Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48

Author Topic: Sparkgear Seven - Retarded but Optimistic  (Read 81518 times)

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sparkgear Seven - Retarded but Optimistic
« on: October 30, 2009, 04:45:25 pm »

Sparkgear 7

Turns
Sunday, November 1: AlienChickenPie
Monday, November 2: Danarca
Tuesday, November 3: nil
Wednesday, November 4: Servu
Thursday, November 5: DaPatman
Friday, November 6: Rosedrake
Saturday, November 7: Ezk1
Sudnay, November 8: Barbarossa the Seal God
Monday, November 9: Bloogonis
Tuesday, November 10: Skaltum
Wednesday, November 11: Lord Shonus
Thursday, November 12: nahkh
Friday, November 13: Squirreloid
Saturday, November 14: sir labreck
Sunday, November 15: Ezk1
Monday, November 16: The Architect
Tuesday, November 17: nil
Wednesday, November 18: Lord Shonus
Thursday, November 19: The Architect
Friday, November 20: AlienChickenpie
Saturday, November 21: Frogwarrior
Sunday, November 22: Sir Labreck
Monday, November 23: nil
Tuesday, November 24: Danarca
Wednesday, November 25: Greyjoy
Thursday, November 26: Katsuun
Friday, November 27: DaPatman
Saturday, November 28:
Sunday, November 29:
Monday, November 30:

Metagame Rules
1. This is the seventh succession game in the SparkGear line. Each turn is 24 hours, and changeover occurs at 2200GMT. The game is the latest version of DF, using the mod Relentless Assault.
2. Turns are reserved in advance, on a first-come-first-served basis. Newbies and veterans alike are invited. You may also ask to be a replacement for a given day or name a dwarf. To keep things fresh and reliable, slots are opened seven at a time, every Friday.
3. When it's your turn to play, make sure to post something in the thread so we know you're alive. If you don't post something the day before your turn, or within 6 hours of changeover, it is considered forfeit.
4. If you're going to finish late, request an extension from the next player in line. If no request is made, the turn is considered forfeit 3 hours after the changeover time.
5. If your turn is unplayable, it's skipped. Don't submit saves with horrid FPS or goblins in the dining room. Unless they're caged or something.
6. A forfeit turn may be claimed by the first person who asked to be a replacement for that day. Life sign rules still apply.
7. If neither the assigned player nor the replacement show a life sign, the first player to ask for the turn after their time is up receives it.

Game Rules
1. The game is Dwarf Fortress 40d, modded with Relentless Assault by nil.
2. Don't shut in, an impenetrable fortress is boring to watch and produces no Fun.
3. Dwarves may only use spaces above ground level. This may be achieved by building up from the ground or by lowering the ground level around a volume of stone. A building may contain one cellar level below the entrance. This is not very well defined, you are trusted to interpret it honestly and well.
4. If you need stone, use an open-air quarry. That means sending dwarves to remove ground layer by layer, creating a large pit.
5. You must maintain the military and/or defensive installations. Sending wave after wave of civilians will only amuse the treants.
6. Make sure your levers are tidily arranged and concentrated. Add a note on each lever. If you fail to do so, no one will use your magma espresso machine.
7. If you feel like you must cheat or reclaim, give people a chance to talk you out of it first.
8. Each player must state a challenge or a goal at the beginning of their turn. These are meant to give players an aim and keep things interesting. Completing the stated goals is recommended but not mandatory.
9. The number of military dwarves shall be at least 40 dwarves or 40% of the population. Military dwarves are those in active service, or Elites temporarily deactivated to crosstnain with civilian jobs.

Challenges
Players may choose to take on one of these challenges, or make up their own.
-Make the water generator repeatable by exploiting the fact that water tiles get "topped up" while frozen
-Build Indifference Hospital, a magma heated hospital with good access to drinking water
-Find an entertaining or productive way to dispose of or utilize prisoners of war
-Enhance the fort's skyline with more tall or pretty structures
-Design a new and exciting trap to kill or capture invaders
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 01:28:09 am by AlienChickenPie »

DaPatman

• Bay Watcher
  • GoL FTW!
    • View Profile
Re: Gear Prime - A Sparkgear fork - Pregame Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 05:32:59 pm »

Those rules look like they should work fine. (Or at least better than SGVI. (Then again, any ruleset that doesn't include a civ of HFS is infinitely better than any ruleset that does.))

Put me down for Thursday.
I don't want to set the world on fire
Oh wait, I do.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 10:28:10 pm »

4x4, haunted or terrifying oceanside. Magma a must-have.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 10:57:10 pm »

I'll just take a dwarf, any dwarf is fine, at any time, as well.

As for a location...

3x3/4x4/4x3/3x4 Terrifying area, magma, and HFS. Yes, open air mining. But still, who DOESN'T want Fun? xD

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 04:26:02 am »

Obisidian farms are fun, so infinite water source if possible. Also, maybe we should mod in orcs over something like humans.

It would be good to get a world where all world gen civs survive as well to maximize the first-time experience of RA.

Also, if even replacements fail, turn is open to first poster.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 04:29:36 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 05:08:14 am »

If it ends up being this i'm totally playing.  Especially if land space is limited and there's a lot of ocean tiles.  You know what that says to me?  Glass fortress on the sea floor!  (mmmm... !!lignite!! in magma-proof bins...)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 05:16:24 am »

Gear Prime: over 9000 leagues under the sea
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Ezk1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 05:30:45 am »

If I understanded right, you can only go 1 z-level down, and use that as cellar.
And for the "open air mining", can you do it like this

MMMMMMM
MCCCCCCM
MCCCCCCM
MCCCCCCM
MMMEEMM
ggggggggg
gggggggg

M=Mountain
C=cave where you get stones
E=Enterance
g=ground

Ofcourse, this would be happening only at 1 z-level, not going up or down.

Or did you mean that dig EPIC hole in the ground,get stone this way, and see what we do whit it in end of month :D (Make it pretty wide to every direction, and then BIG bridge on it, there is place where legends born, and great fights for safety of fortress will be fight!).

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 05:39:22 am »

If it ends up being this i'm totally playing.  Especially if land sp+ace is limited and there's a lot of ocean tiles.  You know what that says to me?  Glass fortress on the sea floor!  (mmmm... !!lignite!! in magma-proof bins...)

This! Anyway, I can take Wednesday. I have all day free.

Edit: By the way, I live in eastern Europe, so my turn begins at midnight here. I might need to sleep over the night before starting so my reply can get delayed by 12 hours tops. (I usually wake at noon)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 05:43:44 am by Servu »

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 06:46:17 am »

Open air quarries could go as deep as you'd like them to be. Just go one level below the surface and designate a large rectangle of up ramps. After they're done, designate all but a few of the ramps for removal. This clears the first layer and gives you the stone in it. Repeat this method as many times as you'd like. A few game decades of digging could leave you with a giant hole in the ground where you could build interesting stuff.
You could also do this in a fashion by shaving off one side of a mountain, or working from the mountaintop.
Also, I can see some cases that could be an exception, such as tunnels bored through the mountain or magma pumping machinery.

The world is genned, and I'm looking for sites. The map has an evil ocean, which includes terrifying areas. The shoreline has no magma, but there is at least one woodland biome bordering the ocean, as well as sedimentary stone everywhere. Looking for magma pipes with the site finder found mostly uninteresting sites with no sedimentary stone. I'll be looking for more sites with the site finder, but it's my personal opinion that an oceanside terrifying site with a decent amount of stone and sedimentary layers (full of delicious coal and iron ores) could make up for the lack of magma, and make things more challenging.

Edit: By the way, I live in eastern Europe, so my turn begins at midnight here. I might need to sleep over the night before starting so my reply can get delayed by 12 hours tops. (I usually wake at noon)
This is okay. Just make sure you make your presence known on Tuesday. If you'll need time on top of the 12 hours you'll have left, feel free to ask.

Obisidian farms are fun, so infinite water source if possible. Also, maybe we should mod in orcs over something like humans.

It would be good to get a world where all world gen civs survive as well to maximize the first-time experience of RA.

Also, if even replacements fail, turn is open to first poster.
I have no problem with adding modifications on top of the mod, but I'd also like to give nil a chance to see his mod in action and improve it. Unless you're aware of some serious issues with the mod that need fixing for proper gameplay, I suggest we start using it as it is and find out what it's like before we start adding or changing things.
As for replacements, I'll add that. If neither the player nor the replacement show a life sign, the turn goes to the first person to ask for it after the time is up.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 07:08:28 am by AlienChickenPie »

rosedrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 09:14:37 am »

i'm taking spot number 6.

for the open air quarry to not be depressing, we'd need... a non aquifer map.

the map had better be a 3x3... i agree with the oceanside thing! make half the map the sea.

please give the dorves novice swimming as a starter skill.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 03:06:23 pm »

For the seaside, especially a large swath of sea with the intention of building below the waves, magma is absolutely essential and not replaceable.  You need to be able to cause lignite -> !!lignite!!.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 04:09:06 pm »

Why bother with more than two or three tiles of ocean? Is there something to gain from having a large amount of ocan tiles? As for ocean-side magma, I'll try genning another world and see if I find any.

DaPatman

• Bay Watcher
  • GoL FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 04:53:52 pm »

Why bother with more than two or three tiles of ocean? Is there something to gain from having a large amount of ocan tiles?
No point having a fortress in the ocean if there's barely any ocean for it to be in.
I don't want to set the world on fire
Oh wait, I do.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 05:07:18 pm »

3x3 magma and HFS. lowlands if possible :D and i'll take the 4th
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48