcanos. The tradoff is sedimentary stone vs. a stream. The only sedimentary stone I could find near a volcano was located in an area with no streams, but a brook is mentioned in the embark screen. The underwater building could be located in the quarry, which would be flooded eventually.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 07:16:15 pm »

Hey, I'm gonna put up a new version of the mod tonight.  Shouldn't matter for world gen, though, just a few balance issues, that sort of thing.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2009, 09:07:12 pm »

Hmm... the ocean thing would work best if it was like a 3x5 or 3x6 embark with 3x3+ of it being ocean.  There seems to be some confusion as to what exactly I was thinking of...

Here's how it works:
Step 1: build a magma duct out to the edge of the ocean.  This takes time, but its for awesome.  Have some strategically placed hatches

Step 2: place some magma-safe bins with lignite (or similar) in them over the hatches

Step 3: Complete the following reaction: magma + bin (Lignite) -> bin (!!lignite!!)

Step 4: drain magma off somewhere (leaving a little bit is ok)

Step 5: open hatches, dropping bins(!!lignite!!) into ocean near map edges, watch oceans evaporate as your heat generator that is impossible to put out vaporizes all the water.  You now have empty ocean bottom.

Step 6: build up from ocean floor level in what would be 6 z-levels of water.

Step 7: replenish bins(!!lignite!!) occasionally - they eventually burn out.

Step 8: finish construction

Step 9: don't replace bins(!!lignite!!) - water fills in around your fortress, which is now built on the sea floor in many z-levels of water and from *not* obsidian.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 02:01:28 am »

This small sliver of ocean is more than enough for an underwater structure. Considering Sparkgear 6 was completely contained within a 2x1 area, and the result was merely constrictive for an entire fortress containing dozens, such a spot would be adequate for a well planned structure constucted of individually crafted glass blocks. As an added bonus, the spot would only have one tile length of water perimeter, reducing the amount of lignite you'd have to drop.
While we're at it, the lignite method worries me, because water will be trying to rush into the empty construction site throughout the construction process. It sounds like a serious FPS hit, and a save with unplayable FPS gets skipped. Not everyone will be willing to brave single-digit FPS just to build an underwater structure, so make sure it's a viable idea for this game.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 02:55:30 am »

How deep is the water?  If its one or two z-levels its (1) not especially awesome and (2) there are easier ways to do it (massive pump battery).

I mean, the real awesome is the fact that you can build in what was or would be 10+ z-levels of water.  To get 10+ z-levels of water, you need to get away from the shore.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 03:38:04 am »

This small sliver of ocean is more than enough for an underwater structure. Considering Sparkgear 6 was completely contained within a 2x1 area, and the result was merely constrictive for an entire fortress containing dozens, such a spot would be adequate for a well planned structure constucted of individually crafted glass blocks. As an added bonus, the spot would only have one tile length of water perimeter, reducing the amount of lignite you'd have to drop.
While we're at it, the lignite method worries me, because water will be trying to rush into the empty construction site throughout the construction process. It sounds like a serious FPS hit, and a save with unplayable FPS gets skipped. Not everyone will be willing to brave single-digit FPS just to build an underwater structure, so make sure it's a viable idea for this game.

In addition to what Squirrelloid said about the importance of ocean depth, having more ocean also allows for a bigger, grander ocean structure: after all, once the walls have been laid, the ocean can be let back in, and then the fortress can grow from there. If we include the sea, we should make it a more significant focus.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 04:14:53 am »

Okay, got version 1.0 of Relentless Assault up.  It adds a new trading race, which was a common request, as well as fixing a couple bugs and boosting megabeasts.  You should be able to regen the world using the same seed and get the same site.

And if you're signing up people for rounds yet I'll take whatever's closest.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 04:17:08 am by nil »

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 05:40:38 am »

I suppose it should be added that either everyone is on-board with the idea of building on the (deep) sea floor or we should scrap the idea.  This is a multi-year, probably decade-long, project that either we're doing as a group or we're not.  Heck, laying the magma-duct groundwork will probably take a full year or so of fortress time.

(I'd also recommend putting an immigration/birth cap on population to avoid total FPS kill, in order to accomodate the additional FPS demands imposed by playing with water and magma.  ~50 dwarves should be sufficient without killing FPS for most people too much).

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 01:40:12 pm »

If it's a matter of committing to it or not, I'm going to have to go with no, unless you can convince me that this would be more fun than urbanizing a terrifying jungle or forest. Seeing as nil provided us with a new version of the mod, I've genned a new world. It has a generously sized evil ocean, which I explore after I get home in a few hours. Preliminary exploration reveals plenty of evil land sites with sedimentary stone. I suggest we dwarf up and try to make do with coal-based forging. Discuss all of that and I'll be back to piece together some kind of acceptable solution.
Also, to state the obvious, my save won't be up in three and a half hours. I hope to have the save files up tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 01:48:56 pm by AlienChickenPie »

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 02:50:58 pm »

Can I have spot number 2? ;)
Also, any decent Sparkgear MUST have magma, so thats in.

Haunted regions get depopulate after a decade, so I don't think that's worth it.

A permanent water source is of course also a must.

An aquifer could make the quarry fun, but only for the person who have to breach it, so thats not really worth it either.

So I'll suggest a large site (We're building aboveground!), 4x4 or 5x5, with magma, flux and iron, which means it'll have to extend over 2 biomes to get the features.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 03:35:33 pm »

I for one am interested of contributing to a huge underwater project.

If we are going to be playing in the mainland, I do second Danarca. Magma (pipe) and sourced water are a must to keep the place interesting.

I recently got a really great worldgen with the dig deeper, but I have found that the parameters I used are prone to generate very interesting regions almost every go. I urge you to have a go.

The parameters are here

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2009, 04:08:49 pm »

I might want to participate on spot number 3 but...

is it taken? And rather later to drastically modify your efforts with my superb ideas =D
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2009, 08:01:16 pm »

I believe that the thread name should be changed to "Sparkgear - The Magnificent Seven" after a movie with a similar name.

"They were seven - And they fought like seven hundred!"

"An oppressed village assembles seven gunfighters to help defend their homes"

Because of these, we need a machinegun crossbow corps of seven.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2009, 09:13:01 pm »

The game is on. I settled on a site with magma, ice, sedimentary flux and a terrifying tundra. No running water, but ice crushing should be enough to keep the fort going.
The first post is updated with the turns. Danarca's turn on Monday, which technically began a hour and a half ago, will be shorter than usual, possibly much shorter than usual. If you'd like another turn, you can have Saturday.

1st Granite, 301
Log of Datan Zoncatten, Iron Chef
We have arrived. It's snow as far as the eye can see. I can feel the cold on my chin, but I don't believe a beard would have helped much at this temperature. Our most basic dwarven urges tell us to burrow and secure basic shelter before we all freeze to death. As members of the Human Appreciation Club, we resist those urges and work to emulate superior human culture, through construction among other things. In fact, we are the first of our club to apply our passion at this scale.
Two of us have begun work on our First Hall, carved out of the rock but standing proudly above the ground. Meanwhile, I'll be using my traditional human metalworking techniques to prepare picks and weapons.
Log of Mebzuth Kosotherith, Perforator
This is ridiculous. The Crown was dumb enough to send a bunch of delusional fools to build a city on the ice, but smart enough to send armed guards with them. Logem and I are here as guards, and we're both mountainhome girls, not built for this kind of weather. Datan denied our request to mine our own dwarven lodgings, because, in his words, it would "stifle immersion." At least he's enthusiastic enough about his "traditional human metalworking techniques" to make Logem a hammer instead of the one he made her leave behind for the sake of more of men's best friends, whatever those may be. Hopefully, they weren't the turtles, because all they're good for now is eating.

3rd Hematite, 301
Log of Sigun Uremsodel, Micronutrient Iron Chef
It's summer, or so says the calendar. Our two miners are still working on the First Hall and the farm building, and Datan just finished the copper pick he's been talking about for weeks. It's about time, because I've been getting tired of him asking me to cook him turtle pasta. I would love to make some, but he's been too busy instructing the miners to make sure the buildings match some sort of code he pulled out of his ass. When I told him about the southern human civilizations that utilized shallow caves, he scoffed and mumbled something about dwarven influence. Sometimes, it seems like he's more about distancing himself from the dwarven race and less about recreating human lifestyles. He still goes for the booze, though. Hypocrite.

23rd Hematite, 301
Log of Cog Arroskol, Arts and Crafts
The dwarves from the mountainhome are here. They seemed baffled and mildly entertained by the sight- two yet to be hollowed out houses carved out of the mountain, some workshops strewn around and a mound of snow that contains our wagon. You sure don't see anything like that in human towns. I made them some of the gearbox models they never get enough of back home, and in exchange we got some leather, cloth and cow's milk. Cow's milk cheese is great, so I'm not complaining.
Trading could have been better. The grand tour of the premises, which I offered to the traders, was cut short by a mining accident. Tulon, one of our miners, fell two storeys down while working on the roof of the First Hall. He broke his right hand and got some nasty abdominal wounds, but went right back to work. I will later congratulate him on his show of manl... Oh, crap. It happened again. He and cog fell down again. None of Tulon's wounds got worse, and Cog didn't break anything. Good show.

18th Galena, 301
Our first two structures are finally done, and as I write these words, our farmers are preparing farms. The next item on the agenda is to clear the First Hall and furnish it, and then arrange for dwellings on the second storey. Despite our raging success so far, two things worry me- the lack of migrants and the lack of a human caravan. This is the most successful dwarven human town in recent history, yet not a single visitor came except for those legally mandated to. I'm stumped.

17th Moonstone, 301
The gnomes are here! We have given them some of our prepared food and stone mechanisms in exchange for large amounts of human booze, a veritable zoo of meats and some plants to boot. They also seemed happy about their profit margins.
After I wrapped things up with the gnomes, I went right back to the construction work. We're currently preparing our third building, an apartment complex. It will be half as large as the First Hall, and contain rooms for all of us. Hopefully, it will shut those spoiled guards up.

1st Granite, 302
The apartment building is done. It has eight rooms, each one already furnished with a door, a chair and a table. The beds haven't been installed as an act of support for Tulon, the injured miner. If we allow him to succumb to dwarvenly rest, he will surely die in the cold, so he must not be allowed the comfort of a bad, and neither must we, until his hand mends.
This concludes my first year as the expedition leader. With housing and feeding taken care of, my successor is free to bother with industry, defense or the replication of human clothing fashions in dwarven form factors.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Save coming soon.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1549
Here's the save. Have Fun, danarca.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 09:22:18 pm by AlienChickenPie »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2009, 09:32:47 pm »

Is there bauxite?  Without a drawbridge, we're gonna need some sort of high powered trap to take care of the werewolves.  What are your feelings on traps that temporarily close off the fortress, like a string of retracting bridges that opens to cause everyone on it to fall a few z-levels?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 48